AHU into Cabriolet, AC questions

Oilheat456

TDI
98 Jetta AHU, 78 Rabbit AHU
Here's a problem I have not run into before. I have swapped my AHU powertrain a couple of times; first into a '92 A2 Jetta, then into a '78 Rabbit.
Both times with complete harness, dbw controls, ECU, and instrument panel.

But both times I went the minimalist route, no AC, no FCM, no H2O glow plugs; hell, no vacuum pump or brake assist on the Rabbit. I reduced the wiring harness accordingly.

My current situation is this: I acquired another '98 Jetta donor car. I was just going to go ahead and fix this one up (123k mi.) and be happy with it. Yhen I figured out that the reason it was so cheap was accident damage that actually shortened the wheelbase on the right side of the car. ( put some new junkyard bumpers on and list it on Ebay, see if someone will buy it).
So now I have another donor car, and I have the rusted-out Rabbit with the hotrod engine and trans (166k mi.). AND I have a wonderful '89

Cabriolet that is flawless cosmetically and body-and-frame wise, but has serious mechanical issues.

No-brainer, right? But I would really like to have AC in the finished vehicle.
The cabby already has AC, on the failing gas engine, so everything is already there, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Will the compressor on the AHU fit into the cabby engine compartment?
Some of the threads on here show the front crossmember being cut away for compressor clearance. I don't want to do this. If the compressor will fit in,

2. will the AC hoses from the cabby be suitable for the AHU compressor?

3. If I decide to keep the cabby compressor. I am pretty sure that the accessory mounting bracket will bolt onto the side of the AHU block, but

I will be stuck with that horrible v-belt system and

4. will the v-belt drive pulley bolt onto the front of the AHU crank, with
or without the harmonic damper?

I am pretty sure the answers to these queries would become clear once I test-fit the drive train five or six times, but I'm hoping some of you who have already done it could spare me some labor.

Respectfully Submitted, Bruce R.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Easiest route is to use the sd16v compressor on the AHU, an yes you will have to clearance the core. You could probably use the cabrio compressor but I am positive that would a larger undertaking.
There are adapters available to use the cabrio hoses on the AHU's compressor.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Yeah, nobody is clearancing the core, if they don’t have to. Alh wouldn’t require core mods, but that’s a moot point.

If you complete this, post up your solution.

-Todd