Engine shudder when coming to a stop...

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
You sound like you got the classic slowdown shudder. AFAIK, the only way to deal with this is by making changes in the quantity adjustment through VAG-COM.

It's a shame you don't have accesss to the VAG-COM, as the fix is easy.

The resolution of this issue was noteworthy, as the problem received much attention and many ideas, before GoFaster ultimately worked it out. You can read about it in the FAQ.

Good luck!

carlisle

Veteran Member
TDI
Two '98 Beetles, one '03 Jetta (ALH), and one '98 Jetta (AHU)
I adjusted mine with VAGCOM and it still does it a little. The most I could get the idle inj. quantity up to was about 4.5 mg/R using that method. It seemed to make a little difference at first, but things still studder occasionally at idle. Problem is better but not completely gone with warm engine.

Is there a way to get the inj. quantity any higher, say closer to 8 or 9 mg/R?

CHRIS

Deception

Veteran Member
Is this infamous "engine shudder" the slight jerking the car makes when rolling in 1st gear (no "throttle") on a level surface as the car decelerates?

[ November 04, 2002, 03:23: Message edited by: Deception ]

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Deception, you're experiencing something other than the "classic" shudder.

The shudder many of us have experienced is as you come up to a stop (~ 5 mph) in neutral with the clutch engaged (foot off the clutch pedal) and the brakes being applied.

In my car, it's more noticeable in colder weather. In warm weather and with good fuel from California, I don't feel it at all.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Originally posted by red golf tdi:
I have this same problem, and I have a VAG-COM!

How can I adjust this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Check out section 7.h of the FAQ. It describes the procedure.

Beezle

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle, technoblue
Clarification: the big "TDIFAQ" button at the top of the page. the little forum faq won't help you much.

I dunno if I had a bowl of stupid for breakfast that day or what, but that one had me confused for a while the first time.