fuel mileage, recall/defeat device in all cars?

qsabe

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
My 2011 Jetta Sportwagen has 38,000 miles, only city driving has been when going through a city on the way to someplace else. I live south of Detroit on Lake Erie. First trip was to Florida and back down I-75. MPG averaged above 45. Next trip was to Acadia Park on Maine's coast. Driving through Ohio instead of Ontario with the navigator set to avoid freeways and toll roads. Average was slightly under 45. Driving to W Virginia via Pittsburgh, average was between 42 - 45. Driving to Long Beach, Ca varied average, 42-45 on four week trip. For kicks I took a 60 mile round trip ride on a long straight road with low usage, driving at 40 to 45 mph starting full and fill up at trip end. That was 52mpg. Had my yearly done in April of 2015. The dealer said my computer had to be reprogrammed for an emissions problem. Just returned from a western trip up to Duluth, Mn then I 90 to Yellowstone park and back. Driving 75 - 85 mph. Mileage was constant 39-41 mpg .... I think they tried to fix the problem last spring. It has been known about for a year and a half.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
I'm new to the forum and 2 months new to my 2011 golf tdi (6 speed manual). I bought the car from the dealer certified pre-owned in nearly immaculate condition, 17k miles.

apologies if this question has been covered in the past few days, but I've spent some time looking and, so far, nothing.

like many newbies on here, I've been a little surprised by the people boasting 50-60mpg. I do most of my driving around town, so I don't expect as much, but around town I'm usually getting low 30s. On the hwy-only trips I've taken, the best I've gotten is 42mpg, driving about 70 the entire way (I80 is straight as an arrow and flat here in iowa). The car has new tires (VW 17" wheels with conti tires), new filters and everything else required for the dealer to sell as certified pre-owned. I have the recommended 38psi in the tires.

this is probably far-fetched, wishful thinking, but is there any chance that because I just got my car from the dealer two months ago, that the software "defeat device" isn't on my vehicle and I'm seeing lower gas mileage than others because the emissions system actually *is* working on my car.

otherwise, like other people, I'm scratching my head wondering why I'm not breaking the low 40s in mpg. I drive the stick very conservatively, often shifting up before the little arrow even turns on and never downshifting to break with the engine. I drive with a light foot.
I have a MK4 and get upper 50's so are you sure you are not getting generations mixed up?
speed is a killer as far as mileage goes. realistically, any mpg is attainable, but at a cost. either slow down, get better tires, overinflate your tires (I keep mine at 50psi)make the car more aerodynamic, etc....
there is a thread about getting better mileage here but if you want a different twist read these:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I have a MK4 and get upper 50's so are you sure you are not getting generations mixed up?
http://
Well, knowing what we know after reading this thread, you're either a liar, or you're doing extraordinary things...lol.

Just kiddin' of course.:D

I hope nobody with a newer gen VW is getting confused with the MPG of the old ALH cars. We also have to keep in mind that our old ALH cars are only 90HP (or at least they were when they were new...lol). Less power, less fuel.

I don't pay much attention of the MPG of the newer cars. I know a half a dozen people that own 2012-2015 VW TDI's, and none of them even know what their MPG is. If you ask, they'll say 50...but that's only because that's what VW told them, not because they actually checked...lol. Some people simply do not care enough to calculate it.

Rem

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
FWIW, these are my results from as close to 100% highway as a person can get. I've driven this car through 46 states in the last 18 months.

She seems to be breaking in nicely. Fuel economy numbers have been slowly but steadily improving since I passed 100k :D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well, knowing what we know after reading this thread, you're either a liar, or you're doing extraordinary things...lol.

I don't pay much attention of the MPG of the newer cars. I know a half a dozen people that own 2012-2015 VW TDI's, and none of them even know what their MPG is. If you ask, they'll say 50...but that's only because that's what VW told them, not because they actually checked...lol. Some people simply do not care enough to calculate it.

Rem
Thanks for proving my point for me!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Thanks for proving my point for me!
Haha...well, proving your point wasn't necessarily my point...lol, but that's fine.

The people that actually check and monitor their fuel mileage are a pretty small percentage of the population imho. And now that modern car's actually display MPG, I'm sure most people don't even bother to actually check it. I keep saying...good fuel mileage is like a hobby all on it's own, if you're into that sort of thing.

Deejaaa up there get's fantastic mileage. It's no secret however that he's an avid hyper-miler. A tip of the hat to him...he gets his fantastic mpg consistently, which takes quite a bit of dedication and discipline.

Comparing your own personal MPG to what you read online isn't really a very good comparison. A guy traveling a smooth flat interstate every day is certainly going to get better MPG than a guy traveling the hills or in the city every day. Those differences are often not mentioned (or ignored when mentioned).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Haha...well, proving your point wasn't necessarily my point...lol, but that's fine.

Comparing your own personal MPG to what you read online isn't really a very good comparison. A guy traveling a smooth flat interstate every day is certainly going to get better MPG than a guy traveling the hills or in the city every day. Those differences are often not mentioned (or ignored when mentioned).
Again you make my point exactly here. One person pops in and says he can get 50+ mpg, but is driving mostly highway miles. While the OP is mostly city miles. Where and how you drive is a huge influence on your economy. Failing to mention these when discussing fuel economy leads to disappointment when someone not familiar with these cars buys one and expects to get stellar economy numbers with a poor driving cycle and skills.

The average person without trying or doing anything special, should be able to get EPA rated mileage easily. With a little knowledge, planning and some longer trips, they should be able to do much better. Listening to "friends" brag about their economy without proof (Fuelly or real number calculations) or conditions is entertaining at best.

As far as the OP having or not having the "defeat device" on their car, it is a mass produced device. It will have everything the other 11 million cars have. It isn't something the dealer can add or remove either.

I am done with this thread. The OP has probably gotten more than they wanted to know by now. I hope they enjoy their car and they can work on getting the fuel economy they desire. Elvis has left the building!

martindh

TDI
2014 Golf, white, 4dr
I drive commuter and city routes

2014 Golf TDI with DSG transmission so no advantage from a stick for me, commute is 70 miles drops from 2600 ft to near sea level overall, one twelve mile stretch can be coasted at 50-75 with a stick, I generally use cruise control set 55-60 and drive far right lane...part of this is that from 50 to 65 will lover your mileage considerably but it needs to be sage to drive 55 and sometimes I drive faster to avoid being a hazard. So today I drove off the freeway at my exit with 64.0 showing for 70 total miles. That's not an average, it is my best, my average for that trip is 57-59.

Then there is around town...live in Lancaster CA, north LA county, lots of lights and stop signs if you watch the lights and do some coasting to lights and stop signs, again with regards to traffic and safety, you can get above 40 driving around with a light every quarter mile or so, just so you know what I am talking about. True city driving. I never get under high 30's in town. I am not a true hyper miler, just willing to drive speed limits and accelerate slowly sometimes and coast to a stop where possible...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Unless you are stopping and topping off after every one of these little trips, you really have no idea what your economy is. The MFD display is not accurate to any extent. Around here we go by tank or multi tank averages with accurate calculated values. Not short little trips with whatever the MFD estimates. What you are doing also gives an inaccurate picture of what the economy of the car is. Most people can't coast down hill all the time.

I guess I am back.

Go to Fuelly and sign up for an account. Add the link in your signature like mine is. After 3 tanks we will see what your real economy is for your driving. My 2013 Passat always showed 52 to 53 mpg on my 35 mile all highway commute to work. Yet the tank averages were always 37 to 38 mpg. The rest of my driving brought it down. I would assume yours will be similar. If you are proud of your economy sign up for an account and display it for all to see.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
sorry if I didn't mention this:
2002 ALH, 5 speed. running 55-60 mph, 97% freeway, no a/c, extreme hypermile. that's how I do it. city driving will knock off 10 mpg after just 2 days.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
I'm new to the forum and 2 months new to my 2011 golf tdi (6 speed manual). I bought the car from the dealer certified pre-owned in nearly immaculate condition, 17k miles.

apologies if this question has been covered in the past few days, but I've spent some time looking and, so far, nothing.

like many newbies on here, I've been a little surprised by the people boasting 50-60mpg. I do most of my driving around town, so I don't expect as much, but around town I'm usually getting low 30s. On the hwy-only trips I've taken, the best I've gotten is 42mpg, driving about 70 the entire way (I80 is straight as an arrow and flat here in iowa). The car has new tires (VW 17" wheels with conti tires), new filters and everything else required for the dealer to sell as certified pre-owned. I have the recommended 38psi in the tires.

this is probably far-fetched, wishful thinking, but is there any chance that because I just got my car from the dealer two months ago, that the software "defeat device" isn't on my vehicle and I'm seeing lower gas mileage than others because the emissions system actually *is* working on my car.

otherwise, like other people, I'm scratching my head wondering why I'm not breaking the low 40s in mpg. I drive the stick very conservatively, often shifting up before the little arrow even turns on and never downshifting to break with the engine. I drive with a light foot.
We were getting 28MPG to 30MPG 100% all city driving in SPORT MODE DSG when the car was brand new. After 6000 miles started driving in D and CITY MPG went up to around 33MPG.

We took a trip to LA last year, set the cruise control at 70MPH with 3 people in the car, it was 100% all highway and got 44.7MPG. On the way back home I set the cruise to only 65MPH, filled the tank, drove home, then filled it again and we got exactly 46.1MPG.

6 Months later, I've installed a Stage 2 Malone Tune with DPF Delete, stainless downpipe, and DSG Tune, the power increase is incredible (especially the torque) and very deceiving, you have to be careful and pay close attention to your speed or you'll be driving 100MPH so effortlessly the TORQUE is very deceiving.

After these mods, we took another trip to LA Last week, same 3 people in the car, this time I filled up, and set the cruise to 62MPH, I filled up again when we returned and we got exactly 52.7MPG.

We drove 187.5 miles and it took EXACTLY 3.562 Gallons of Diesel to the CLICK.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Slowing down makes a huge effect on economy. Especially as you get close to 60 mph. Seems kind of pointless though to spend that kind of money on mods ($2k to $3k), only to set the cruise on 62 mph for economy. Especially since it would have probably been close to that without them and legal. The extra power is nice though if you like that sort of thing. I am having to get used to 90 hp instead of the 140 my Passat had.

man02195

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW JSW
I am so sorry I hurt your feelings by not defining that your almost all highway miles are extraordinary compared to the OP's posted question dealing with almost all city miles. Wouldn't you agree that someone that does nearly all their driving in town will never get your numbers? I drove my 2013 Passat for 3 years and the lifetime average was only around 37 to 38 mpg 50/50. On all highway I had numbers that resembled yours. It does a disservice to those that come here and ask their question as this poster did to have you do an inaccurate comparison of highway vs city economy and make them feel like anyone can get 50 mpg tank averages just driving around town.
I am not going to argue about it with you any more. The cars do very well economy wise on longer trips on the highway. They generally do the EPA rated averages +/- in urban situations.
Who said I was comparing my highway to his city driving? I never said that, I was comparing my mileage to his "42mpg, driving about 70 the entire way (I80 is straight as an arrow and flat here in iowa)" My highway driving is faster, much more elevation changes, and gets 50-60mpg.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

Wow, lots of off topic discussion here. To answer the original questions: Your car doesn't have any different tuning than other cars. It's simply not available.

Regarding your fuel economy, low 30s is possible depending on where and how you drive. If a lot of your around-town driving includes accelerating to 50 MPH and then stopping for another light, FE will suffer. I used to get 40+ in suburban driving, but in New England that's a fair amount of driving at low speeds on back roads with an occasional stop sign. So that can vary.

You don't mention how long the highway trip was. Good rule of thumb is to average FE over three full tanks to get a good reading, because getting an accurate fill for one tank is not always easy. I always fill my diesels until clear fuel is visible in the filler neck, but that is more difficult with the new restrictor.

Practice some of the fuel efficient driving techniques listed above, use your FE readout as a feedback device, and FE will get better.