Non-IMMO ECU/Key/Cluster...do I really need the key

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
Hi all,

After searching for a while, I've deemed this one a rare IMMO (or lack thereof) question...specifically because I've got a 98 NB cluster, key, and ECU.

After reading through the wiring diagrams on the Bentley, there's no reader coil/key reader on the list (until 99.5). This leads me to believe that I only need the ECU and cluster to match for me to start the car...

In other words, I should be able to cross-wire the NB harness bits to the MKII key switch and it should work, n'est pas?
Help a brother out.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
You are correct and to tell you the truth the cluster is needed either. But its a good thing.my 1999.5 TDI swap runs fine with only the ECU but I like the cluster for just the convienance of a Tach and Speedo. I plan to use a B4 cluster but I haven't worked it out yet.

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
Thanks man. That saves me having to get a MKIV reader. I've got one from a Mazda, which is apparently one of the best you can get, but now that I don't have to use it, hooray!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
no problem. Feel free to ask me about any questions or concerns you have as you get yours ready for the road. I've racked up a 1100 miles over the past 2 weeks and tomorrow I get to dyno the dzsl slc for its baseline HP before I do a chip and injectors then after I dyno I get to drive a friend a couple hundred miles so he can pick up his VRT Jetta. I'm looking forward to racking up the miles.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I have driven my 99.5 without the cluster.

I've heard that the cruse control won't work without the cluster in place.

-Jason

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
The IMMO started in the 2000 model year in North America. One sure way of telling is that if you have a 80 pin ECU there is no IMMO, 121 pins (or 160 like the BEW) means that you have an IMMO.