Finally...800 Mile Club!

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
Finally made the club today. 1305 KMs, 811 miles. Vented, of course. Went on a long trip featuring a 5 hour run through hilly, beautiful countryside with moderate (above freezing) temps and a strong tailwind. Was in no rush to get anywhere. Lightly loaded; just the 2 of us and a couple of bags.

tdila

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL

Keep cruising like this, it looks like it's not going to hard to reach 800 miles before the fuel light turns on.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
If I slipstream trucks 90% of a tank of gas at 70 mph using a bit of pulse and glide, 10% in town, I can still manage around 760 miles/tank.
Coming home from NC to KY after xmas, I slip streamed trucks for 300 miles and took a different route after that where the speed limit was 55. It was late and I decided to really focus on a soft pedal technique and maintain a gps speed of 59 and dropping to 50 on big hills, using my boost gauge as a guide. I'm now at 733 hoping to make a 850+ tank if I can just stay out of town driving. I have appx 40 miles of in town driving on this tank. And yes, driving this slow may make me crazy. lol... I think I could have done better by not slip streaming the trucks though. I just wouldn't feel safe going 50-60 in a 70 mph zone. :eek:
]

IMO "slip streaming" is a risk:

1) You can not see well of what is in front of the truck, or debris he may throw up at you, or sudden braking of the truck, or loss of driver concentration (because of having to diligently watch the 180,000 pound of steel & cargo 50(?) feet in front of you)

2) It works for the roundy round guys, but last time I looked they were separated by inches. :eek:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Agreed. A cracked windshield is far more expensive than a few mL of fuel. Paint isn't cheap either.
Debris, taken to the extreme (for me) is a "road alligator." 8-9 feet of a truck tire tread

I seriously doubt a "slipper" (at 50 feet?) would even see it before it was in his face.

Even with "slipping" there is this to consider.

And I do not know where the loss of MPG (higher speed) and gain of MPG (by slipping) equals out :confused:

According to studies backed by the department of energy, the average car will be at its advertised MPG at 55 mph. But as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph