Greetings from New Zealand - TDi Economy Comparison

Derwood99

TDI
2014 Golf TDi
Hi Everyone,
The current VW saga caused me to pause and consider my fuel consumption on my 2014 DSG TDi so I found this forum and was staggered at what I have found.
I have just topped off my car and managed 752 KM on 45.3 litres.
Put another way, 467 miles on 11.89 gallons!
If my maths is correct, 39.28 MPG...
This is my first diesel car so I must admit to being a tad ignorant as to what fuel consumption I should expect.
Cheers

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
Driving style dictates fuel economy. Seems as though your right at EPA estimates.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
For the new DSG 's that's about what I've been reading. Welcome to the club. Lots of good info on here.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
The more important question is which engine do you have? If I'm not mistaken, New Zealand got the 1.6 tdi as well

Derwood99

TDI
2014 Golf TDi
Is it what you expected it to be?
Probably a bit less. I drove a MK6 TDi until it was wiped out by a teenager with a cellphone on the wrong side of the road. I would average about 600 miles on a tank (around 950 km). I've never seen over 850 km from this car. I have certainly wondered what all the excitement re diesel was about as a friend has a TSi of the same vintage and our running costs are about the same. Having read the consumption figures on this forum, I can see why diesel is so attractive when not stifled by software.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
As you can see from my Fuelly signature, i'm getting 43 mpg (hand-calculated) for the lifetime of the car.

Back in May, I took a bit of time to compare the MT vs. DSG fuel economy numbers from Fuelly for the Mk7:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4807151&highlight=andyrooski17#post4807151

So it sounds like this one particular tank was just a bit below average, but i'm sure you'll see some better, some worse.