Wife drove home a fire truck, today

golfunv

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Two weeks ago, today, we picked up our JSW TDI from the dealer, they replaced DPF for the third time, in 76k miles.
Well today my wife calls me, from our daughter's daycare, saying her car is making whining noise while driving. Daycare is 1 mile from the house so i told her to drive it home, thinking it is just a belt making noise.
Well once i got home, I did some research, and concluded turbo is blown.
I am assuming 3 clogged DPFs, had something to do with turbo failing. What do you think my chances are VWoA will cover this repair?

Livefreeordie89

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
did you by chance get your oil change at the dealership? this sounds like they have not been using llo3 oil.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Two weeks ago, today, we picked up our JSW TDI from the dealer, they replaced DPF for the third time, in 76k miles.
Well today my wife calls me, from our daughter's daycare, saying her car is making whining noise while driving. Daycare is 1 mile from the house so i told her to drive it home, thinking it is just a belt making noise.
Well once i got home, I did some research, and concluded turbo is blown.
I am assuming 3 clogged DPFs, had something to do with turbo failing. What do you think my chances are VWoA will cover this repair?
Why not wait for diagnosis from dealer? If turbo failed, ask for help from VWOA considering the experience you have had to date.

golfunv

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I did oil changes, and ensured correct oil was used. I did accedently purchase and use non low ash formula once, but it was in the car for only 3k miles. since two oilchanges were performed with corect oil.

My dilema:
If i take it in to a dealer and VWoA refuses to do anythign i am out $350 for tow in, tow out and diagnostic.
I checked and repair bill is just about $3k
I found a used turbo for $550+shipping (34k miles) and another 200 in msc parts, i can have the car back on the road under $800.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
do you have aaa that may help your tow bill, I would spend the cash to get it to VW, sounds like VWoA should help you out in some way if the two are connected, this sucks

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
I have a basic AAA style towtow/disabled package from my auto insurance, think it's .60 cents a month. Turbo probably failed from all those clogged DPF's or the root cause which is most likely the wrong oil. Tough to say if they'll cover it, have any documentation saying which oil your car has had? Was it a VW dealer that has been servicing your car? If it was the wrong oil and it was a VW dealer I'd say they would cover it for you.

golfunv

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I used to have AAA, but with 35K mile FTI and 78K mile JSW, both 2010, i didn't think i would need AAA or tow package from my insurance. Last time i purchased AAA i had to wait x amount of days before i was able to use towing service. I will give thema call and see what they say.

I Performed all of the oil changes after 30K, Gold Castrol bottle, and have recepts showing i purchased the oil from VW dealer.

3rd DPF was replaced two weeks ago, all 3 were done under waranty.
Funny fact, or not so much, is that this past weekend we almoset traded it in for a 2014 CC

EDIT: Thank you guys! I didn't think of AAA, but i called them today and Monday morning i will be eligible for 100 mile tow. She is going in to VW first.

Last edited:

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
Non low ash oil isn't going to blow your turbo up. The only thing it will do is clog your turbo up faster.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Non low ash oil isn't going to blow your turbo up. The only thing it will do is clog your turbo up faster.
Wouldn't a clogged or partially clogged DPF lead to premature turbo failure? Sounds like VW should pick up the tab from what I'm hearing but it will need to by their own free will.

Supaflygti

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Sounds like it's time for a DPF delete and avoid the problem all together...assuming you're in a state that you can get with it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
AAA Plus is the biggest lifesaver out there. I just had my son's TDI towed from his home in western MA to my local guru, cost $16 for additional miles over 100 (it's 104 miles) and tolls. This is probably the third time in as many years. I wouldn't own a car without it, especially an older one.

I agree on the clogged DPF failure taking out the turbo. Don't know if it's the oil, however.

golfunv

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Dealer confirmed bad turbo($3200), called VWoA should hear back by EOB tomorow.
Let's pray for a Christmas present from VWoA :).

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Just saying 3200$ is kind of high; maybe you should consider a DPF delete and CR170 upgrade; at least you'll get more power and stage 3 reliability.

Seriously though, they should cover this.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I used to have AAA, but with 35K mile FTI and 78K mile JSW, both 2010, i didn't think i would need AAA or tow package from my insurance. Last time i purchased AAA i had to wait x amount of days before i was able to use towing service. I will give thema call and see what they say.

I Performed all of the oil changes after 30K, Gold Castrol bottle, and have recepts showing i purchased the oil from VW dealer.

3rd DPF was replaced two weeks ago, all 3 were done under waranty.
Funny fact, or not so much, is that this past weekend we almoset traded it in for a 2014 CC

EDIT: Thank you guys! I didn't think of AAA, but i called them today and Monday morning i will be eligible for 100 mile tow. She is going in to VW first.
Three DPFs and now a turbo? Yikes.
What VeeDubTDI said. I think there is something going on with the engine that's causing it to soot heavily and clog the DPF up fast and/or the engine spends a lot of time in active regen mode.

What is your driving style like? Do you "drive it like you stole it" or baby it and rarely get on the power? TDIs don't like to be babied for long periods and need to be worked regularly to prevent problems. Long highway on-ramps are good places to put your foot into it and get the RPMs up to around 4000 RPM before each shift.

Do you do mostly short trips (i.e., less than 15 minute duration) or long hauls on the highway? Short trips increase the possibility of interrupting an active regeneration in progress when the car is shut down. The regen operation will try again on the next (short) trip, only to get interrupted AGAIN due to the trip being so short. The result is the ECU never gets to complete the regen and the DPF is being torched all the time. The turbo sees much higher exhaust gas temps (EGTs) during a regen operation and may increase the chance of failure. The turbo may see a shorter life due to operation at high EGTs all the time.

I'm not saying this is the problem but I think there is something going on that is causing it to clog up the DPF in a hurry and the turbo becomes the next victim.

Hope you get it all taken care of.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MontrealTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI w/DSG
Isn't there an indicator light that comes on before the DPF gets too clogged? Supposed to take it out on the highway for a number of minutes if it comes on according to the manual.

Just curious if OP got that warning light before any of the parts started breaking.

golfunv

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
What VeeDubTDI said. I think there is something going on with the engine that's causing it to soot heavily and clog the DPF up fast and/or the engine spends a lot of time in active regen mode.

What is your driving style like? Do you "drive it like you stole it" or baby it and rarely get on the power? TDIs don't like to be babied for long periods and need to be worked regularly to prevent problems. Long highway on-ramps are good places to put your foot into it and get the RPMs up to around 4000 RPM before each shift.

Do you do mostly short trips (i.e., less than 15 minute duration) or long hauls on the highway? Short trips increase the possibility of interrupting an active regeneration in progress when the car is shut down. The regen operation will try again on the next (short) trip, only to get interrupted AGAIN due to the trip being so short. The result is the ECU never gets to complete the regen and the DPF is being torched all the time. The turbo sees much higher exhaust gas temps (EGTs) during a regen operation and may increase the chance of failure. The turbo may see a shorter life due to operation at high EGTs all the time.

I'm not saying this is the problem but I think there is something going on that is causing it to clog up the DPF in a hurry and the turbo becomes the next victim.

Hope you get it all taken care of.

Good luck.
When they replaced last DPF (3rd), they also re flashed the ECU, hopefully that will solve any future DPF issues.

As far as driving habits, its wife's daily driver, and she puts on about 20K per year. her daily commute is 28 miles each way.

What's labor? 5 hours I think right? That isn't horrible.
I am not sure of labor time, but considering that DPF has to be removed(thats what i was told), i think its more like 10-12 hours. Because VWoA is paying for parts, i am only paying warranty labor rate. Total comes to around $800.
That is what i budgeted for doing it my self, with used turbo and install kit (gaskets/bolts). In addition we got a loaner car to drive during this whole time.

Isn't there an indicator light that comes on before the DPF gets too clogged? Supposed to take it out on the highway for a number of minutes if it comes on according to the manual.

Just curious if OP got that warning light before any of the parts started breaking.
Only warning i got on my car was CEL, that would come on, and stay on for few hundred miles, then turn off only to return again after few hundred miles.

golfunv

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
We got the car back this past Saturday, total out of pocket was $825, that included an aligment, that i was planning on getting any way. It sure is money i was not planing to spend but at the same time i am glad we didn't have to pay full $3200 tab.