My 328D Blog

cglasel

This is exactly what I am considering--from European delivery down to the color and wheels! :cool:

I may need to hear more about your experience.

The ED was great. ED price -- invoice - is 7 % below US invoice, fyi. Some dealers like to pretend otherwise. Had a great time. I highly recommend the ED program if you can make it work.

Just don't try and get a red 328d Wagon. I got the only only one. Sorry.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Just don't try and get a red 328d Wagon. I got the only only one. Sorry.
lol... There is one cruising around Boston, but, as my dad likes to say, the red is "pretty rare and exotic." I questioned the metallic red, but it is beautiful. Even if I got it :eek:, I'm pretty sure we won't cross paths too often! ;)

A quasi-local dealer has a loaded CPO wagon, but it's silver and black leather. If my calculations are correct, it's about $12k off the original retail sticker price. I'm getting daily calls to come test drive it. My fear is that if I do drive it, I will drive it home, even though silver is way down my list. I may spend new year's eve at the BMW dealer to see how low they will go. I *do* want my next car to have a heated steering wheel. :cool:

Seppoboy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT, traded due to seat discomfort, hello BMW 328xd
328d wagon updates?

No wagon here, just 328xd sedan, but winter was different from my two past TDIs. The BMW fuel mileage was VERY temperature-sensitive. Up until the very cold January to March period I was easily getting mid-40s tank after tank. With temperatures remaining below freezing for almost three consecutive months I saw a run of tanks at 37 to 39 mpg. The really cold days of minus 15 F it struggled to stay in the 30's on the dash indicator.

That's in contrast to my 2006 Jetta TDI which never dropped below 42mpg, and the 2014 Passat TDI which experienced two tanks of very cold weather in the short time I had it, never got less than 43.5 mpg.

I also had a warranty repair when the DEF injection line froze, resulting in a bunch of codes and an assembly replacement. The good news is the HVAC system is much better on the BMW than any VW, gas or diesel, and almost as strong as on my old gas Audi.

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
Service on 328D

Thanks for this thread and your experience with BMW 328d, having driven VW TDI for the last 9 years and 300K+ miles, I am ready for a new ride and the 328D Xdrive looks very enticing. If I take a plunge I would go for the European delivery. Can you guys please talk a little bit more on the european delivery experience, and how to arrange that with local dealers?

Can you guys please talk about the maintenance on 328d? What is the oil change interval? Does it take special synthetic oil like VW? How often for the DEF refill, and the costs associated with these regular maintenance? I drive about 3000+ miles every month, so even a 5000 mile OCI would be rough. My VW has 10K mile OCI and easy to do at home. Has anyone done oil change yourself. I hear new BMW makes it harder for DIY'ers. I am not sure whether if that statement is true or not.

Thanks for your input.

Suparag

rparnel1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold -- '05 Passat. 2014 BMW 328D
Service is provided by dealer up to 48k miles. Service interval is 10k miles and the DEF fluid lasts at least that long. I currently 600 miles over the 10k interval and still have not gotten a DEF low alarm. Have also checked oil level manually (yes, there is a dipstick) AND with the on-board sensor. Both showed good level for the oil. No easy way to check DEF level. DEF fluid is easy to fill; the spout is right next to the gas tank fill. Havent changed oil myself yet. Unsure how I would reset the service reminder, but i'm sure there is a way for an owner to do it theirself.

Mine goes in for the 2nd service very soon. I'm currently at about 18,750 miles and have had zero problems.

Tanks average about 39 to 41 with mixed driving. Highway averages are 43 to 53, depending on speed and ambient temperatures.

Sports car ride, handling and performance with a hybrid's mileage. Sweet!!!

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Service is provided by dealer up to 48k miles. Service interval is 10k miles and the DEF fluid lasts at least that long. I currently 600 miles over the 10k interval and still have not gotten a DEF low alarm. Have also checked oil level manually (yes, there is a dipstick) AND with the on-board sensor. Both showed good level for the oil. No easy way to check DEF level. DEF fluid is easy to fill; the spout is right next to the gas tank fill. Havent changed oil myself yet. Unsure how I would reset the service reminder, but i'm sure there is a way for an owner to do it theirself.

Mine goes in for the 2nd service very soon. I'm currently at about 18,750 miles and have had zero problems.

Tanks average about 39 to 41 with mixed driving. Highway averages are 43 to 53, depending on speed and ambient temperatures.

Hand calculated ?

kltk1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
NHTDI any updates? Would love to hear from you..... Or anyone else for that matter.

Just had a great weekend tour in our '05 Jetta TDI and we're now thinking about doing more car tours. That being said, a 328d came up as a possible replacement when the time comes.

Would love to hear about road going cabin noise, or lack thereof, between the 328d and the Jetta and/or Passat TDI's. We find the Jetta pretty loud on the highway. Thanks!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

GAS tank? :confused: :p

Fun and great MPGs coming as a bonus....who needs a gasser hype-brid? :)

My 2014 535d recently turned 50k miles. Absolutely loving it! :cool:
My 2012 X5 35d recently turned 92k miles (bought CPO at 52k miles). Absolutely loving it! :cool:

I am planning to attend TDIfest in Maine this year and plan on bringing the 535d there. :cool:

Last edited:

NHTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328D Xdrive
updates

NHTDI any updates? Would love to hear from you..... Or anyone else for that matter.
Just had a great weekend tour in our '05 Jetta TDI and we're now thinking about doing more car tours. That being said, a 328d came up as a possible replacement when the time comes.
Would love to hear about road going cabin noise, or lack thereof, between the 328d and the Jetta and/or Passat TDI's. We find the Jetta pretty loud on the highway. Thanks!
I find the car much quieter than the Jetta. With that said some worn highways like RT95 in southern Maine increase the amount of cabin noise. Cabin noise is low over Most roads of decent surface conditions.

I have just over 32K miles on the car. Fuel economy is definitely related to outside temperature. During periods of below freezing winter days/weeks I've had tank averages of 38 mpg. Lately with the warmer April weather and probably a switch to summer fuel my tanks are returning 45mpg with 80/20 High/rural driving.
Only one issue, it threw one code, and BMW promptly replaced an O2 sensor.

I'm very happy with the car.