Coolant Return Hose Flange Leak--AGAIN!

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
Get a load of this. Back in August, I took the car in for a repair of a coolant leak that turned out to be problem with the return hose flange (the thingy where the thermostat is located). Thanks to all of your help last time. http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008413#000003

Well, I again have a coolant leak in the exact same location!

Does anyone know of a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue? Is there a replacement part that permanently fixes the problem?

Thanks,
-BIODEZL

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
makes me wonder if you dont have a blown headgasket or some other problem that is causing high pressure in the coolant system????

or not... maybe just a bur or chip or something minor.... Bill

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
And the overtorquing could lead to warping/deformation of its mating surface. Replacing the o-ring will not be enough. The entire piece should be replaced.

BTW, that's the water inlet, not a return outlet.

[ November 13, 2002, 06:23: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
Thanks for the clarification on the purpose of the part. I will share your collective experience re: the problem of over-torquing (sp?) and the need to replace the whole part with the stealer next Monday. The stealer previously claimed to replace the whole part...we'll see. God forbid it is a head gasket.

The last time the car was in for repair, they also identified that the transmission fluid was "dark." Could this be a related problem?

-BIODEZL

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
the transmission fluid should be replaced every 60-80,000 miles with Redline MTL.

As for the head gasket theory, dont let that get you worried. I dont think there is one documented case of head gasket failure on your car anywhere on the forums. it just doesnt fail, its a solid slab of metal.

There is no TSB on your problem. this is the first time ive ever seen or heard of this part leaking. I would believe its a problem with whoever is installing it. Take it to a good independent if your out of warranty. There is no reason to use a dealer for this little stuff. The independant (if good) will probably do a better job than some flat rater at the dealer who only wants to get your car out of the bay.