www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 15:04   #16
sleze
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 MPG
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions

I just bought the VAG-COM for my 2005 Passat. Should I have gotten it with CAN?
sleze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 13:18   #17
jurgen01

I have a body part related question.
I am not happy with the alignment of my bumper cover as it relates to the body. In order to correct it I need to remove the headlight assembly and prior to this I need to remove the center grill assembly. Does anyone know how to do this? There are two bolts to be removed and the rest seems to be some sort of snap in setup. I dont want to force anything it case it might break.
jurgen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 14:18   #18
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

I am curious, is the Passat Wagon still being made until middle 2006?

I thought I saw that, but have not seen anything lately. The 2006 best mileage lists are out, the Passat Wagon isnít on it (or I have not seen it).

It doesnít seem to matter to me what model year designation the car is, if its still being made for the 2006 model year, then it should be included
Smokerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 15:50   #19
sleze
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleze
I just bought the VAG-COM for my 2005 Passat. Should I have gotten it with CAN?
Answer to my own question. Yes for the 2005 b5.5 Passat, you need the HEX-CAN VAG-COM to get access to everything.
www.thereheis.com
sleze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:45   #20
Sloppy Snood
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Passsat
Fuel Economy: 31 mpg (city) / 38 mpg (hwy)
Default Chasis Desgnation and Part Numbers

Hello. nOObie Sloppy Snood here. I own a Northern Green 2005 Passat TDI GLS (2WD).

I am having trouble locating the correct chasis designation and associated part numbers for all the air, fuel, oil, and cabin filter part numbers.

TDIParts.com indicates my chasis is a B5.5 but I do not see part numbers specifically for this chasis. Please help me. -Sloppy
Sloppy Snood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 03:52   #21
IRONBOY

Fuel Economy: 28/33city 40/44 Hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizbyu
Hi I know there was a thread on how to change wiper blades using refills and a pair of long nose pliers. I tried the search but couldn't make it come up. Anyone have the link on this? Thanks!
If this vehicle is 05 Passat GLS TDI, you don't need any pliers to change the wiper blades. At least my don't.Just lift the wiper arms from the wind shield, flip the blade over to counterclockwise and slide it out.Replace it with the new one and turn it clockwise to lock in place and "viola"! you are done.
IRONBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 17:56   #22
compu_85
Gadget Guy

And much lighter in your wallet. You can take the Aero blades apart and replace just the rubber blade portion. Generally costs about $7.

-Jason
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 17:46   #23
tdisedanman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBOY
If this vehicle is 05 Passat GLS TDI, you don't need any pliers to change the wiper blades. At least my don't.Just lift the wiper arms from the wind shield, flip the blade over to counterclockwise and slide it out.Replace it with the new one and turn it clockwise to lock in place and "viola"! you are done.
All worked well except the blades didot want to come out. I finally sprayed some WD40 into the groove and let it seep for about 5 minutes. Then I tried to remove the blade from either side. It took awhile to work them free but I finally won the battle. I then cleaned the area with the WD40 and installed the new blades.
tdisedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:43   #24
IRONBOY

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdisedanman
All worked well except the blades didot want to come out. I finally sprayed some WD40 into the groove and let it seep for about 5 minutes. Then I tried to remove the blade from either side. It took awhile to work them free but I finally won the battle. I then cleaned the area with the WD40 and installed the new blades.

Glad you finally won the battle.By the way, nice pics of the two "brothers" on your drive way .
M1A2 Abrams 1Mile= 5-8Gallons
85 MB 300D,344k and Counting...
Old August 23rd, 2006, 18:00   #25
IRONBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy Snood
Hello. nOObie Sloppy Snood here. I own a Northern Green 2005 Passat TDI GLS (2WD).

I am having trouble locating the correct chasis designation and associated part numbers for all the air, fuel, oil, and cabin filter part numbers.

TDIParts.com indicates my chasis is a B5.5 but I do not see part numbers specifically for this chasis. Please help me. -Sloppy

OK sloppy,these are the part numbers:
1 Air filter: 058-133-843
2 Cabin filtre:1H0-819-644-B
3 Fuel filter: 1J0-127-401-A
4 OIL filter: 074-115-562

I can't help but notice that you are a vet.This info is provided in exchange for your title .Please let me know when it's safe to dispose my newbie title and assume my new acquired veteran status
M1A2 Abrams 1Mile= 5-8Gallons
85 MB 300D,344k and Counting...

Last edited by IRONBOY; August 27th, 2006 at 20:31.
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:24   #26
dano0726

I'm trying to change the cabin filter on my 2005 Passat -- the Vortex article shows an older/different VW engine compartment having torx screws...
Am I missing something??? Does the entire one-piece plastic (from passenger side to driver side) come off to change out this filter -- I can see the filter, but I don't see the connectors. It looks like it goes all the up to the windshield glass, over the wiper arms.
How would an A/C mechanic get to the freon connection? How would I replace the battery?
I feel like a real newbie...
dano0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 15:11   #27
bigEZ
Veteran Member

TDI(s): sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano0726
I'm trying to change the cabin filter on my 2005 Passat -- the Vortex article shows an older/different VW engine compartment having torx screws...
Am I missing something??? Does the entire one-piece plastic (from passenger side to driver side) come off to change out this filter -- I can see the filter, but I don't see the connectors. It looks like it goes all the up to the windshield glass, over the wiper arms.
How would an A/C mechanic get to the freon connection? How would I replace the battery?
I feel like a real newbie...
dude, chill! it's not that hard.

open the hood; locate the battery. see the trim/rubber seal underneath the battery compartment, that runs the width of the engine bay? pull it out just to the left (or passenger side) of the battery; the cabin filter is located in there and just slides out (you have to pull the plastic piece covering the battery up a little bit to get to it). the filter may be flow specific (ie, it may fit in there in a specific direction); i can't remember, but it will be pretty obvious, as there will be a top up up written on part. replace the seal (make sure it goes on good and tight).

by the way, a search for cabin filter or pollen filter in the b5 forum would have answered this question for you. cheers!
bigEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:49   #28
dano0726

Default Thanks for the help

BigEZ -- thanks for the help/pointers...I learned how to change out the filter
dano0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 23:57   #29
TDForNow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: (Passat) 41 mpg, avg, (Quantum) 45mpg. avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBOY
He's talking about actually changing out the "rubbers" inside the "aero" wipers with $5-8.00/pr refills instead of paying $20.00 for EACH replacement blade.
BTW, here's the link: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127303

ABS, ASR, ASC, BSD, BSW, DMS, EBAS, ESC, ESP, EDL, ISA, LDW, TPS, TPW to bale their arses out ... and ONSTAR* and E-CALL to rescue them for "successfully" defeating any or all of these!!

REALLY!! .... Drivers Wanted!!

It's no wonder the OTHER animals haven't "evolved" away from survival of the fittest! ... Looking at our "progress", they know they're better off!!"

'99 Passat AEB GLS Wagon
'95 Passat GLX Wagon
'85 Quantum TD (RIP)

Last edited by TDForNow; November 2nd, 2006 at 00:21.
TDForNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 19:16   #30
Boiler84

Default BodyStyle codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnick
Your new Passat is a "B5" platform car, or "B5.5" because it was made after the 2001 body revision. This refers to the platform of the car- Jetta/Golf/New Beetle/Audi TT are "A" platform cars- the current one is the A4 (1999.5-2005) platform, but the A5 Jetta has just come out. The Passats are larger "B" platform cars, currently the B5 (VW Passat 1998-2005, Audi A4), but the brand-new B6 platform is now available in europe, and will be here this summer. It is a larger car, and no longer shares the Audi longitudinal platform. It is transverse like the G/J/NB. Your 2.0l TDI-PD engine is engine code "BHW". HTH PM me if you have any other questions.

Nick
Go to wikipeida and ask for Passat. It will breakdown the coding for you.

Boiler Up!
Boiler84 is offline   Reply With Quote