VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

Joequin

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Sedan 2.0
Can I use a VAG-COM for a 2003 Jetta GL ?

I just installed a new throttle body & accelerator pedal position sensor (the accelerator pedal) I am getting codes P2128 & P2138. I was told all it needs is a "relearn" to allow the pedal to communicate with the throttle body. Is this true? if so can I use a VAG-COM w/software for the relearn? ANY INPUT would help:confused:

umpflash

TDI
02 TDI Jetta
02 jetta..

There is so much chords and some little blue scan tools .. what should I buy for my 02 tdi

RJKelley

TDI
Golf 2010
I got an OBD II reader, and plugged it into my 2010 Golf to see what was causing an 'engine' light. It gave me P13D07 and P13D09. Any idea how to turn the codes into useful information??

Highway Star

TDI
Transporter T4 - 2000 phase 3 - 2.5 L TDI automatic
I bought an X-tool VAG 401 for $ 100 and just extended glow plug ON time with it.
It might have some restrictions compared to other systems (more expensive) that I do not own, but as an individual benevolent self made occasional mechanic working only on my T4 van, and BMW K-100 RT bike it's doing what I need, and the price is OK.
However the manual is not very detailed.
My VW dealer where I bought the van was using a similar device back in 2000 for a test drive monitoring ride to find the problem with the erratic random shift UP & DOWN of the brand new automatic transmission.
The workshop VAG com computer was not portable...

midwestTDI

TDI
2012 VW GOLF TDI Sunroof/NAV Package, 4dr hatchback
Would like to start simple with the OBD II bluetooth for my 2012 Golf TDI. Thought I saved the OBD link somewhere but can't find my notes. Have an android phone and the software that paired up with the OBD could video record your drive with tachs live onscreen during the recording (fan speed, rpms, etc).

Anyone have a suggestion? Ultimately, before the TDIFest 2015.. would like to get a laptop (Windoze or Linux) for something more serious. Still under warranty so don't want to F-with-it to much. If I am going to keep the car.. need to get better educated.

Thanks!

midwestTDI

TDI
Ok.. a little more digging.. does Torque OBD sound familiar to anyone? Thought there might be a webpage with which one to get.. based on features, etc. Or maybe it's the software/app that recommends which OBD to get.

midwestTDI

TDI
Well, that didn't long... any recommendations on which one to get? LX or MX? My android version is 5.x running on a Samsung Galaxy s4.

https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/smart-phone/

The Torque Pro app for $4.95 seems to be a better deal.. but any of the following worth a look?

Premium Software (non-refundable)
  • ScanXL Standard +$79.95
  • ScanXL Professional +$119.95
  • ScanMaster +$59.95
  • DashCommand +$34.95

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
I use the Torque Pro app on an old phone that has a bad microphone. I don't have proper boost gauges so I use the app on the phone to monitor that.
I like it. It shows you lots of information, custom dials/graphs, and can reset cels.
It's a lot more convenient than lugging out the laptop and VagCom for certain things.
I think the newer ecu's will display more information than my cars do.
Hard to beat $5 app plus less than $25 for a bluetooth adapter on Amazon. Mine is the BASF one - Android only.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I have Vag-com and a autel maxisys pro. If your looking for a tool and have more than VW I would consider the cheaper autel MS908, you can pick it up at Harbor Freight for just over $1000 and it'll take care of any make/model and still do 95% of what Vag can do on VW

Dieselista

TDI
06 Jetta, 03 Bug, 74 TR6, 92 Ducati 907ie, 96 F250 PowerStroke
VAG-Com which one?

Looking to buy a VAG-Com to read and clear cel codes. I've found a few that are stand alone and very inexpensive, here's one
http://www.wobd2.com/wholesale/mini-vag505.html
These seem to be shipped directly from China. Anyone have any experience with any of these and if so, or not, any recommendations? I'd prefer a stand alone unit rather than laptop model.
Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Unfortunately no one will recommend any knock-offs.
Ross Tech unit will work. Not $38

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Anyone have or know of a hex-can f/s?? Looking to buy

Or if I order one online not from Ross tech does it work properly and show the entire vcds interface?? (not vcds lite) and if I can do that is there any certain specs I need to look for in the cables?

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Ross-Tech VAGCOM

Guys-

I bought the Rosstech VAGCOM back in 2009 for my then, new, TDI. Will it work on the newer VW's? With this buyback thing approaching, I might be interested in a 2017 Passat R-line. If I decide to stay with VW, it would be cool if my VAGCOM would work with the latest model VW. I know, I know.. I could email Rosstech and ask them.

Brad15

TDI
2013 jetta
Vagcom in San diego

Hello everyone,

I am In need of a Vagcom scan on my 3013 jetta tdi. I have the "glow plug" looking light blinking. It is not throwing any codes so I can not use my scanner. If anyone has a Vagcom scanner in San Diego that can do a scan would be a great help to me. I can pay you for your time.
Call or text me at 619-208-6862.
Thanks so much in advance

-Brad

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Hello everyone,

I am In need of a Vagcom scan on my 3013 jetta tdi. I have the "glow plug" looking light blinking. It is not throwing any codes so I can not use my scanner. If anyone has a Vagcom scanner in San Diego that can do a scan would be a great help to me. I can pay you for your time.
Call or text me at 619-208-6862.
Thanks so much in advance

-Brad
You'll get better luck posting here

John Jackson may be able to help you down there.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just post in that forum that you need help in San Diego. If he doesn't respond, someone else will.

Edit. PM John.Jackson9213 He is in Miramar.

Last edited:

LarryMax

TDI
2011 Jetta
Hello all. maybe one of you can give some direction, my 2011 jetta sedan's radio just stopped working one day last month and after looking on some of the threads here most are saying they take the car to the dealer, who takes the radio out puts a refurbished one in and charges them $1000.00 then the dealer takes their old radio and refurbishes it for the next customer. My question is with my ROSS Tech can I reset the radio myself? Has anyone done this???

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello all. maybe one of you can give some direction, my 2011 jetta sedan's radio just stopped working one day last month and after looking on some of the threads here most are saying they take the car to the dealer, who takes the radio out puts a refurbished one in and charges them $1000.00 then the dealer takes their old radio and refurbishes it for the next customer. My question is with my ROSS Tech can I reset the radio myself? Has anyone done this???
Are you accepting the buyback of your Jetta by VW? The radio does not have to be working when you turn the car in. Why worry about it?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I was trying to use VCDS on a fellow member's TDI and I got a flashing red led.
"Not able to communicate with controller". Does this indicate a problem with his ecm?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I was trying to use VCDS on a fellow member's TDI and I got a flashing red led.
"Not able to communicate with controller". Does this indicate a problem with his ecm?
It's hard to say with the included info:

What year and model TDI were you trying to talk to?
Which VCDS interface were you using?
What version of VCDS?
Was the car's ignition turned on?
Was this "flashing red light" on the Ross-Tech interface or on the car somewhere?
Were you able to communicate with any of the other controllers?
What issues drove you to try to scan a "fellow member's TDI"? It could be a problem with his/her car. Does you interface work with other cars? (I assume it does).

I would hate to hazard a guess without more information.

Have Fun!

Don

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
It's hard to say with the included info:
What year and model TDI were you trying to talk to?
Which VCDS interface were you using?
What version of VCDS?
Was the car's ignition turned on?
Was this "flashing red light" on the Ross-Tech interface or on the car somewhere?
Were you able to communicate with any of the other controllers?
What issues drove you to try to scan a "fellow member's TDI"? It could be a problem with his/her car. Does you interface work with other cars? (I assume it does).
I would hate to hazard a guess without more information.
Have Fun!
Don
The TDI is a 2000 Golf.
My cable is a genuine hex + can - usb.
The software is the latest update, release 17.8.
Ignition on, engine running (was attempting to check timing and IQ).
Red flashing led was on the Ross-Tech cable.
I only tried to connect to the engine controller.
The member has some issues with his engine I was trying to diagnose.
My interface works fine on my other 3 VAG vehicles.
Hence my post wondering if it indicates an ECU issue.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks for replying, Don.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The TDI is a 2000 Golf.
My cable is a genuine hex + can - usb.
The software is the latest update, release 17.8.
Ignition on, engine running (was attempting to check timing and IQ).
Red flashing led was on the Ross-Tech cable.
I only tried to connect to the engine controller.
The member has some issues with his engine I was trying to diagnose.
My interface works fine on my other 3 VAG vehicles.
Hence my post wondering if it indicates an ECU issue.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks for replying, Don.
Why not ask Ross-Tech in their forum?
http://forums.ross-tech.com/forumdisplay.php?21-VCDS-Support

Normin_G

TDI
2000 tdi golf
Does anyone know if there is someone close to me with bag com? I recently bought my first tdi. It is an 04 jetta with the bew block in it. It has an upgraded turbo in it GT17 and I am wondering if someone has already tuned it. I have no way of knowing or is there a way of knowing. Also it has cel and I am wanting it off. I don't know everything about these cars but motivated to learn. If someone could point me in the right direction of someone with vag-com or someone that tunes any help is useful.