Jetta cabin air blower drawing 27 amps!

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
Its not burning out the controller in the dash, but it has melted/ burned up the fuse socket contacts without popping the 30 amp fuse itself. I suspect there is supposed to be a smaller fuse! Whats the proper fuse size and how much should the blower normally draw on high? I think this high current situation has been going on since before i got the car, and someone has probably put in a larger size fuse. The wire itself is handling this amount of current without melting.....just barely. I need to run blower on high.....but im really pushing it with it drawing 27 amps on high speed!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
According to Bentley's the blower fuse SC22 should be 40 Amps so a draw of 27 Amps is probably normal. My best guess is that the 30 Amp fuse is under rated and on the verge of blowing and is overheating, melting the fuse location.

I would look at the back side of the fuse block for signs of melting at the wire connectors that plug into the blower fuse as well. High resistance there could cause overheating as well and/or there could be damage from the overheating fuse.

Last edited: