Body creaking

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
No not my body, the Passats body.

When you are at a full stop and just release the brake a little and immediately push the brake again, there is a creaking sound. It sounds as if the car body might be shifting? Not coming from below.

Has anyone experienced this. Car barely has 25,000 miles on it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of the NMS cars get the subframe/body creak, not sure why, and while there has been a TSB about it for a while, it always seems to be a temporary fix.

First just try tightening all the subframe bolts (there are six of them). Get a 16th of a turn on each one, by hand, and see if that helps.

There is also an issue on the NMS involving the front springs contacting the strut's spring seat. Spraying some thick lube in there will cure that for a while. If you do it at every service you can avoid it under most conditions.

Your '15 *should* have all the newest stuff already, but sometimes there are still issues.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks oilhammer for the reply.
I just received notification that the Phase 2 for my car is available. So when I take the car in to the dealer I'll let them do that.I'll copy and print your "cure" to show them. I'm still covered by warranty as well as I have an extended warranty.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Don't be surprised when they tell you they can't just tighten the bolts; they may have to replace them. They're (supposedly) one-use stretch bolts. Your dealer may want to stretch your wallet open. Fortunately, the bolts oilHammer mentioned are very easily accessed with the car up on ramps.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't be surprised when they tell you they can't just tighten the bolts; they may have to replace them. They're (supposedly) one-use stretch bolts. Your dealer may want to stretch your wallet open. Fortunately, the bolts oilHammer mentioned are very easily accessed with the car up on ramps.

If they want to replace them I would think that it should be covered under warranty. My warranty is good for another 2 years.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow up !!!

Thanks for any advice.

I had to take my Passat in for the Phase 2 job. I mentioned to them about the creak. Also needed my oil (My cars oil !!!) changed. God knows I could do with one too. LOL

Picked up the car and was told the mechanic found the EVO skid plate had somehow come loose a little. I suspect at the previous oil change not bolted on properly. The mechanic replaced some hardware after teh oil change and the creak is gone !!!