www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 8th, 2018, 12:50   #61
imo000
Veteran Member

I don't think this was caused by the hang up or the flywheel. Sounds to me you got two bad transmissions instead.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:58   #62
50mpgtdi

Fuel Economy: 36-41MPG

If that is the case, all I can say is I'm glad they are cheap!
50mpgtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:22   #63
50mpgtdi

I got a hold of the salvage yard that I got this last transmission from. They usually just have a standard 30 day warranty, but they agreed to work with me on this deal since I am a little over 60 days since purchase, and offered to sell me another one for $50!!! Kind of a pain to have to do this all again, but I won't complain about that deal!
Old March 9th, 2018, 16:18   #64
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I wish i had your access to v6 5 speeds. Ive seen about 5 come across the local cl since December. All the ones around here are autos!
Old March 10th, 2018, 06:34   #65
50mpgtdi

have you checked on car-part.com? That's where I've been finding most of mine. There are a lot of them in this area.
Old April 28th, 2018, 07:41   #66
50mpgtdi

Alrighty.....so a little update on this ball of madness....I kept milking the bad trans along for lack of time to replace it. The broken synco ring was starting to jam into other gears making it difficult to shift. Eventually it made it into a bad place in the trans and it exploded the gearset right out the front of the case. Since I was pulling it all apart anyhow, I wanted to replace that silly 6 puck ceramic disc with something a little less savage. Turns out, in my efforts to do this build on a very tight budget, the flywheel and pressure plate that I originally bought will not accept a spring hub disc because their center diameters are too small for a spring hub to fit inside of. That being said, the next best thing is going to an organic solid disc, so that's what I've done. I'm hoping that between the less aggressive disc and replacing the worn rubber shifter shaft joint with solid one and making sure the shifter is all aligned properly, I'll be good to go from here on in. I'm really looking forward to having the old pig back on the road after being over a month without it.
Old April 29th, 2018, 04:17   #67
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Oil hammer posted a link to a good write up on adjusting these. On my 1st 5 speed conversion i pulled the shifter linkage off like a dummy then removed the shifter assembly.

Luckily for me i could still she the marks the bolt left in it so i could put it back together close but obviously not perfect. I guess i got lucky as i have not had any issues shifting gears.

Did my first hwy road trip with her yesterday. Speed on the hwy was 65 so i set cruise at 75. This was approx 2750 rpms. The liar mpg estimator (pretty close at overall mpg est) said i was getting 42mpg which is the best I've ever done in this car in the current mpg mode) was on the freeway 1hr each way. She's much louder with the egr delete. Sounds more like some of the old land cruisers i did diesel conversions on in the past rather than a "grandpa car" as my lovely gf likes to say. She drives an 07 saturn ion....how can she judge my car?
Old April 30th, 2018, 07:04   #68
50mpgtdi

Yep, I read through that write up and made sure mine is all set correctly. I finally got my car all back together over the weekend. That organic disc, even though it is a solid disc and solid flywheel is sooooo much better that that stupid ceramic 6 puck. Haha! I can actually take off in a sensible manner now. I'm really hoping this will be the end all to my problems. I really do want to get the ECU tuned though to get rid of the rev hang and get all of the ABS an TCS back in order.
Old April 30th, 2018, 07:05   #69
50mpgtdi

I have noticed too that the MPG estimator is not very accurate....usually 2-3mpg high compared to figuring it out manually. Is there a way to correct that on these cars?
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:45   #70
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

Not trying to be a dick, but genuinely curious, since I haven't seen this thread in a while.

You went through 3 transmissions a ton of downtime, and are probably over your original budget. Not to mention all the aggravation that I'm sure you went though doing all the work yourself.

Would it not have been worth it to wait and save up a bit for the proper parts, all conveniently shipped in a kit, that you could have installed once and be done with it?? While I know budget was your main motivator for going the route you did, I'm just wondering if you would change anything to get to the same or a different outcome.

Either way I hope your car is running up to your standards, and youre enjoying it. Mine has been amazing since converting/tuning it. Just don't get carried away with that new found fun lol
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 10:17   #71
PickleRick
Veteran Member

He took just as much risk with a used v6 tranny as he would a euro tranny. Seems most of these longitudinal 5 speed use the same bearing part numbers as well as synchros. The difference is in gearing. So one is not really any stronger than the other.

I wonder how good a warranty exchange from Europe or the UK is?

I did a near identical conversion but splurge on the 45 lbs flywheel. Really wish i had gotten a little less aggressive clutch as the fx300 is a little harsh for sipping my morning coffee in city traffic. Also did my tune where i think he's easing it into gears on a stock ecu.

I'm quite happy with my v6 tranny.
Old April 30th, 2018, 12:26   #72
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleRick View Post
He took just as much risk with a used v6 tranny as he would a euro tranny. Seems most of these longitudinal 5 speed use the same bearing part numbers as well as synchros. The difference is in gearing. So one is not really any stronger than the other.
I wonder how good a warranty exchange from Europe or the UK is?
I did a near identical conversion but splurge on the 45 lbs flywheel. Really wish i had gotten a little less aggressive clutch as the fx300 is a little harsh for sipping my morning coffee in city traffic. Also did my tune where i think he's easing it into gears on a stock ecu.
I'm quite happy with my v6 tranny.
To an extent I can agree with that, I haven't heard of any being bad from Frans, he must go through them pretty well to verify that they are in good shape (knock on wood for my DUK )

I had to drive my car for a few days without a tune because malone was closed the week my car was done, In that state the rev hanging was a real PITA to shift smoothly (especially with me being a noob at driving stick at the time lol)

I also got a Sachs SRE clutch with a dual mass flywheel supplied from Frans, not sure of any part numbers, but its been holding my stage 2 perfectly. My buddy does complain that my clutch is pretty heavy though, he has a 2006 Jetta with a malone 1.5, his car was manual from the factory though

That's a good point about the transmissions using a lot of the same parts though, wasn't aware of that.
Old April 30th, 2018, 12:46   #73
PickleRick
Veteran Member

My single mass 240mm flyweel and clutch will hold all the power my stage 2 will put out and much much more. My issue is that when cold the kevlar disk although sprung is not smooth. Going from tennis shoes to work boots to flip flops is also fun. The pedal feel is to me the same as the stock v6 vehicles I've been scrapping. I dont tear down transmissions before install. I make sure they shift smoothly into all the gears and examine fluid for excess shavings/metals. Ive yet ro buy a runner v6 donor car. Im sure frans uses a similar method as tearing into every used tranny would be cost prohibitive. You could spend your time so much more wisely like working out or editing/making memes for i funny to feature. I do know he goes through each 6 speed tranny as those have issues. The 5 speeds seem pretty resilient and built to withstand lots of power mods. There are however drivers like my little sister that can destroy anything with a steering wheel.

I spent lots of time trying to justify a euro 5 speed. I dont hwy commute a ton. Now that sailing season is here ill commute to my boat every weekend and the hour hwy drive one way at 2700ish rpms still nets incredible mpgs. The egr delete at that rpm let's you know she's a diesel.

I was trying to decide on either swapping my BHW into a small 4x4 or convert my passat to 5 speed for a while. Any yota jeep montero or trooper i considered swapping into would also do near 3000 at 75 mph and cost/options to regear vary from vehicle to vehicle. A sedan at 75mph 2750 rpms fits my needs

Last edited by PickleRick; April 30th, 2018 at 12:54.
PickleRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 16:23   #74
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleRick View Post
There are however drivers like my little sister that can destroy anything with a steering wheel.
There is so much truth to that statement lol
Old May 1st, 2018, 06:48   #75
50mpgtdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but genuinely curious, since I haven't seen this thread in a while.

You went through 3 transmissions a ton of downtime, and are probably over your original budget. Not to mention all the aggravation that I'm sure you went though doing all the work yourself.

Would it not have been worth it to wait and save up a bit for the proper parts, all conveniently shipped in a kit, that you could have installed once and be done with it?? While I know budget was your main motivator for going the route you did, I'm just wondering if you would change anything to get to the same or a different outcome.

Either way I hope your car is running up to your standards, and you're enjoying it. Mine has been amazing since converting/tuning it. Just don't get carried away with that new found fun lol
Perfectly fair question in light of all the nonsense. Haha! There's no two ways about it, someone who has a larger budget, the imported transmission, and flywheel and clutch either imported or from whitebread is definitely the way to go. For someone on a budget, I still think sourcing parts state side is a very viable option. As far as what I would change in light of my still tight budget, I would have not messed around with that original 6 puck solid flywheel/solid disc combo. That's good for racing, not for street use. I would have opted for one of the solid flywheel/sprung disc combos from the same company I did get this setup from. They actually have fantastic customer service and they really helped me out with getting a new pressure plate and solid organic disc to fit their flywheel. The other thing I would change is simply waiting until I could afford to get the ECU tuned. I think the rev hang coupled with that super aggressive disc was keeping the input shaft spinning a bit much even with the clutch disengaging properly which is what has been causing my transmission failures....that or simply just 2 bad transmissions in a row. Regardless, I'm now just being very careful of how I am shifting, being sure to let the revs come down first. So yes, after this experience, I would change a couple things to alleviate the down time and save some money on the deal. Surprisingly though, the added cost of all this madness has still not been anywhere near enough to add up to the cost of importing the parts as a kit. Haha! Now that everything seems sorted, and I'm sure it will be even better after tuning, I really enjoy this car. Compared to the 2004 Jetta TDI I was driving in the down time, this car rides so much better and has much nicer power delivery and more of it all together!