Mk2 panel van 1z conversion

badger8v

TDI
Golf mk3 tdi now a donor/Golf mk2 van now having heart transplant. 8v golf gti

After years of service and years of standing around in the barn the build has finally begun.
It will not be a guru build by any means and will be hoping for as much help as I can get and it will not be quick either as I have to travel 10 miles to the vehicle after work when beer is calling from the fridge and I have a motorcycle rebuild to finish by next spring.
[/URL]
The level of corrosion on the motor leaves me amazed that it still run on 7 year old deisel.
[/URL]
The cable was seized and the motor fired up to a rattling flat out cacophony. A sad, undignified end to a reliable workhorse of an engine.
[/URL]
Don't think I will be using this radiator.
[/URL]
How was this still charging the battery?
[/URL]
Pulleys look like they came off the titanic.
[/URL]
Probably need a new washer bottle. Came off an MG Metro about 10 years ago.
[/URL]
Great buy number 1 . This tool is invaluable. Just kept turning the driveshaft until the next bolt to undo was on top.
The front engine mount and gearbox mount were easy to undo but the rear engine mount was so corroded I decided to unbolt the three bolts on top of the mount and the last one snapped so after having to hammer on a 16mm socket on the rusty 17mm head of the engine mount bolt and with a 900mm breaker bar it finally gave way.
[/URL]
And it's out and that means time for a cool beer.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Not to thwart your ambition but have you done a thorough inspection of the unit body to ensure you are starting with a worthy shell?

badger8v

TDI
The shell is solid apart from a little rot around the windscreen scuttle. The running gear will all be coming off the mk3 golf donor including subframe and rear beam.
It is as much a sentimental thing as anything else as in May of 2014 I will have own ed the van for 20 years.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Congrats on owning it for so long. It pained me to get rid of my 1st corrado after 13 years. Keep the updates coming

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I like it! It's so weird to hear it called a van though. I have '94 E-250 7.3 diesel that is 20 feet long. Your car looks like a Golf with windows blanked off.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Oh I know, I'm just saying it isn't what I think of when I think of a Van.

badger8v

TDI
This was a commercial vehicle but it is rubbish as a work truck due to the high tailgate.
Okay for delivering flowers, not so good for carrying bricks.