www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 13th, 2013, 14:41   #31
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Time to contact Franko6. You can replace one piston as long as the rod is not bent. If it is, then a new rod is in order. You must check the new rod against the others for length. All 4 pistons should have the same protrusion above the block. Pistons and rods should be the same weight +/- very little.

Head should be rebuilt. I suggest calling Franko6.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 15:23   #32
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
wow, the only things that can cause no compression would be a dropped valve or a cracked pistons.

That's odd.
Don't mean to brag but I hit the nail on head on this one.

If the bore is good and the rod isn't bent, hone the cylinder and drop in a new piston.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 15:55   #33
newlitemotorist
Veteran Member

I would like to see what the rest of that piston looks like. Looks like you have a pit on the bottom outer edge (this is where your head gasket was leaking) which might be much worse down the side of the piston. It definitely looks like a bad head gasket at least started your problems.

What is interesting is that my number 4 cylinder was the one that failed and the other people who have had head gasket issues with the bhw...that I have read about...also had their head gasket fail in the number 4 cylinder. Interesting trend.

Have you had a chance to look over the cylinder head? There will be some valves open as long as you have the cam in there by the way.

Last edited by newlitemotorist; April 13th, 2013 at 16:09.
newlitemotorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 16:38   #34
Chrismak
Veteran Member

Well Thunder nailed it, anything off the top shelf, Jameson only :-).

Have to try and keep a sense of humor with this. Yep the head has some pitting on that cylinder. Interesting observation on the #4 cylinder as regards the head gasket leaking.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/mcglock910/media/image_zps56d34d11.jpg.html]

Whats this worth with a diagnosis like this. It has the Balance shaft done new cam around 175k. Stage 2 rocketchip. Timing belt water pump etc at 212k. Jason did a lot of earlier work.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/mcglock910/media/image_zps76e22c4b.jpg.html]
Old April 13th, 2013, 18:59   #35
newlitemotorist
Veteran Member

It almost looks like you have a crack between the exhaust valve and the injector nozzle...it may well not be the case but it sure looks like it.

As far as value...fair market value with everything accounted for, minus the cost for parts and labor on the repairs needed. Might just need a refreshed head and a piston but it also might need a lot more. If the head *IS* warped what did that do to your new cam??? There are a lot of things to consider with your situation.
Old April 13th, 2013, 20:27   #36
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

That piston has foreign object damage on it too, as well as the head.. All those little dings and dents are from something getting in there.. It probably didn't have anything to do with the cracked piston, but something was bouncing around in there for a few seconds..

If you feel like you're in over your head with putting a piston(s) in it, I do have a truck and trailer LOL...
Old April 13th, 2013, 21:18   #37
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

There's a chunk missing from that cracked piston, right above the ring, visible in one of the photos. That's probably what caused the dings.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 00:51   #38
thundershorts
Veteran Member

I think its engine time...short block from vw is about 2500 and a recon head, or here is one not too far away

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

I never had good things happen replacing just one piston and when you see what 4 pistons cost, you.ve bought a short block. I kind of figured you might encounter something major, and I think it takes less time to pull eng/trans than pulling the head. it might be worth looking over the copart car as its not badly toasted, so you might be able to hear it run. A couple grand and you'll have lots of extra parts.
Old April 14th, 2013, 00:57   #39
thundershorts
Veteran Member

a better one but you'll need it hauled to you

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:56   #40
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

You can rebuild the engine for what you would pay for shipping and feels alone on that car.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:09   #41
Chrismak
Veteran Member

I was just foin back to when I had broken glow plug issue and couldn't recall if it was in #3 or #4.

Well guess what it was #4?
So that may explain some of the pitting on cylinder and head if the tip had fallen of and got
Pulverized and blown out your ear.

So that would lead me to believe that the pitting may be old. Not saying it didn't weaken the piston but look at the date on this.
Jason PM me with your number until we see whats the best way to go with this .
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:21   #42
newlitemotorist
Veteran Member

I would look for a used short block or long block if you find one and have your preferred mechanic go through it. I saw a bhw short block on ebay selling for 800...This is just a reference for price. If your block is still usable, I have seen two bhw cylinder heads recently here on the boards selling for 400 ish obo so you could get this thing fixed at a cost which makes keeping the car worth it. If funds permit, you might think about swapping in a 5 speed manual as well.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:36   #43
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

There's nothing wrong with the cylinder head.. They almost all have small cracks between the glow plug hole and one of the valve seats.. It's non-critical..

If the #4 cylinder wall looks good, one piston and some assorted bolts and gaskets and it'll be like new again..

If the cyliner wall is no good, a used shortblock with the geared BSM and whatnot transferred over from the existing one will do the trick..
Old April 14th, 2013, 17:25   #44
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

I vote for a mere piston replacement, too. As long as cylinder wall is in reasonable shape after a quick hone.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 13:58   #45
Chrismak
Veteran Member

The bore in the block seems Ok.

I'm just going to replace the one piston.

NURAL Part # 87139520 Single piston set; Includes 1 Piston w/ Piston Rings, Pin and Retainer (where applicable) Bore [mm]: 81.000; Bolt [mm]: 26; Compression Height [mm]: 45.830; Bolt length [mm]: 65.8; Recess Depth [mm]: 17.500; Valve Pocket Depth [mm]: 0.700; Production Number: 07901D834; Piston Chamber Volume [ccm]: 23.30 (Only 3 Remaining) Size: Standard

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

On the head bolts, has anyone used the cheaper set here. These are stretch bolts and the last thing I need is one of these to break off when torquing.

This is from ID parts.[IMG]

The cheaper set.

[IMG][/IMG]