need a little input...

PaJames

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat TDI wagon
ok guys been a while since I have had any issues with the B4. but today started a new endevor, and time is short. I cant find my darn bently CD for the car. So please hang in there with me on this.

On the drive home today about 3 miles from home the coolant temp started to rise . I shut her down and coasted to the side to let her cool off. During this time I did some pokin around.
I have found that the fans wont come on. I also noticed the coolent glow plug strap fuse is blown. The fan strap fuse by the battery is fine.

Question here is, does the coolant glow plug strap fuse have anything to do with the fans not working? I dont know if this part of a loop , that also supplys power to the fans.

The fuse in the panel under dash appears to be good. I am going to go and test with a test light in a minute.I did try to jump the strap fuse with a jumper wire, and it still did not kick them on.Anyone know the specs for the strap fuse?How many amp or how ever the rate them.

I will have to take tomm off from work. to deal with this. As it is my only transportation i have right now. Dang audi is down for a count as well..lifter issue uggghh..

PaJames..

Last edited:

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
do you have vagcom to see what is going on?

could be a stuck t-stat or faulty temp sensor.

How can did you confirm the fans won't come on? During normal driving they shouldn't be needed.

PaJames

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat TDI wagon
Being the temp on dash was reading about 220/230 the fans were not on. I would assume they should come on if temp goes over 200.

The motor is cool now but I just hit the following with a test light.
fuze #19 (30A) in dash good. Tested fuze by battery for fan has good clean strap and good 20A fuze. popped off fan plug at fan, no power present on ant terminal. I could not get the connector for the plug by the front center of head off, so no idea there.

At the coolant glow plugs blown strap fuze there is power to one side.

Car has 265,000 miles on her. I will go scan her now with the vag-com and see what developes...back in 10 minutes.

PaJames

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat TDI wagon
OK, so heres where im at.scanned the car, good to go.

went into measuring blocks and watched the coolant temps. ran car at high idle, watched temp slowley climb. then after a few minutes the temp climbed quickly the settled.

because of this I will assume that the t-stat and pump are functioning. So i heard a slight squeal going on. think i found the culprit. appears the belt is on the loose side. no idea how, belt was never loose, either it wor down some or it loosened up somehow. no real idea, but will get a new belt in the AM.

Also while running motor noticed dash temp was at about 200 deg. I turned on the A/C and the radiator fans came on.

I guess that seeing the blow coolant strap fuse mad the brain jump to the bigger things and skipped right on past the obvious things. Man I hate when that happens.

But does anyone know the specs for that strap fuse?? going to try the local stores first, dealer is a bit of a drive from here.

PaJames..