High Mileage Tires

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI//2005 Passat GLS TDI
I am in the same spot, with my 2005 Passat wagon GLS TDI.

Stock are P205-55-R16 91H

What is the problem with going with P215-55-R16 or P205-60-R16

I am looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S PP
or
Yokohama AVID TRZ
or Goodyear Assurance Fuel MAX

I have had issues with high priced tires MICHELIN's only lasting 43,000 miles.

Thanks

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI//2005 Passat GLS TDI
Thanks for the recommendation, However I would still like to know what the impact would be for the difference. Will the 205-60-16 fit on the same stock rim? I would really appreciate the advice.

I am the type person that needs to see the item before buying it. The tires mention above in previous message are readly available.

Thanks

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
greenjetta said:
I am in the same spot, with my 2005 Passat wagon GLS TDI.
Stock are P205-55-R16 91H
What is the problem with going with P215-55-R16 or P205-60-R16
I have had issues with high priced tires MICHELIN's only lasting 43,000 miles.
Thanks
The 215-55's will be taller by .43" as well as wider making your speedo show 1.2 mph slower than actual.The 205-60's will be taller by .8" diameter making your speedo show 2.5 mph slower than actual at 65 mph.

225-50-16's would be the closest match, being only .02" shorter in diameter, your speedo would only be off by a -.05 mph. That is, being .8" wider than stock, if they'll fit in your wells as well as on your rims.

215-50's would be shorter and show 1 mph faster and 195-60's would taller and show 1 mph slower, to answer those questions if they're out there.

This site: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos has a size comparison calculator that should answer many size change questions.

As for the tire recommendations, I don't know anything about the tires you're asking about. But so far for me, Michelins have topped anything else I've driven on.

KCMike

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat GLS wagon
Tires

Last night during rush hour I had a blow out on my Kumho Solus tires. Left front tire. Not wanting to become road kill, I waited for a trooper to partially block the shoulder before I changed it to the spare.

At first I thought I hit debris. But, looking at the tire, the inside shoulder is worn completely smooth, down to the steel belt is some places. I had the tie rod ends replaced last month and an alignment. Either the tire wore significantly in the last 30 days or the tech didn't notice the tire wear. The right front is fine.

At 35,000 miles they needed to be replaced soon anyway. Costco has the Michelin Pilot Primacy tires on sale through this weekend, making them a little less expensive than the Bridgestone Serenity tires.

mcinfantry

TDI
2005 Passat TDI unchained
ive owned a lot of cars, and im telling you the 89 to 91 tires is a difference.

as a former traffic homicide investigator i can promise you can face civil and criminal repercussions in a traffic crash on using a lower rated tire than the car is recommended to have.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I agree with the 89 to 91 issue, but didn't know that was the diff between the old and new ones.
I had 89s for 10k miles without my knowledge but when the 91s were put on, I was much happier.

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
Tire Speed Ratings

While there seems to be a general consensus that the load rating number is very important for proper tire performance and wear, I would like to know if this also applies to the speed rating letter designation as well.

I can find Michelin HydroEdge tires in the correct size and load but they are "sub-H" rated for their speed rating (T speed rating).

Is a lower speed rating on a properly sized tire a "bad" idea? :confused:

Convince me one way or another tire gurus. :) Thanks!

Last edited:

mcinfantry

TDI
2005 Passat TDI unchained
Sloppy Snood said:
While there seems to be a general consensus that the load rating number is very important for proper tire performance and wear, I would like to know if this also applies to the speed rating letter designation as well.

I can find Michelin HydroEdge tires in the correct size and load but they are "sub-H" rated for their speed rating (T speed rating).

Is a lower speed rating on a properly sized tire a "bad" idea? :confused:

Convince me one way or another tire gurus. :) Thanks!
It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer's original speed rating, even after being repaired because the tire manufacturer can't control the quality of the repair.
how often do you travel @ 118mph??? that is 't' rating

sammerdog

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd, ventectomy
Found this posting on a lark - I'm a Jetta guy......

fwiw - If you can find them in your size, I have had wonderful luck with Kelly Navigators. Quiet, nice ride, did well in the snow and icy Michigan weathers. American owned and manufactured. Got nice life out of them as well. 83,300 miles to replacement, and they still had a little tread left on them, but we're heading into winter again.

Tried to get another set, but Belle Tire claims they're phasing them out. Went with Dunlop Signature this time around - time will tell if these are good or crap.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have had 205 60 16 on my 05 for over 200k.
Anyone have thoughts about going to 215 60 16
I realize this will induce more speedo error- 3% I would assume