Aftermarket fog lights, no power at stock wiring

96v-dubTDI

TDI
1996 Forest green Passat 1.9TDI, 5spd, 92,000 miles.......i need to update my profile picture, it dosent show the front end mods
I have my 96 b4 and on the bumpers where the blinkers are located i am swaping out the old reflectors for aftermarket Hella fog lamps. I went and bought nice bulbs and got it all ready to install when i took my volt meter with the lights on and read no power at the wiring for the fog lamp.....attached to the back of the old stock reflectors were wiring for a fog lamp option, i thought this will be easy but turned out to be the oposite. Do i need to purchace the Euro switch (Tdiparts.com) or is there a fuse i need to install to power these auxillery lights? please and thanks
-dub

96v-dubTDI

TDI
1996 Forest green Passat 1.9TDI, 5spd, 92,000 miles.......i need to update my profile picture, it dosent show the front end mods
and i don't see a spot on the fuse panal for this sort of this.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There's a relay that needs to be installed in position 10 of the relay panel.
The relay has a production code "53" printed on it. This relay is identical internally to the horn relay (also with a "53") in position 11 of the relay panel.
Swap the horn relay over to position 10 see if the fog lamps work when the lights are full on (not DRL) in low beam. Then buy another "horn" relay.

96v-dubTDI

TDI
that didn't work. I swapped the relay over and still no power.

96v-dubTDI

TDI
i cant find anything else in my Bently either.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What light switch are you using to turn on the relay?
The OEM factory light switch in the car doesn't have the position to turn on the fog lamps.

96v-dubTDI

TDI
so i either have to purchase the euro switch online or run a seperate wire and switch

96v-dubTDI

TDI
yes? but the switch online is like 124$ that stinks