Heater switch light bulb replacement 'How to'

abes.pl

TDI
2002 Golf
So I did it today! Annoying, but I managed :D

:confused:Parts:
VWC N0177512 (Bulb) = $3.37

:confused:Tools used:
1) Small needle-nose pliers with electric tape wrapped at the end.

2) Flash light

:confused:Tips:
1) Put the arm rest up and gear into 2nd or 4th (manual) for max room.
2) You may want to put a box over the ashtray/12v plug so you don't fish for the bulb when you drop it (this was the most annoying part)
3) The of the bulb goes into the socket with the flat end vertically ( | ) - don't try to force it in with the flat end horizontally ( -- )

:confused:Procedure:
1. Pull out the middle "knob" - that's the one you control the fan speed with.
2. Using the pliers gently grab the bulb and pull it out.
3. Using the pliers gently press the bulb in and slowly pull the pliers out. Push the bulb in with your finger (pinky) until you feel it sitting firmly in. Took me a while, but managed.

:) Good luck!

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I use a piece of hose that the bulb fits into to plug in the new bulb, then take a stiff wire, insert through the hose, and use it to press on the bulb as I pull the hose off of the bulb.

--Nate

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
My wife complained about it 2 days ago, I went out and gave it the fist and it came alive, and today I stumbled across this post, thank you all, gotta love german design, it's so precise and consistent even in its weakness, a)turn signal relay phantom clicking, b)hvac illumination, makes one wonder how much money is being made by the dealers...just 3.50 for antenna base with preamp, $17 for 2 shipping included, the dealer sells each for.???.you tell me!

TDI club is PRICELESS, if I was a dealer I'd hate you guys!!! thank you

Trawlercap

TDI
03' Jetta
I used the hose for both the removal, and insertion of the bulb. I also took a short chunk of the same hose and split it, and then saddled it over the control knob for protection from the pliers. Works Great! THANKS SO MUCH WINGNUT!

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
HVAC lite

My undying thanks to Wingnut also. Instructions worked flawlessly! Don't buy your bulbs in Florida though :)- $5 for the pair at Autozone.

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
Just pulled my bulb out tonight, I had it fixed at the dealer a few years ago. This time I'm saving a few bucks and doing it myself!

Bulb I picked up was Sylvania 2721 LL (Long life) $5.00 for two at Auto Zone.

Last edited:

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
One of my first repairs as a result of using this fine forum. Thx Wingnut!

Price at AutoZone was $5 for two Sylvania 2721LL bulbs.

Lostyet

TDI
2003 Beetle
Thankyou! All this time I thought the bug may have electrical issues. Bulb changed problem solved thanks to this thread. Thanks again!!

Sylvania 2721LL bulbs. $4.49 after tax. O'Reilly Auto Parts Northport, Alabama.

drrck

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MKIV
Excellent write-up wingnut. Took me about 5 mins to do this job last night. I didn't have any vacuum hose so I used a piece of ice maker tubing I had lying around. Now I can see my heater switches!

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Easy enough. Took all of 5 minutes and I was able to do it with just needle nose pliers and my pinky to shove the new one into the socket.

A word of warning: even though I used a towel, I still scratched the knob taking it off. Mine was on very tight.

Oh! And I got the bulbs at Napa for 69 cents each : )

Fezzak

TDI
2003 Golf GLS (100k)
I used a locking wrench so I could space the teeth out far enough so the pressure on the knob would be even. I doubled up on a soft shop towel and didn't see any scuffs or damage on it, but it is dark in my garage...

Also did it with just the needle nose pliers, and as warned, putting the bulb in was by far the most difficult part. All in all 5 minutes tops, and a great write-up. Amazing what a difference that one bulb makes!

Meanstreak

***, $150:confused::eek:. $2.75 for a package of two of those little lights, four inches of vacuum hose, pliers and five minutes is all it takes to replace that bulb.

--Nate
Automaker Henry Ford asked electrical genius Charlie Steinmetz to
build the generators for his factory. One day the generators ground to
a halt, and the repairmen couldn't find the problem. So Ford called
Steinmetz, who tinkered with the machines for a few hours and then
threw the switch. The generators whirred to life--but Ford got a bill
for $10,000 from Steinmetz. Flabbergasted, the rather tightfisted car
maker inquired why the bill was so high.
Steinmetz's reply: For tinkering with the generators, $10. For
knowing where to tinker, $9,990. Ford paid the bill.
Source: Today in the Word, MBI, April 1990, p. 27.", hosted by
Christian Globe
http://www.christianglobe.com/Illustrations/theDetails.asp?whichOne=w&whichFile=wisdom

Wingnut, You kick A$$.;)

hopakera

TDI
2000 Jetta
Awesome, I been doing without. Mine was intermittent for the first 3 months I owned it. Now its always out. I can't wait to fix it!!!

shadowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
$3.99 for 2 Eiko 2721's at O'Reilly's in Northern CA. Mine was originally just dim but now is completely out after trying to remove it (whoops)...tried tweezers, straws, the needle nose pliers w/tape bit, both masking and double-sided, to no avail. Hopefully can scrounge up some tubing in a bit. Aagh!

EDIT: Got it. Used a little plastic tube with one end slit, worked perfectly. Great thread, thanks guys.

Last edited:

CaseyP

TDI
Passat
thanks again tdiclub for the very handy 411. I'm excited to have backlit heater controls again:)

33tab

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just to clarify...Mine is intermittent, the entire A/C cluster turns on and off randomly. Will replacing this bulb solve my problem?

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Bulb Update:
GE bulb #74
Sylvania Bulb #74LL

Just picked up one today and the previous numbers no where to be seen.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
So I purchase the Sylvania Bulb #74LL today from Canadian Tire, installed it and no light comes on at all.

There wouldn't be a fuse that could be causing no light would there?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Bulb Update:
GE bulb #74
Sylvania Bulb #74LL

Just picked up one today and the previous numbers no where to be seen.
Here in the US, I had the same experience at NAPA. But unsatisfied with how dim the bulb was, I sought out the 2723, and found both the 2721 and 2723 at AutoZone.
20IndigoBlue02 said:
Sylvania 2723 is a W2.3W bulb. Brighter with half as much life.
I did find this to be much better, although still not as bright as I'd like.

Colexius

TDI
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
I just did it! I had to use a que tip to push the bulb into the the slot, through the rubber hose. :)

TDI
02 jetta
great forum tore my dash apart a few weeks ago couldnt find a bulb anywhere then got on here today and fixed the light in the parking lot of the parts store thanks again

CFIMuncie

TDI
2000 Jetta
Bulb keeps falling out after replacement

I replaced the bulb and it keeps vibrating out in a couple of weeks. Any ideas?

DH303

TDI
'01 Golf '99 Jetta
had the same problem on my two tdis, where even with a new bulb the light would not work or it would be intermittent. You have to simply get in there with a scribe and bend the tabs that hold the bulb back towards center, there are four of them. Once it is able to hold the bulb tightly your problem should be solved. The 90 degree end of my two sided scribe was priceless for this job, saved my but and made short work of it. I wrapped a pair of needle nose plier tips in electrical tape for this and used my pinky.

moto

TDI
2004 Jetta; 2012 Passat
just did this last night. ID parts shipped the bulb with a piece of tubing attached, so that was pretty handy. $0.99

munimisu

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I had similar problem, where my HVAC bulb was flickering and then gone. I just replaced this morning, but now looks like only the center knob have light, all other knobs are dark as before. As idea guys?

I pulled other two knob and there is nothing under them, so it was only the center bulb lighting all three knob, which is lighting only the center knob now.