Best method to test charge piping

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
Best method to test boost / charge piping?

Need help finding the best method of checking for leaks in the charge piping on a BHW in an 05 Passat.

I've seen a tool with plugs and schrader valves to pressurize the charge piping and listen / look for leaks. Is there an easy DIY way to pressurize the system and listen for leaks? Or a way to trace leaks while the engine is running?

I'm trying to chase down a P0299 lost boost issue. Here's some background info.
Tandem pump just replaced. Its vacuum connection was leaking a bit (noticeable with brake pedal, not boost).
Car had no boost 2 days after - chk engine light and "emissions xx" warning.
VCDS shows P0229 code.
Group 011 basics settings test is normal. It cycles the N75 correctly, I can see the actuator moving, and the engine sound changes (turbo vanes are moving). Mityvac test on the actuator shows appropriate movement between 4-18"
Cannot detect leaks in the other vacuum lines.
THERE IS NO SMOKE ON ACCEL, but it does sound like there is a hiss, or whoosh.
I've saved logs from group 11, but I'm not skilled at reading the data.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Cheap oldschool way is to blow cigar smoke into the pipes and see where it comes from. Or now I guess a vape would work too. Find a hipster and get him to blow a cloud into your intake pipe. Lol. No joke, cigar trick wors very well.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Speaking of blowing smoke...
Put away your White Owls because it won't work at idle. Boost leaks usually need pressure to open up.
A careful inspection may reveal a tell-tale oil seepage on the boost piping at the leak, though.
Maybe you can get Mongler98 to stick his head in there while you are making some boost at speed.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
are you for real???

Blow smoke into the system till its full and coming out the ends, close it up and presurize with compressed at at 20 PSI, you WILL find the leak.

if you cant use your head to critically think of a solution, don't and go spend $$$$ for no reason.
Here, let me spell it out so you don't have to process this madness called logic
$6 at lowes
PVC fitting cap and a air attachment.
Drill a hole in the pcv cap, heat up the air tool fitting and force thread it while hot to help soften/melt the threads (SUPPER EASY)
OR you can buy a $7 on amazon bolt on style tire valve stem and use that if you have no compressor.
Now drive to a 7/11 and buy a cheep AF cigar. You need a milk gallon container if you don't smoke.
Fill the gallon container with tap water and drill a small hole enough to fit the cigar into the cap.
while your AT 7/11 (provided that they have "free air" for your tires, Light the cigar and jam it into the hole, now poke a hole at the bottom of the gallon container, the water wil drain at a medium speed, drawing nothing but heavy smoke. once drained and filled with smoke, take the cap off and hold your finger over the hole or some tape and push on the container to put ALL that smoke into the intake boot After the turbo and then insert the PVC cap. hose clamp it in place and put the air filler to the valve stem. Pressurize to 20PSI and watch for smoke shooting from the leak.

D
O
N
E

you can youtube this to help out.
this is such an old school trick! and i love it. I have a compressor and a glycol fog machine that does the same thing, i think i still have it in my storage shed behind my shop. Its been a while since i have had to use it but i used this method ALL THE TIME to find boost leaks, vacuum leaks, A leak in radiators, and so much more.

AlSO W?F is a "white Owles", and did i say to have the engine running?

this might not be the "best" but it sure is easy, cheep, simple, safe, and ghetto

RESULTS

Last edited:

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
Brilliant!

My kids have a new science project to help me with. I'll post up the results once I have it done.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yea yea, i knew id get some slack for linking this but its the only quick video i could find and NO videos exist that are not of "those kind of ppl" doing "those kind of things"
this is not who i am at all and please do not judge me based on that link. Judge me basked on my halfassed ideas and ghetto mods! LOL