2000 ALH Clearing Codes

icanreachit

TDI
VW Golf TDI
Just wondering if anyone could help with a few codes that are reluctant.

17569 - Manifold Temp Sensor (G72)
P1161 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Pulled the plug, cleaned it, pulled the shroud on the wire up to the next junction, no issues. Cleared the code and it keeps coming back. I am reluctant to swap the sensor until I can confirm that everything else has been done. I've seen some videos on cleaning it, but not sure that this would resolve the issue.

17849 - EGR Valve (N18)
P1441 - 35-10 - Open Circuit or Short to Ground - Intermittent

I removed the N18 so... I'm thinking I just need to re-attach it to the connector? I've tuned it down with VCDS. In another thread I saw that you can (credit Keaton85)

Add a 10watt 30-40ohm resistor to the connector and completely remove the N18.

I don't have the ASV so I'm not sure how to run the vacuum lines, just plug the line to it? I'll try to replicate the model in the link but keep my vacuum reservoir.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Seems your MAP sensor is shot.... not unusual.

Yep! Just plug the hose.

icanreachit

TDI
VW Golf TDI
So I just wanted to follow up for anyone else with this issue or symptoms. I used 2x 10ohm resistors in series for the plug and it disappeared! Then I swapped the sensor and I can once again boost up to 18psi! I had been stuck at 15PSI for a while and hadn't the faintest why. So, not sure if this is an ECU restriction but it would make sense if so, when your G72 sensor is starting to fail, the ECU limits its boost request? No change in behavior from the plug for the EGR, unless that was what released my available boost.