name this wheel sound (vid inside)

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
my car is making this exact same noise. its worse when coasting, off the gas, or the clutch is in. its an 03 jetta TDI that sat in a lot for 2 years. 115,000 miles.

I read in a few places that it could be lose lug nuts.... car is at the shop right now getting a tire balance done and diagnosing this sound, but I wanted to see what the real jetta experts figured.

its the EXACT same sound as this guy is experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ac7BxgmWOA

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
There are 3 common things that cause lungs or studs to back out.
Most common, not torqued enough
2nd torqued too much.
3rd improper hardware used, especially with new wheels
Porsche magazine had an interesting article about this issue at the track. Many drivers had issues where the heat from breaking caused the powder coat to melt or soften and the studs/lugs backing off.

You would be wise to keep an eye on it and if it happens again to replace the hardware and take some sandpaper on a rod to the mating surface.
Make sure it's a clean mating surface on both the lugs/studs and the wheel to the rotor

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
How loose?

How far did you drive?

How wallowed out are the holes?

How long till a wheel comes off on the freeway?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
How do you torque lungs?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I think it has something to do with milk jugs and smoke

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
How loose?

How far did you drive?

How wallowed out are the holes?

How long till a wheel comes off on the freeway?

not too sure how loose.

I only drove about 10-15 km total in town driving. test driving after it sat for 2 years, then a drive to the tire shop, then the tire shop guy drove it.

now too sure how bad the holes are... I was wondering that too, or how beat up the studs are.

and hopefully no tires fall off... been there done that before with my 05 cummins. no fun.

I heard from a buddy of the previous owner a weird story about the tires... cant remember the details but it sounds like they put them on them selves and were supposed to tighten them again/properly, but didnt. they ended up parking the car as is, it sat for 2 years till I came and bought it, and here we are. $60 diagnostic later and im back cruisin.

I will definitely keep a close eye on it and not neglect the re torque!!

thanks guys.