00 jetta airbag deployment question

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
i got my 2 front airbags deployed (driver and passenger
only) after an accident, I found a good used airbag module without any bag being deployed, ,module matches numbers on the top of my module only bottom#s do not match I think bottom # is the S/N so they can be different not 100% sure on this,,,, haven't bought it yet, then I will be shopping for a used airbags,,,, i had a couple choices on the module sent mine that had been in a crash for restoring or get me a used one that had not been in a crash without any deployment on the airbags,,

If i were to buy this used module, can I buy just any 4 spoke steering and passenger bags that fits without matching any numbers from my deployed air bags? or do I have to match the parts numbers too? Im probably going to get flamed for saying trying to purchase a used airbags, but think about it, what we have in our tdis and other cars are used airbags anyway,, I am all ears for suggestions,, and thxs ahead

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
As far as I know. ALL numbers have to match. My experience is limited as I've only done this once. I switched driver side air bag, passenger side airbag and the airbag control unit. I did not change the seat belt igniters as they were not affected.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I replaced the module, wheel and passenger dash bag (also driver's side belt assembly) in my '01 Jetta. Some parts came from different sources so they weren't "matching numbers", just proper part numbers.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I am curious why people say do not use used airbagas,,, when basically all airbags in our cars been there for a long time and are not new

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am curious why people say do not use used airbagas,,, when basically all airbags in our cars been there for a long time and are not new
"Used" airbag to me would be one that had been deployed.
Rather rare to hear of an airbag that didn't deploy when it was "supposed" to.

Last edited:

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Mostly because you cant be sure it was a recall replacement. Who needs shrapnel in your face when it goes off?

On one of these, I would want oem packing with a make date somewhere. They have recalled mine 3 times so far.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
so where you buy on line basically means that you just do not know if they were deployed,, new airbags though are expensive but safety first

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
this is in regards to a 2000 model year Jetta?...yes?

I was not aware of any recall on air bags in that era of these cars.

Is this other guy making reference to his 2013 model that had recalls. That would be apples and oranges.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
AFAIK all Mk4 airbags are the same. And I think they're shared with the period Passat and EuroVan models! They didn't use Takata airbags.

IMHO I'd have no problems installing a used SRS module and airbags from a non-crashed car. They were fine in the other car, right?

You might want to replace the clockspring too.

Be aware of the airbag module bugs on 2000s - a scan tool can crash the module and set a fault code. VCDS has measures in place to prevent this.

-J

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
this is in regards to a 2000 model year Jetta?...yes?
I was not aware of any recall on air bags in that era of these cars.
Is this other guy making reference to his 2013 model that had recalls. That would be apples and oranges.
Yes 00 Jetta

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
AFAIK all Mk4 airbags are the same. And I think they're shared with the period Passat and EuroVan models! They didn't use Takata airbags.
IMHO I'd have no problems installing a used SRS module and airbags from a non-crashed car. They were fine in the other car, right?
You might want to replace the clockspring too.
Be aware of the airbag module bugs on 2000s - a scan tool can crash the module and set a fault code. VCDS has measures in place to prevent this.
-J
Thxs for the advice, exactly what I asked and members replied not to buy them used, that's how I got confused and asked about an airbag in our cars they are already in use,, so they are used so getting them from on line seller used and not deployed are a good to go that's what I thought.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no qualms about buying and installing non-deployed airbags from parted/salvaged vehicles. Have no recollection of such bags not working when required. As such, some have been installed in my 2001 "jettawreck" project since 2004. Thankfully, I haven't had to "test" them yet.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Where do you guys are getting the clock springs from?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Anyone parting out a car.
I’ve had to replace the steering wheel airbag and clock spring , passenger airbag, and drivers seat belt setup. I also had to do the air bag module . On that one I had to make sure the part number and letter where identical. The rest I just matched p/n’s.

I sourced my parts from members here and ebay.

Mine were for a 2003 NB that was in a front fender bender that I saved from a salvage yard.
Once I changed all the components and cleared any airbag faults it’s beem good, that was 5 years ago.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
So my passanger air bag S/N is 1J0888284D for 00 mk4 Jetta, I've been shopping for 1 and I see a lot of 1J0880204K apparently looks identical like my airbag and it is showing that came off from 01 Jetta TDI, does anybody know if I can fit this airbag without any issues, I found my airbag module exactly the same serial# and all matching numbers like the one I have in my 00 Jetta, but I'm having issues trying to get a used passanger air bag matching my S/N but looks like it fits though.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You might have to go to the dealer and check with there parts department to see what P/N’s are compatible with your car.
I think you are confusing S/N and P/N.

S/N’s are going be used to identify one part in a production run to a particular P/N.

P/N’s are to identify a particular part and where they are made. Many P\N’s can be interchanged if made by different venders but for the same car.
The dealer might be able to help.
Just my .02.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Often the last digit in a part number is a letter which just designates the latest revision/version or production run.
Cross reference and research the applications.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I meant part number

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
How do I know if my seat belt set up, igniters good or bad? I replaced steering clock spring, driver air bag, still waiting for passanger air bag to come,

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If the steering wheel airbag goes off I think the seatbelt tensioner fires too.

Did the old module have a fault code for a fired belt tensioner?

-J

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
If the steering wheel airbag goes off I think the seatbelt tensioner fires too.

Did the old module have a fault code for a fired belt tensioner?

-J
I

I did not scan it with the old module but I can still put it in and do it,

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’d try that and see what it says.
But if a seat belt fires it’s in a fixed position, at least that how it was on the car I got for my daughter.
Drivers side didn’t extend or retract.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Driver side belt retracts and extends, when you say seat belt fire what do you mean sorry for my ignorance

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The one on my daughters to be bug was locked up, no in or out on the belt through the retractor.
As soon as you connect VCDS to the car and do the auto scan, if there is a problem it will flag it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And there is no ignorance....... you just haven’t been shown yet ��

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I cleared all air bag codes after installing both air bags passengers and driver now I'm only getting igniters on passenger and driver I guess bags and module are ok, so who sells igniters for both sides?