Aux-In for double DIN 12 pin MK4, also 8 pin single DIN

Rafedial1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I've found an inexpensive Aux-In interface for OEM MK4 Double Din radios.

It is for 12 pin CD changer connector. The 12 pins are in late 2002 through 2005 model year VW Jetta/Golf(double DIN size). The 8 pins are in 1999.5-early 2002 VW (single DIN). You must choose appropriate connector/interface for model year.

Installed it today and works well! using my ancient ipod nano for music.

Finally freedom from burned CD's and the same 10 songs on the radio!

Not sure what the rules are for posting an Ebay item # ? MODS???
I am not affiliated with the company, just always looking to help VW owners save some money on non critical items.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
"Rafedial1", I don't think the moderators have any issues with members posting links or pics to Ebay items. So please provide the link to the item you are now using.
I have been using the USA SPEC DF-VW for many years now. It plugs into the CD changer port and has two sets of RCA inputs. I think I paid about $70 for it and it has been money well spent.

The item you are talking about is probably very similar...

Last edited:

Rafedial1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
OK, Ebay item number 351211256102. $24.98

This is the 12 pin model, without the USB power out for charging your device while driving.
They have 3.5mm jack +USB power for $10 more. but i thought it wasn't necessary. They also have the 8 pin version for single DIN VW radios. Yes, it's Chinese and it takes 3 weeks to get to US.

Rafedial1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yep, need 4 special removal keys (on ebay for $3.99 shipped, item #231108524481) for double DINs and only 2 keys for single DINs I believe.

Once it's pulled out some, you just have to disconnect the blue connector, and replace with the white one pictured above. Then tuck the interface down in the gap below radio and route 3.5mm cord through dash/console and out near floor. It then will reach shifter area so you can rest the ipod/device/phone right there.

Also, if you already have the optional CD changer in the trunk, it will be inoperable(since blue connector is for prewired changer harness.

EDIT: the single black wire with ring terminal is a ground. There is a rubber plug/bolt stud located on back of radio that is fine for this ground terminal.

Last edited:

Rafedial1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
NO. You do not need the code!

As long as you don't disconnect any wiring besides the blue connector(CD changer).

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
that's a good deal. I paid 150.00, I believe, for an enfig unit with charger. although it has worked great, I would have liked to save money.

DanVito

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon, BEW, 242k miles & counting
The USASpec unit is the way to go if you can afford the extra coin. It also provides power to the iPod and, with some later head units, control through the head unit, if memory serves.

But, for the budget conscious, that E-Bay unit is a good answer. Nice find.

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
Do you have a source for the usa one? I couldn't find a retailer that had them they are shown as discontinued on Crutchfield.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
So, this thing finally arrived a couple months later, and can't get my radio out...lol. Awesome.

Like everything else, looks like somebody was screwin' around with it before and scrambled all four locks inside the slots.

So, I suppose I have to disassemble the whole car now?...

Or continue on listening to FM radio...lol.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
........can't get my radio out...lol. Awesome.

Like everything else, looks like somebody was screwin' around with it before and scrambled all four locks inside the slots.......lol.
mine was the same way. i first removed the screws by the glove box. 3 screws under the cage by the cig lighter. hard to remember but seems there are a couple under the side trim pieces after they are pried apart to reach them.
do a search on radio removal without keys and there should be better info. been a while since i did mine.

TTKID

TDI
10 Jetta TDi, 00 Golf TDi, 04 Evo, 06 F350, 21 M340iX
OK, Ebay item number 351211256102. $24.98

This is the 12 pin model, without the USB power out for charging your device while driving.
They have 3.5mm jack +USB power for $10 more. but i thought it wasn't necessary. They also have the 8 pin version for single DIN VW radios. Yes, it's Chinese and it takes 3 weeks to get to US.
Do you have a link for the 8 pin version? I've searched through that seller but only seeing the one for the 12 pin.

ConvergenceFreak

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon GLS w/ 5-speed swap
Does anyone have experience with the units from YaTour? The latest models have integrated bluetooth modules.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yato...di-Skoda-Seat-Quadlock-Hi-Fi/32363721428.html

Model: YTBTA-VW12D

After searching through a lot of ads, this one says you might be able to keep the built in CD changer in the back too. Since I bought mine for $20 on ebay, no big loss, but, would be nice to keep it in there. On sale atm for $90 too.

With that 12 pin quad lock connector it looks like it might even fit my 02 Jetta with the Moonsoon double din unit. I think it's a premium 6 head unit which the YaTour says it'll support even if they don't have the 02 Jetta listed. I'll have to check what I have. The sticker fell off last time I had the unit out, but, I think I saved it :)

Anyone with experience with these?
Any thoughts about 02 Jetta compatibility?

Thanks in advance!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
So I finally got this Aux-In adapter installed today. For $25 bucks, I'd say it's well worth it. I had to take my entire dash apart to get my radio out...which was a pain in the bum, but otherwise it was easy to install and it works as advertised.

The plug that goes into the back of the radio is a hair wider than the stock plug. It works just fine...but takes a little more pressure to insert.

Oh, I put the adapter in the glove box, so the cable isn't visible when not in use. If I need it, just open the glove box, pull the cable out, and close the glove box again.

Now I can finally retire my old cassette tape adapter...lol.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Question for the OP...or anybody else that purchased this $25 aux-in adapter:

Are you getting any alternator noise when you use yours?

I suppose the OP and myself are the only two people that purchased these...

Anyway, everything works...and it was perfect in the driveway, but with the car running, I'm getting some alternator noise feedback.

Anybody know of any miracle cures for this...noise filter? This adapter plugs into the main radio plug, and I have it grounded on the lug at the back of the radio.

What if I grounded it to the chassis instead? Or, I suppose there is a ground wire in the harness I disconnected (from the back of the car I assume).

Quattr00

TDI
Golf 2005
Does anyone have experience with the units from YaTour? The latest models have integrated bluetooth modules.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yato...di-Skoda-Seat-Quadlock-Hi-Fi/32363721428.html

Model: YTBTA-VW12D

After searching through a lot of ads, this one says you might be able to keep the built in CD changer in the back too. Since I bought mine for $20 on ebay, no big loss, but, would be nice to keep it in there. On sale atm for $90 too.

With that 12 pin quad lock connector it looks like it might even fit my 02 Jetta with the Moonsoon double din unit. I think it's a premium 6 head unit which the YaTour says it'll support even if they don't have the 02 Jetta listed. I'll have to check what I have. The sticker fell off last time I had the unit out, but, I think I saved it :)

Anyone with experience with these?
Any thoughts about 02 Jetta compatibility?

Thanks in advance!
I have that one in my car, well the previous version. It works as advertised.
I bought mine for a little over a 100 dollar. The Bluetooth works if you are using the CD function. If you are on radio it does not work, your phone will ring but you will have to switch to CD.
You can have 6 folders with 100 songs each.

In my opinion good for the price.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Am I the only person that used the blank cassette thingy that had an aux plug attached to it?
It was maybe $10, simple, small, packed away quickly, zero work required, and it worked.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I used one for years. Over time the contact in it wore out, so I'd have to wedge a piece of silicone hose on top of the cassette and it would work right. Shortly after I went to aux cord radios. Now I just use Bluetooth.

benw82

TDI
2006 golf tdi, 85 golf diesel
yes, i use the cassette now... and its my third cassette. but sound quality sucks. most of the time sound only comes out of the right speakers.
i ordered this $10 rig and i'll report back once its installed

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Am I the only person that used the blank cassette thingy that had an aux plug attached to it?
It was maybe $10, simple, small, packed away quickly, zero work required, and it worked.
I used one a few times.
It worked but I was not impressed with the sound.
Goes back many years, possibly in the 80's. :cool: