Drivers side clicking noise

Jim_98

Hi There,

I have noticed that when I encounter any bumps in the road there is a clicking noise on the drivers side. I bounced the front end when I was stationary and as the momentum built up there it was. There is no noise on the passenger side. The CV joint and drive shaft boots seem to be in good order, has anybody else encountered this problem? Any advice?

Thanks
Jim

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
If it disappears with the brakes slightly on while going over bumps, then check the phillips screw that holds the rotor tight to the wheel. You will have to take off the wheel to get at the screw on the rotor. Just had my rear rotor make a clicking noise on low speed bumps and this was the cause. The rotor would be loose enough to click on bumps, slower speeds is when I noticed it.

Jim_98

Thanks, BUT

I just recently had the front pads and rotors changed, the sound was there before and is still there now. I read before about a problem with control arm bushings, tis seams a more probable cause, but I am still not sure!!!

Jim

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The only way to get to the bottom of that is to have someone else bounce the car while you poke around underneath to find out where the noise is coming from. Upper strut mounts, ball joints, tie rod ends, antiroll bar bushings, debris trapped somewhere, are all possibilities. If the noise happens when you move the suspension with the car stopped and it's the same noise as when the car is moving, it's unlikely to involve the halfshafts (CV joints).

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute