www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 13th, 2018, 15:07   #1
tdipwr

Default 2006 Jetta running bad

Ok I just bought a 06 tdi with 187,000 miles it was in limp mode pretty much my intire 6 hr trip home. I found a vacuum line that was off and that fixed the limp mode still ran kinda bad. Cel was on two codes one was mass air flow and one was o2 sensor. I replaced the mass air sensor but still running bad. It runs great as long as you donít push the pedal down much past 1/4 throttle then it starts acting up. My question is can a bad o2 sensor do this? It almost acts like something restricting it under load. It will rev fine in neautral but struggles under a load. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
tdipwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 16:06   #2
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

You should post the full VCDS scan. This will be needed to help with your diagnosis.
06 Jetta TDI White w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG
06 Jetta TDI Black w/Beige Pkg 0 5MT
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 05:17   #3
dandywriter
Veteran Member

If the car is new to you, a good start would be changing the fuel filter and air filter. If it is cold, add a couple of ounces of power service white in case you have gelled fuel (also, adds a bit of cetane). An oil change to a known type (lots of info on here about which) - 505.01 or T6 are frequently recommended on the forums - also a good idea.

If you don't know the last timing belt service, it would be a good idea to change the timing belt/check the cam and lifters; if they haven't been done yet, you are overdue for the timing belt and associated internals (water pump etc).

A VCDS scan, as Windjammers says, helps a lot.
2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Bosal hitch, frostheater, evo skidplate, upgraded rear springs and front spring dist kit (1" lift), GIAC Stg 1 tune, USA Spec iPod adapter, SMF clutch, Coolant Heater Grill Outlet, winter front, LED backup and lic lights, VCDS

dandywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 12:31   #4
tdipwr

Default Jetta

So today I removed the o2 sensor and cleaned it and it appeared to be almost new but Iím not sure the plug was plugged in all the way. I also changed fuel filter and air filter and started the car and CEL went off shortly after. I took car for a drive and it runs great not sure what fixed it but itís fixed.
tdipwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 09:34   #5
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:
It runs great as long as you donít push the pedal down much past 1/4 throttle then it starts acting up. My question is can a bad o2 sensor do this? It almost acts like something restricting it under load. It will rev fine in neautral but struggles under a load. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
So today I removed the o2 sensor and cleaned it and it appeared to be almost new but Iím not sure the plug was plugged in all the way. I also changed fuel filter and air filter and started the car and CEL went off shortly after. I took car for a drive and it runs great not sure what fixed it but itís fixed.
The likely order would be Fuel filter, air filter, egr clogged, leaks in intercooler hoses screwing up boost and as you found out vacuum leaks screwing up turbo actuator function.

O2 sensor I don't think will have very much an effect, other than to warn there are other problems. Even though the Mass flow sensor measures the problem(s), it normally is not the problem. There is an easy test to verify it is not the MAF
James & Son is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 09:46   #6
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Just an aside to the above post. If you pay Terry Dyson 150.00 for an oil analysis he is able to tell if it was air filter or fuel filter by his oil analysis.
He tunes high performance cars this way not for all out power but overall efficient performance.

Last edited by James & Son; February 17th, 2018 at 09:49.
James & Son is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 13:03   #7
banshee365
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '13 Passat

MAF code? Better check the cam....
banshee365 is offline   Reply With Quote