Wiper blades for 2004 Passat

vwtom

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE
I just received a quote for my 2004 Passat wiper blade replacement and it seems high, around $52. Has anyone had any success in finding cheaper replacements? I can't say I am overly impressed with the longevity of the Bosch OEM blades.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Bosch OEM blades are all that you can use on your car. If you search some back posts there was a discussion on how to refill them with MicroEdge refills.

-Jason

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I just looked on World Impex and they list a Bosch Aero blade (I have bought this from them several times for my passat and they are $31 for a pair). However it only shows up when you use 2005 as they year. So I compared the other factory type blade part numbers between the 2004 and 2005 models and they use the same original type part number. So by that deduction you order the Bosch areo blade for a 2005 and they would fit perfectly. The original part numbers are identical and those cost $31 a side. However you could buy the insert. They are a little tricky to install, but not all that bad, but a great buy at under $6.00 each.

Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Do you need a new wiper blade or just a wiper blade insert? If it's just the insert, go here http://worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=178825 and order two @ $5.54 each.

To change the inserts, gently pull the end caps straight out from the ends of the wipe blade. On one end of the wiper blade is a little metal prong that holds the insert in place. Gently pry it up with a screwdriver enough to release the insert. Pull the insert out, measure and cut the new insert to length. put in the new insert, push the prong down and replace the caps...

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
owr084 said:
Do you need a new wiper blade or just a wiper blade insert? If it's just the insert, go here http://worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=178825 and order two @ $5.54 each.

To change the inserts, gently pull the end caps straight out from the ends of the wipe blade. On one end of the wiper blade is a little metal prong that holds the insert in place. Gently pry it up with a screwdriver enough to release the insert. Pull the insert out, measure and cut the new insert to length. put in the new insert, push the prong down and replace the caps...
Do these inserts last longer the the OEM blades? I can barelyget good wiping 2 months after putting them on...the streak like crazy...probably due to the dust and particlute that blows of the phosphate mounds...

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LightningTDI said:
Do these inserts last longer the the OEM blades? I can barelyget good wiping 2 months after putting them on...the streak like crazy...probably due to the dust and particlute that blows of the phosphate mounds...
They are OEM and I change mine twice a year...

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Ours wroked great until they went through a winter. Changing them once a year sounds like a good idea (inserts). The price for a spare pare is insane (though they are the best wipers I have ever had, but then I have had Ford trucks for all my life until the Passat.

ufoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, Shadow Blue, gray leather
whole unit or insert

so are most of you replacing the entire blade unit and not just the insert? that is what i did since i didn't know any better. i got better than 1.5 years on mine before replacing. i bought a pair from dealership.

maybe it was the rainx and liquid glass i use on the windshield that reduced my need to use the wipers.

thanks.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you use rain-x and after changing the inserts, you suddenly get a lof of chattering, it is due to the rain-x. The only way to get rid of it is to either find a pair of inserts that don't chatter or use bon-ami glass cleaner to totally remove all the rain-x.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
I like Aquapel. It works like rain-x, but lasts at least 6 months. It will make it easier to live with wipers that aren't perfect. I'm going to change my wipers now at 28K, 19 months old.