Wind Deflectors

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Is anyone using wind deflectors for either their sunroof, windows or both?

Are they worth the money? Do they work?

Thanks

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
I don't have one on this car but about 5 cars ago I had installed one. IMHO, they make too much noise and take away from the look of the car. The factory fishnet one on my JSW seems pretty decent so far.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
my weathertech sunroof deflector acutally makes it possible to open it up at highway speeds without stabbing my eyes out for how bad the buffeted. Before that the sunroof was a $1000 waste. I'm sure the difference between sedan vs wagen might not be as noticable.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Hmmm, I find driving with the sunroof open on my Golf is pretty quiet, without a deflector, as long as I don't open it to the fully open position.

I wonder how much a deflector hurts fuel economy, having that protrusion pushing through the air all the time. One reason we buy TDIs is for the economy; I'd hate to do something to the car that would hurt that benefit.

cshecks

TDI
2011 Graphite Blue TDI
Is anyone using wind deflectors for either their sunroof, windows or both?

Are they worth the money? Do they work?

Thanks
Don't need it for the sunroof - it's quieter and lets in less harsh wind than my A3 3.2 that I recently had.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Hmmm, I find driving with the sunroof open on my Golf is pretty quiet, without a deflector, as long as I don't open it to the fully open position.

I wonder how much a deflector hurts fuel economy, having that protrusion pushing through the air all the time. One reason we buy TDIs is for the economy; I'd hate to do something to the car that would hurt that benefit.

I'm sure it's a difference between golf and jetta.

Before the deflector i could only have the roof open two-three clicks before it started getting bad at speed. Even at highway speed with the the rear window cracked and the roof in the normal open position (not all the way open) there was nasty resonance in the cabin.

Now i only have a little sound at 30-40mph if i have a rear window cracked a little bit. I haven't noticed any hit to my MPGs, I'm sure there's something, but i'm happy with my best tank being 48mpg, and on average 44-46mpgs. The weathertech isn't too high it's pretty slimline once it was installed. When I tip the back of the roof up, it hits the back end of the deflector, so it's less than an inch above the glass when everything shut. It's like the difference between 40psi and 42psi.

Last edited:

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I haven't had any issues with buffeting on the JSW's Panoramic sunroof. Drove at highway speeds with it fully open, windows closed and it was no problem. Out of curiosity, I reached up and pulled the deflector screen down and got a tremendous buffeting, so it proved to me that its there to do something!

My only complaint on the deflector is that it will get bug filled over time, and being a screen, I'll be able to see it, and want it to be clean. Not really a comment on the screen, more a comment on my OCD...:eek:

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I haven't had any issues with buffeting on the JSW's Panoramic sunroof. Drove at highway speeds with it fully open, windows closed and it was no problem. Out of curiosity, I reached up and pulled the deflector screen down and got a tremendous buffeting, so it proved to me that its there to do something!
My only complaint on the deflector is that it will get bug filled over time, and being a screen, I'll be able to see it, and want it to be clean. Not really a comment on the screen, more a comment on my OCD...:eek:

same here! especially on the bug trap! only time i've had bad wind noise is if there is a cross wind

wsktdi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
I installed the Weathertech side window deflectors front and back on my '10 JSW and love them. The windows can be cracked in a downpour and no water comes in. The buffeting that used to happen when both back windows were partially opened is gone. I can leave all four windows cracked when parked in the heat and you can't tell. The only (minor) negative is you have to drop the windows a bit to wipe the top of the windows and the inside of the deflectors when washing the car.
For me, well worth the cost.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
I installed the Weathertech side window deflectors front and back on my '10 JSW and love them. The windows can be cracked in a downpour and no water comes in.
I had those on a car a few years ago and always left them cracked an inch or so just to be able to get into a cooler car. One day I went to go somewhere and there was this 18" Brazilian Anole on my door just stuck to the side of the car and it wouldn't budge. I closed them after that day and deal with the heat.

TDI Wagon 2011

TDI
Golf SportWagen 6sp TDI 2011
I installed the Weathertech side window deflectors front and back on my '10 JSW and love them. The windows can be cracked in a downpour and no water comes in. The buffeting that used to happen when both back windows were partially opened is gone. I can leave all four windows cracked when parked in the heat and you can't tell. The only (minor) negative is you have to drop the windows a bit to wipe the top of the windows and the inside of the deflectors when washing the car.
For me, well worth the cost.
Same here! The Weathertech are well made & installation takes 10 minutes in total.
I have side window deflectors on my cars for the past 15 years. It's the first thing I install on all of my vehicule.
It's also very good in winter to let the hot humid air exit the car when parked. You never have any frost inside...