Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Given the mileage of my car, and the growing list of should and/or need to replace items, a darn decision would ease my mind, with preference to buyback please!

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
So I took took my car in for the 150,000km service yesterday (figured I keep the maintenance up as I haven't decided on buyback/fix yet) and it turns out one of the rad fans was broken. I suspected something was up due to lots of noise from the fans lately, but I didn't want to put anything into the car right now.

The off the record comment from the service tech was the he thought keeping the car was the best bet as he felt VW would not come out with a TDI again.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
So I took took my car in for the 150,000km service yesterday (figured I keep the maintenance up as I haven't decided on buyback/fix yet) and it turns out one of the rad fans was broken. I suspected something was up due to lots of noise from the fans lately, but I didn't want to put anything into the car right now.

The off the record comment from the service tech was the he thought keeping the car was the best bet as he felt VW would not come out with a TDI again.
Your car needs repairs, of course they recommend you keep it ;)

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Well, the recommendation came before the repair. I was just checking in. But you have a point...

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
the main rad fan breaking is a common problem ..i had mine replaced under warranty just before it was up... i noticed my fans were running way too much ...at first i thought it was regen...but than thought it was regenning too much ..so when i brought it in for service and check up before my warranty was up had it replaced...was told by parts guy that this happens a lot....

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
^my rad fan sensor was broken causing the fan to continuously run. Lmfao VW has the sensor built into the fan so I had to replace the whole unit. I think it was like 350.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
Interesting Read...

http://theconversation.com/how-volk...ed-tactics-to-avoid-paying-compensation-62386

Viewpoint from Australian customers, who stand to not see much, if any, compensation: the article specifically talks about how VW is stating that only US and Canadian customers will see compensation.

Also, I read in another forum posting yesterday that, in Canada, VW can only be forced into a buyback scenario in the case that they are prosecuted under criminal charges: the Ministry of the Environment does not have the power to force them into buying back vehicles. Not sure how correct this point is, but if it is the case, it would explain why they mention restitution/compensation in all of their carefully scripted responses to questions in Canadian social media, but nothing about buybacks here.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Good point! Any information on whether Transport Canada COULD push through a buyback if they were so inclined?
Those guys right now are sitting back in their chairs, eating donuts and watching Jerry Springer reruns. On July 25th or 26th, they'll ask California to fax over what they have, they'll stamp it with a maple leaf and then send it out to the public. :)
Im pretty sure that's how it goes.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Those guys right now are sitting back in their chairs, eating donuts and watching Jerry Springer reruns. On July 25th or 26th, they'll ask California to fax over what they have, they'll stamp it with a maple leaf and then send it out to the public. :)
Im pretty sure that's how it goes.
I will happily send them a couple of double-double XL coffees and some timbits (not the jelly-filled though...those are too good) if that is the case :).

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
So if we have to start looking,an idea what kind of discounts dealers are giving state side. So you know there is $6000 off the sticker wiggle room.....andI see some dealer offering $7K off a gas jetta
http://www.hileyvw.com/new/Volkswagen/2016-Volkswagen-Golf-b442d5d00a0e0ae8270da4cb7692fd3b.htm
And then on the same site, you see a Beetle with only $600 off. I'm sure they will be able to convince more than one or two people to buy another VW with an additional $6,000 - $7,000 off a brand new vehicle.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I dunno about VW after hanging around here for 10 months.

In getting my alignment done a couple of days ago (not the dealership) and the service advisor says he bought a 15 Jetta TDI two weeks before dieselgate broke. <Groan> says me. He says he took it into the local dealership complaining about the tranny seven (7) times and they never did anything. Finally the tranny gave and he and his family (baby included) are stuck on the side of the highway in 40 degree temps. Now getting a tranny changeout.

Totatally unscientific but it seems to me that probability of ending up with a lemon are greatly increased with VW over other manufacturers. Personally I think I've got a good one but who knows?

I *do* like the idea of a new Tiguan TDI but think pigs'll fly first.

Last edited:

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
I dunno about VW after hanging around here for 10 months.
Totatally unscientific but it seems to me that probability of ending up with a lemon are greatly increased with VW over other manufacturers. Personally I think I've got a good one but who knows?
Remember, posters on this forum will have a disproportionate number of failures that does not reflect the true percentage of failures.
When something goes wrong people google <car> <error>, which leads them here, and they post their experience here. Therefore we see a higher percentage of those here than are, perhaps in the real world.
Also, most people don't post "Everything fine, never had an issue" on a forum such as this. In fact, if we had a bunch of that the admins would likely (and rightfully) be quite annoyed and tell those involved to stop.
If you go onto any enthusiast forum for a vehicle/brand you'll likely get to the point of saying the vehicle/brand must be trash I'll never buy one.
If you'd like some reassurance, other than a switch issue and squeaky window, both of which were fixed under warranty, I've not had any issues with my 2015 Jetta, currently sitting at 16,000km.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI

I *do* like the idea of a new Tiguan TDI but think pigs'll fly first.
Nonsense. Two out of three Volkswagens are perfectly reliable.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah but I also sometimes hang around a 4runner site and it's like a breath of fresh air after the technical complaints on this site. ?

Anyways, a glimpse behind the US settlement curtain:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/b...e.html?smid=tw-nytimesbusiness&smtyp=cur&_r=0
Thanks for posting that! Really interesting article to read, and gives a decent amount of insight into what went on. Makes you realize all the more that a Canadian-only action never would've happened as there doesn't seem to be the willpower/ability of governments here to coordinate and enforce similar policies.

Also interesting was the part where they said that it is expected that Judge Breyer will ratify the agreement (sounds like their minds are already made up).

Still keeping my fingers crossed for July 29th:).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Everyone's minds are made up before they pitch the settlement...the terms aren't wild guesses at what each party is willing to accept.

A judge is there to make sure the rules are followed, things proceed swiftly, and that the resolution is carried out. He isn't there to overrule a settlement or twist it up into something one or more parties are going to object to.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Just throwing this out there:

Our court update is the 29th. I believe the US one for the judge to say yea or nay is the 26th. I wonder if all the pieces are in place and agreed to up here, based on the US settlement, and they're waiting to see if any modifications come of that hearing on the 26th.

It would give them 3 days to make changes and present on the 29th.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Just throwing this out there:

Our court update is the 29th. I believe the US one for the judge to say yea or nay is the 26th. I wonder if all the pieces are in place and agreed to up here, based on the US settlement, and they're waiting to see if any modifications come of that hearing on the 26th.

It would give them 3 days to make changes and present on the 29th.
My concern is that if the various paths to "fixes" are approved on the 26th then this will allow VW to claim that buy backs are unnecessary in Canada.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
My concern is that if the various paths to "fixes" are approved on the 26th then this will allow VW to claim that buy backs are unnecessary in Canada.
I'm not too concerned about that due to the length of time it would take to get those fixes (if approved, I think they aren't approved yet), the damage already done, and the time already passed.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Another concern related to buy backs is that my speedo reads around 10% higher than actual speed. This has been confirmed using gps and roadside speed detectors. I strongly suspect that my odometer also reads about 10% higher mileage as a result.

I think this may be another bit of deception from VW as warranties expire that much sooner.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
That's an interesting point and one that merits raising to the judge during the public comment period.

It's a demonstrable and verifiable issue that impacts of the value calculations.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Another concern related to buy backs is that my speedo reads around 10% higher than actual speed. This has been confirmed using gps and roadside speed detectors. I strongly suspect that my odometer also reads about 10% higher mileage as a result.

I think this may be another bit of deception from VW as warranties expire that much sooner.
No, your odometer is accurate. In fact, provided that you are using the OEM tires or something equivalent in rolling diameter, the vehicle electronics know the speed with very good accuracy, too. It only DISPLAYS a number that is no less than, and generally a few percent higher than, your actual speed, as required by all worldwide motor vehicle safety standards. This protects you from speeding tickets and it protects the manufacturer from being blamed for your speeding tickets.

Again ... your odometer is accurate within the margin of error of your tire sizes.

Baba O'Riley

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6-sp
I'm inclined to believe you Brian but how do you know that with certainty?
In every car I have owned, my one way commute to work has always read 74.2 to 74.4km. That is over a period of 16 years with same journey.

BUT my VW and Audi have both read around 10% faster than my actual speed. No other cars have done that.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm inclined to believe you Brian but how do you know that with certainty?
1. Compare your speedometer reading and distance with GPS.

2. If you have vagcom or scangauge or anything of the sort, compare its speed display with your speedometer.

3. If you have the opportunity, set your road speed to a known speed via GPS or obdII and drive a known distance in a known time.

Trust me, your odometer will be within 1% with stock tire sizes, the speed that the computer knows about (access via obdII) will be just as accurate as the odometer, but the speedo will display higher than the real speed.