CV Boot Issues Common?

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Been looking over my car real good as of late. Bumper-to-bumper warranty will be up in 2k miles.
I noticed on my right wheel, the outer CV boot clamp had come loose. It doesn't look torn, but grease is definitely coming out of it and the band clamp is loose.
Is this sort of thing common? Haven't seen much traffic about it...

CNY_TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I am not sure about VW but Nissan considered the CV boot and driveshaft as part of the powertrain.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
130K miles on my 2006 and all the boots are fine. That is why a service is not just an oil change. The inspection part of a service is to make sure nothing unexpected has happened. It's great you found it before the joint started to make noise.

And no, what you found isn't all that common. Sometimes stuff just happens.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
130K miles on my 2006 and all the boots are fine. That is why a service is not just an oil change. The inspection part of a service is to make sure nothing unexpected has happened. It's great you found it before the joint started to make noise.

And no, what you found isn't all that common. Sometimes stuff just happens.
There was a report done not too long ago (consumer report or digest or something) that showed dealers would ignore this kind of stuff and really didn't do the "inspections" part beyond topping off fluids and tire pressure. They gain to make more money later when a) you are out of warranty and have to pay for the repair at retail pricing and b) more damage is done as in this case an axle replacement as opposed to just a boot and grease.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I was an oil change change jockey back in the late 70's and let me tell you that even though there were specific things that were suppose to be checked, none of that stuff is ever looked at. I did get dinged for not finding things they could make money on.

One of their favorites was a differential pinion leak which had a big profit margin and was usually caused by the differential being over filled.

Dealers don't do a complete service. Oil changes are done by the least experienced person in the shop, with no guidance on what to look for usually.