Oil in air intake?

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
hello all. i recently changed my air filter and noticed what looked like a small amount of oil just downstream of the maf (just kinda pooling in the intake piping/hose). i just did a oil change two days prior, the "oil" was golden in color, it doesn't look like its been in the motor. any explanation for this?
also, i changed the fuel filter and noticed air bubbles in the transparent fuel line afterwards, while the car was running. the car seems to idle and run fine. is this normal? thanks.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
From what I've read on here, a bit of oil is ok in the intake. There's that valve cover line that goes into the intake that could be the source of oil. Take off the rubber elbow that goes from the upper intercooler pipe to the egr. Look for oil in there. Mine has oil there, but it's a little bit that sits at the bottom.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
hello all. i recently changed my air filter and noticed what looked like a small amount of oil just downstream of the maf (just kinda pooling in the intake piping/hose).
An oily film is normal there due to the a fine mist of oily air being passed out the crankcase vent.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
^^^ Yup!
This is an excellent diagram of the engine bay.

You can see item 7 that CopaMundial lists and where it's connecting to the intake. A bit of oil is ok, as long as you're not puoring it out in cups. I am going to be poking around in my intake piping soon and I'll be looking for oil pooling in the bottom of my intercooler. There should be some in there, but it shouldn't be sloshing out. If what you have can be simply wiped off with a finger, you're ok. Large amounts of oil or crazy smoking is bad.