ASR Dash Light on the 99.5

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I hate to make duplicate topics... but the main ASR thread is huge!

Ok, I'm looking at that diagram. When you send +12v to pin 15 at the ASR pump, it shuts it off. But pin 15 also sends the signal to the instrument cluster to make the warning light come on?

I would really like to have a light come on in the dash when the system is active. CoolWht mentioned he saw someone who had connected the ASR light to the brake warning light. That sounds like a good solution. Or perhpas I could wire it into the ABS light? Would that be easy to do?

As always, TIA

-J

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Re: ASR Dash Light.

I would really like to have a light come on in the dash when the system is active.
Doesn't your ASR light flash when the brakes are being applied? Mine does.

Maybe you cluster doesn't have the light/icon/LED?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Re: ASR Dash Light.

Guess I should add that there is a cutout in the face for the light. But it doesn't seem to have a LED behind it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Well... it looks like I'm in the same boat as Danix was when he fitted the system to his car... no wire at terminal 15 on the ABS pump. Gotta pick up a repair wire...

Oh, and looking at my car the gromet for the throtle cable on the non DBW cars seemes to be covered by heat shilding in the engine compartment. Am I just not looking hard enough, or is it covered? Any tricks to getting it through the main wireing gromet?

EDIT: Got the wire through the main wireing gromet.

-J

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Sent you a PM but you are on the right track.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We all know from experience that Model Year 2000 and newer(till 2001.5) cars have a wire connecting the cluster at T32a/14 to the ABS pump/module at T25/15.

We know this because if you add an ASR pump/module to the car, the ASR light will flash on the cluster face without running any new wires.

We also know that if you run a new wire from the switch to the ABS pump/module at T25/15, it will disable the ASR function while lighting up the ASR icon on the cluster.

Looking at the diagram:

Switched and Fused power comes from FUSE 7 and connects to pin T6/6 of the ASR switch.

A new wire from the ASR switch at T6/5 connects with a wire, which splits off to the cluster(T32a/14), and then goes out to the ABS pump/module at T25/15.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Thanks!!!!

I'm gunna see if I can basterdize another LED into the ASR switch and have that flash when the system is active / disabled. (Did you see that I have a 99.5?)

The reason I was confused about the fues was because in the monster thread you said to pull the fuse, see which wire had juice, then use that wire. I'll make the correction.

I'll post some pics once I get this going.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Ok, Switch and wireing are installed.

Before I push the button, there is .001v on T6/5. After, it's .006v. Push it again and it goes back to .001v

Does that small change in voltage trip the dash light?

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Oh, one other question:

What servers as the ground for the backlights on the dash buttons. Do they go through the convenience computer, or to the body?

TIA

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
T6/2 can be grounded to any of the other switches in your dash. They all eventually tie together and most likely get grounded under the steering column or behind the dash.

It doesn't matter. Just take power and ground from the next closest switch.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FUSE 7 clarification:

I really hope I didn't say to use the live wire but regardless, it's still switched and is also protected beyond the fuse in the fuse box.

It's better to use the non-live wire of Fuse 7

L

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I might have misunderstood... I did move the wire to the connection after the fuse.

Any ideas on how the dash light works? Noone seemes to have figgured it out in the other thread either

-J

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It won't work on a 99, period. It's wired through the wire you're missing.

Do you have any 12V LED's? If you need one, shoot me an address and I'll send you one. It won't fit in your switch, but you can mount it anywhere.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can take the wire, which would normally run to the cluster and connect it to this LED.

Mount the LED somewhere.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Actually, I was going to take the yellow LED sitting here on my desk and mount it inside the switch so it made the 'ASR' flash
I would grind off the numb that keeps the contacs from connecting to the pin from the pump, solder the led + resister to the terminal, and leave the nub that keeps the contact from connecting to the +12v pin intact so the switch still worked.

But when I turned the system off, I didn't measure any voltage on the line from the pump.
(Becaus the light should be on then, right?)

That's also why I asked about the lighting ground, I was going to use it to ground the ASR led I'de mount in the switch. Didn't think gorunding the ABS computer through the CCM was a good idea.

-j

aurora04444

TDI
1999.5 TDI Silver Golf
I have a 99.5 Golf TDI and my ABS light always comes on when I turn the ignition to warm the glow plugs up. Then it goes out before I start the engine. But now it is coming on about 30 secs after driving away. And the braking isn't as good as it usually is. I hear the light being on means the ABS isn't working now, but how to fix it or narrow down the possibilities?
Help!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Wow... old thread. Adding this tidbit in case anyone goes searching later.

On the 99.5 TDI, the ASR / Traction light wire from the cluster is tied to ground (to keep the light off)... the LED and driver circuits are present. If you add ASR, cut the wire at the back of the cluster and join it to the warning indicator / defeat button pin at the ABS module and it will work properly.

Thanks,

-J