strange exhaust noise after Malone tune

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hello all, got a weird issue after getting Malone Eco tune plus EGR delete and dynamic idle. Car is a 2002 Jetta with 5 speed and 147k on the clock. Only after doing an EGR delete and sending out the ECM for a the above tune, I was getting what I could best describe as a rattling or growling exhaust sound while accelerating. I only hear when in second, and below 2200 RPM. Once it hits 2200 rpm, the noise goes away, and the power really seemed to pick up. The car is bone stock otherwise. No CEL's, no stored DTC's, and no abnormal smoke that I can see. I moved my timing back toward the middle of the graph (I was advanced to the limit, but within spec) and this seemed to reduce the noise somewhat. Also played with the IQ, but made no difference. Currently, the IQ is back at the stock setting, which for me is 2.0. Vacuum checks out as well, it pegs my mity-vac, and turbo vanes are not sticking. I can not reproduce it in any gear but second(that I can tell), but the noise is definitely seems to be engine related. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this, or could offer any advice. I welcome all comments, and appreciate any advice!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I'm having the same sort of thing after a tune, mine sounds like a little exhaust leak type noise. I've fitted a new exhaust down pipe and replaced all the gaskets, also tried another turbo I had spare just out of curiosity but no, nothing has made any difference lol.

I can't find any oily mess around any of the boost pipes to suggest a leak either, not sure I'll ever solve this one! :D

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I'm having the same sort of thing after a tune, mine sounds like a little exhaust leak type noise. I've fitted a new exhaust down pipe and replaced all the gaskets, also tried another turbo I had spare just out of curiosity but no, nothing has made any difference lol.

I can't find any oily mess around any of the boost pipes to suggest a leak either, not sure I'll ever solve this one! :D
Sounds like we're having the same issue. The frustrating part is my car ran and sounded PERFECT before tune. I'm just worried I'm doing damage to the car now.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Mark has tuned hundreds of these vehicles, all the eco tune really does is raise boost from 15-18 through part of the RPM range, mostly 18-2300 and then taper it down. It is far from aggressive software and only a minor bump over stock. It is the least aggressive tune we offer.

Your IQ should be set between 3 and 7, two is outside the factory recommended spec. Checking your boost values wouldn't be a bad idea either, they should be between 15 and 18 and not into the 20s.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I have a malone tune (stage 1 dynamic EGR) and the engine feels and sounds different from about 2200 RPM and up....I attribute the sound to the additional power that seems to come on pretty hard after getting the RPM's up.

I don't notice any rattles or exhaust leaks as a result if the tune...I do note the additional power tho! ;-)

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the info Owain. I was curious how the tune was accomplished. I'm not blaming it on the tune, it's just that the issue occurred after tune and EGR delete. It could be as simple as the harmonics of the exhaust being changed by the missing EGR hardware, though I still can't explain why I only hear it in second while accelerating between 1800 and 2200 rpm. It's strange. I'll try to log some boost numbers when I get a chance this weekend. Thanks for the replies so far!