Centered or offset boost gauge?

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
I was wondering why people went with one or the other? Anyone have photos of one or both? Trying to decide if blocking of the centre of the console would bug me (nothing to see on there though). Thanks!

VAG TDI

TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon (5spd)
I went with a center mount gauge mount for boost because it doesn't block view to the tach or speedo at all. I think the only reason not to do so would be if you wanted to put two gauges on the column, which I would still avoid anyway and put any other gauges somewhere else such as the center stack (above a single DIN stereo), vent, or A-pillar.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I had an offset boost gauge in my mk4, and once the novelty wore off I found myself always moving to look around it at the gauge. I found I paid no attention to it at all anymore and it was more of an annoyance to me in the way, so I took it back off.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I have an off set mount (to the left), it blocks the clock. Annoying. Since I don't have the MFD in my cluster, I should have gone with the centered mount. I think it's more $ though.:)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have a dual pod steering column mount: 40 psi boost and EGT. Analog as I only work about the EGT when I am thrashing it and I don't need to read a number: if it is at 3:00 I need to slow down or down shift. (about 1200 degrees F.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I have the left side pod which blocks the clock.
Really doesn't bother me.
If I need the time I lean to the left a bit or pull myself forward & look over the top.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Yes, I was happier without it, but I did look at it for a while and enjoyed it at first. Soon enough the novelty wore off and I removed it. I had also put in the european MAF display cluster and it hid it some too. I later sold the car to a friend and he wanted it, so I put it back on, and also the mufflerectomy I had reversed because i did not like the drone.

Yamaha put it so aptly in their ads years ago, "Different strokes for different folks." It actually held a double meaning in their ads back then as they sold two strokes mainly.

I now own a mkV TDI, mostly stock except for a tune and trailer hitch. I have been eyeing a MAF information display thinking that might be kinda neat and unobtrusive, but they cost too much for me to have pulled the trigger yet.

If you want one, knock yourself out, but I would advise to get the center mounted one if you do.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
I appreciate the advice, I'd get the centered one on your advice but I don't know if I'm willing to spend the $170 (Canadian) for something I'm going to get bored of.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
The one in my Audi is above the radio. I have one in my white car that's a single gauge pod now and it's on the left side. I honestly see no difference. It's there, it's not in the way of anything important for me. I think you just get used to having it there in that car(if you have multiple) and just end up glancing there as you drive. You can do a pillar gauge too. The wagon will have two gauges. Left side is boost and right side is egt. My logic behind that is that the needle on the tach and on the boost gauge will move around more for city or driving in traffic. The egt and speedo will tend to hover around the same figure while cruising.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Lots of great info, I think I may get a boost valve first as doing is now my main issue (if I really step on it)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I picked up an OBD II reader (< $20) that connects via bluetooth to your cell phone and bought the Torque Pro app for $5. You can monitor a lot of engine parameters with the interface. Coming back to Texas from Connecticut, I mounted my cell phone with a vent mount and monitored boost, MPG and coolant temperature. :)

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
center mounted and it's sweet! hardly ever see the needle move since i don't get into boost a whole lot, but at night it lights up an exact match to the stock cluster. very nice part! best of all, had a spare boost pipe that was already tapped for the gauge, so I didn't even have to ruin a boost pipe to put it in, so totally reversible.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a dual gauge podto mount on top of the steering wheel that I need to install. I have been having boost control issues and trying to look at the a-pillar and the tachometer at the same time has proven to engage my rev limiter on too many occasions. I have a boost gauge and an EGT gauge that are from different manufacturers, so I am glad nobody else has to drive my car. :)

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Nice, I put funds into a new N75 as I discovered the one I had was very lazy when I swapped it out with the n18. Going to have to wait a bit for the boost gauge but wow what a difference in response and much better overboost control!

If you guys want, post photos of your gauges as I'm sure it will help others in the future!