Power Steering problem please help

4Golf

TDI
VW Golf Mk4 Gt Tdi 130Bph
On my mk4 golf does anyone know why I now have a problem with the steering wheel when turning it left or right with engine off its making a creaking sound in places and there's also a resistance when hearing the sound.

This is since fitting a new rack, pump and pressure hose and flushing the system. When I start the engine the sound disappears and I have no resistance almost until the steering wheel is turned to the right stop. I thought it was air in the system and turned steering to full lock either side countless times with engine off and also ticking over and it hasn't improved much maybe a little.

The resistance seems to change and sometimes increases and decreases but after several attempts to turn the steering wheel lock to lock it's still there. All help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Golf

TDI
Hi craig01b thanks for your help. The tie rods aren't connected to the hubs yet so can't be that I'm afraid but nearly wish it was

4Golf

TDI
The pump is a brand new reconditioned one and the problem is mainly noticeable with engine off. This is my second time replacing a rack within about 12 months. The fist replacement rack was a used one but looked to be in good condition. The steering fluid leaked out both sides of both racks at the bellows/gaiters leaving me with no power steering and a dry pump till I limped home twice.

After inspecting the drained fluid the 2nd time it was contaminated with a black grease oily looking stuff and I had put Dealers fluid in it last time. I believe the pressure hose may have been deteriorating inside internally which may have been the source of contamination and possibly cause of fluid getting past seals in the racks eventually.

I've rang around and found out that these racks are a common problem and breakers sell them regularly. This is why I decided not to take any more chances as I could be changing another one in another 12 months or maybe less. I believe since the first time the pump went dry and with the replacement rack the power steering has been a bit heavier and since the pump was ran dry again I decided to renew it also and maybe it could have been cause of contamination too.

4Golf

TDI
New replacement rack fitted and much better, thanks to everyone here for your help I really appreciate it ?

4Golf

TDI
Just have a car that won't start now instead, posted in a new topic, the domino effect drives me mad!