oem spec for head valves protrution from head gasket side

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
OEM spec for head valves protrusion from head gasket surface side. could someone help me need this UNMOLESTED OEM measurement.thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Being a little facetious ......... not much! But, on the otherhand, it doesn't matter as long as they don't touch the pistons.

Quick story;
A friend of mine had the head from his 98 NB milled. The shop that done the milling cut it too much and also used a dull cutter. Well, I took the head to a nearby town with a very reputable machine shop. They wet ground the head to clean it up. Well, at that point, it was cut to the max....... in fact, we actually cut the valve seats and the valves just a little to move them away from the pistons. I also ground a little off the ends of the valve stems (not recommended) to account for them seating deeper in the head (could have affect the lifters, otherwise)

That has been about five years ago. The last I heard, that NB was doing just fine.

Last edited:

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
ts nice for saving money but oem is a good system 50mpg and a great motor on these cars .

Being a little facetious ......... not much! But, on the otherhand, it doesn't matter as long as they don't touch the pistons.

Quick story;
A friend of mine had the head from his 98 NB milled. The shop that done the milling cut it too much and also used a dull cutter. Well, I took the head to a nearby town with a very reputable machine shop. They wet ground the head to clean it up. Well, at that point, it was cut to the max....... in fact, we actually cut the valve seats and the valves just a little to move them away from the pistons. I also ground a little off the ends of the valve stems (not recommended) to account for them seating deeper in the head (could have affect the lifters, otherwise)

That has been about five years ago. The last I heard, that NB was doing just fine.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
ALH engine

Sam, I did not give all the details relating to the head milling botch.

The dude that owned the car was a cheapskate........... after the screw-up, he was given options! Those were the ones he chose.

I was just sharing a story!

If it had been my engine, I would have installed a new head, no question!

And, check my sig and you will see that I am very much aware of the quality of the ALH engine and how well it performs!;)

Mavjohn

TDI
1.9 alh manual, 1.9 alh automatic
I know this is an old post but for any one wondering for future reference my machine shop told me the max allowable valve protrusion is 0.025"

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I know this is an old post but for any one wondering for future reference my machine shop told me the max allowable valve protrusion is 0.025"
PM 'Franko6'. He will know.

It has been a while but I believe that .025" is right for the ALH.