Question: What's my TDI worth

Hamloaf

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 speed
My wife and I are thinking of selling our 2006 5 speed TDI. It has 240K miles. Looks great inside and out has a new touch screen radio/multi CD player.

The problem is I when online to see what other TDIs are going for in my area and cannot find any for sale. I remember when I wanted to buy one it was hard to find one then as well. I don't know how to gauge its value. I feel KBB probably under prices it from what I have read other places.

As we all know :) TDIs are awesome and manuals are so much fun and buyers are usually seeking them out. Anyone have a good idea what mine is worth?

Thanks!

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
A car, or anything for that matter is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Diesels do seem to go at a premium here and any one that pops up in good condition disappears rapidly.

There are zonal differences in pricing and KBB can not be trusted for an actual curbside price. All the car dealers I know use NADA guides, but they too are off on the diesel pricing from curbside.

Watch the values of cars selling in your area, or nearby to get an idea. If you list it too low the first caller will snatch it up, list it too high and you get no callers. Might have to feel the waters so to speak to get an idea. Just start high is my recommend.

I share a building and lot with a used car dealer and TDIs are few and far between and when one pops up it does not linger long, so popularity is another price factor.

Hamloaf

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Thank you for your quick response. I think we will do like you said and start high. We are not very motivated to sell it anyway, we love it but are just afraid that it is near the point of ''nickel and diming'' us. The engine is great but we have started to have to replace bearings and other things that any car with so many mile on it would need replaced. We would like to upgrade to a newer model eventually. Maybe start out at around $6,000? I checked craigslist and there is literally no TDI manuals in our state and in surrounding areas (besides one that was selling for 16k, which is way out of our price range).

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan, 05 Passat sedan
You can toggle the display options at the bottom of the for sale page here to look back at past ads.

Fooberts was a great tool in the past but a search tool like searchtempest for craigslist can expand your search radius for info. Also local fuel prices and regulations play into your local market. You have flat land, a realitivly salt free environment and diesel fuel that is not overtaxed as in PA.

CL eastern shore, Baltimore or Annapolis should be similar

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
without seeing it id offer 5k. if you post on CL for 6500 that would be a good start and then see what happens.

if you have all the records from when the timing belt was done and can show the oil was changed and with the correct type that helps too.