Bleeding the clutch fluid solo?

lukelbd

TDI
2004 TDI Jetta Wagon (BEW)
To bleed my brake lines, I use this special bleeder bottle
from amazon, which prevents air from coming back into the system when releasing the brake pedal.

However I noticed from the myturbodiesel guide that the clutch fluid needs special considerations -- they recommend pressing the pedal all the way down once, and closing the bleeder valve each time, instead of pumping.

How could I adapt this to a solo method? Would I need a brick or something to hold the pedal down every time?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
That bottle thing you have is effectively closing the bleeder, that's the idea of it. You can also hook a pipe from the front left brake calliper bleeder to the clutch slave bleeder, open both then gently pump the brake pedal, that will push any air up and out the reservoir.

lukelbd

TDI
2004 TDI Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Cool, so because I'm using this bottle, the procedure with the clutch pedal is exactly the same as the procedure with the brake pedal?

I wish the service manual or the myturbodiesel guide mentioned this solo method; seems like the best of both worlds in that you can do the job with cheap, simple equipment and without annoying a friend/spouse.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I prefer a vacuum pump for the brakes, you can rent them at parts stores.
I believe that pressure rather than vacuum is preferred for the slave cylinder though.