Desler/Code issues

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
my first new car ever. scored with less then 60 miles on it. dealer is already trying to jack me around.

i copied and pasted the codes, said they would look at it, ontop of the fact the scheduled appointment was to fix the gasket in the 3rd brake light lens. ( understandable, gasket was already 2 years old...)

So it was dropped off for that, mentioned these codes, on phone and in email. After i got the car back (gf dropped off and picked up, i wasn't in town to make the appointment), i got a call, said it was done, i asked about the codes, really didn't get a definite answer, said just don't worry about them. I said alright. I got a call follow up few days later asking how the service was, i said it was good, lens hasn't fallen out yet.

a day after that i get a repair invoice in the mail, and nothing is mentioned of the codes. ***!?

quick run out and juice up the laptop. sure enough, the 2 codes i mentioned are there, and then some more!! i'm not even hitting 500 miles yet!!

i'm grumpy of not the fact there's issues with the car, **** happens. **** breaks. this new world makes ****. understandable. I'm grumpy of how the dealer is being shady and pretending like i'm just another driver, when in fact i'm pointing out issues, and am being bluntly ignored. the oil cooler valve code from the gearbox has gotten me stirred up even more.

I haven't done anything yet, figured what you guys would suggest, as i'm sure several others have nbeen down this dealerfuk road. should i show them this read out? take it back and play stupid? take it back, show this read out, and be a dick?

here's the paste. If you want me to post a follow up with the complete readout i will, but i'm just listing the boxes spitting out codes for the time being to keep the thread length minimal. 10 posts doesn't mean anything with 1 post is 10 trillion characters.

VIN: 3VWCA7AU5FM5xxxxx License Plate:

Chassis Type: AU (5Q0)
Scan: 01 02 03 05 08 09 15 16 17 19 2B 42 44 52 5F 75

VIN: 3VWCA7AU5FM5xxxxx Mileage: 737km-457miles

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
2B-Steer. Col. Lock -- Status: Malfunction 0010
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000
75-Telematics -- Status: OK 0000

Address 02: Auto Trans (J743) Labels: 0D9-927-770.clb
Part No SW: 0D9 300 041 N HW: 02E 927 770 AQ
Component: DQ250-6F MQB H53 4512
Revision: 03253104 Serial number: TFK01502141914
Coding: 0014
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00202
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDQ250021 001001
ROD: EV_TCMDQ250021.rod
VCID: 236B14C92AE3D859D4-8076

2 Faults Found:
10906 - Cooling Oil Valve
P179D 00 [002] - Electrical Malfunction
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

10763 - Starter Enable from Selector Lever Sensor System
P1734 00 [002] - -
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 5Q0-937-08X-BV1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 937 087 Q HW: 5Q0 937 087 Q
Component: BCM PQ37BOSCH 028 0145
Revision: -------- Serial number: 86580203151176
Coding: 000118424041804169E44000000403001800000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00224
ASAM Dataset: EV_BodyContrModul1UDSBosc 014004
ROD: EV_BCMBOSCH_014.rod
VCID: 49B7A661E88F22097E-801C

Control Unit For Wiper Motor:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5GM 955 119 HW: 5GM 955 119 Labels: 5QX-955-119-V1.CLB
Component: WWS 140902 043 0581
Serial number: 150416072736
Coding: 0E4DDD

1 Fault Found:
329480 - Heated Passenger Seat
B1806 F0 [008] - Safety Shut-Off due to Occupant Detection
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 18
Reset counter: 75
Mileage: 233 km
Date: 2017.04.22
Time: 21:11:51

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 2B: Steer. Col. Lock (J764) Labels: 5Q0-905-861.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 905 861 A HW: 5Q0 905 861 A
Component: ELV-MQBA H01 0120
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 15000057178005
Coding: 5D00000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 07029
ASAM Dataset: EV_ELVMarquMQB 004111
ROD: EV_ELVMarquMQB_SK25.rod
VCID: 3449E7959F0D4FE13D-8060

1 Fault Found:
13637388 - Databus
U1123 00 [008] - Received Error Message
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 60

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 01:37)--------------------------

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
a call to the service rep which will include that you are calling corporate to ask why you as a new customer when they VW are trying to make it right, are singled out ,as soon as they hang up with you ..

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
That was a very difficult early morning deciphering reply. Haha. But thanks. I'll call the dealer and stir it up more.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Quoted email :

"I had them check them as a favor to me but if you want to have the others checked out as well just call xxx-xxx-xxxx and ask to schedule a service appointment but you are going to want to tell them you have a hesitation in the car so that when you come in we can scan it and run the codes as without a check engine light we won’t get paid for running diagnostics because someone used their own scan tool and found codes. I do know that due to the complexity of cars today there are often times codes get thrown but only once and never get thrown again so they won’t trigger a check engine light as there isn’t an issue. I would refrain from using your scan tool at all as there will likely be codes that pop up from time to time which is normal and unless you have a fault light that comes you really don’t need to do anything."

Seeds to me they don't want to budge, or is this a legitimate dealer scenario? No service light defaults to no work? But we all know there's a few thousand codes that are chassis related that will never trigger a service light.

Opinions on next move?

I thought about partially unplugging a sensor somewhere that doesn't have a safety latch lock to trigger a light just to get it in the door if they want to play this game, which I feel is completely unnecessary....

I have yet to email the rep my scan results. I'm not sure if it's valid ammo to point out these are not emission codes...

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
Honestly, if it were me, I'd probably try clearing the codes and seeing if they come back. If they do, then talk to the dealer again. If the dealer still doesn't want to help you, then I think you need to find another dealership.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
My reply to his response, and his follow up is posted.

He's not budging.... I'm just going to clear them as you suggested and move on. If they reappear, and without a light, how can I enforce warranty work? Regardless it sounds like I need to visit a different dealer.....

-----------

####,*

I seem to be confused, as you mentioned the service department to scan for codes, then the work invoice I was mailed should of mentioned the labor/action of scanning for codes, which it does not.*

I'm just making sure there is no misunderstanding.

Thanks, Jason

--------------

Jason,

I had one of my techs scan it quickly for me to check the codes that was all there was no further action to take so we were not able to write it up so it won’t show on the invoice you got.

Thanks

####

--------

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Update. As probably saw in another thread, it's getting dropped off tomorrow. I complained stupidly of pushing the gas pedal and rpms went up but the car speed didn't increase.

I'll keep posted...

15jetta_leftover

TDI
2015 jetta
Update. As probably saw in another thread, it's getting dropped off tomorrow. I complained stupidly of pushing the gas pedal and rpms went up but the car speed didn't increase.

I'll keep posted...

Dealers cant fix anything based on what you see with a scanner... they have to verify all concerns. Not because they dont believe you or trust you but simply because vwag will not pay ANY warranty repairs without stuff to back it up... Also do what the dealer will do... clear the codes IF you notice anything not working present the concern. A fault code for a malfunction doesnt always mean somethings broken... infact i have a history code for a sunroof malfunction... i dont have a sunroof. Should i raise hell and demand a sunroof?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Maybe a wrong coded module? They have heated seats checked in my module.... Yet they are not installed.

Really my only push is the oil cooler. That seems odd. I'll let them look at it and address it (maybe), but seems from now on I'm doing my own work, warrantied or not.

It really feels like even if I can address and issue that might possibly be covered under warranty, they don't care. If they don't address or witness it themselves, and the vehicle makes the warranty period, they win.

Sad for the buyer , unfortunately.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
"Clearing the codes" is not part of any diagnostic procedure and is not recommended for troubleshooting. The way troubleshooting procedures work is that once the problem is fixed you clear the codes.

Any dealer that tells you they need to see a MIL light before they can do anything is an imbecile. Many techs have no clue on what a MIL light means or how to diagnose a problem.....................

What a MIL light or even a code without a lMIL light means is that the ECU has seen some measured perimeter that is implausible so it reports it. It is suppose to be up to the tech to figure out why the the code was set, not clear the code and then tell you to take a hike.

Last edited:

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
There are no symptoms, no MIL/CEL.

If every single owner had a scanner and went to the dealership with these codes, they would never get anything done or they would charge you a diagnostic fee every time just to tell you that there is nothing wrong.

With no issues and no MIL/CEL, you have nothing to push a dealer on. And I'd have to agree with them.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
It's a double edged sword.

On my 09, fans would randomly and intermittently run.

It never overheated, no light, but vcds was blowing up with codes.

Passenger door lock always worked, but module was reporting intermittent motor issues, all other doors ok.

Radio complained of bad antenna connection yet all the stations I choose to listen to were crystal clear.

I can go on and on, but Point being, if they "worked", and no CEL, I'm forced to continue running vehicle with issues?

It's truly unfair.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Well, they couldn't fix anything, no stored codes...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of times there are stored DTCs in various modules, and nothing is currently "wrong". This is common, especially on German makes. One of the things done during PDI at both Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz was to "check and purge faults", and check for any software updates. Seriously, a brand new S-class could have an hours worth of updates since the car left the factory and got to the dealership, not to mention anti-theft verification.

I think Volkswagen used to even include in the PM schedule something about checking and clearing DTCs.

I can tell you that any information brought to them from an outside source, unofficial VAG scan tool, will be dismissed outright. And there is probably some chuckling going on behind the scenes. :)

I bet if you lined up 50 brand new cars, and interrogated all the modules in all of them, 20 would have DTCs stored somewhere. I have worked for three major manufacturers, as well as countless cars in the independent field. DTCs are pretty common. It is when the associated ECU sees the problem often enough that a warning light comes on (where applicable) or if there is some strange behavior, is when you need to be concerned.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I guess I'll clear them and see if they reappear immediately. All I can really do.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Well, just got time to scan it.

They cleared gearbox codes. Didn't clear the code from the central electric module. Yet the work invoice says no codes. Seems they choose to print what codes are needed to be known by customer. Not sure if this is a vw thing or just this dealer.

I cleared the stragglers, nothing has reappeared so far.

Onto recoding central electrical to enable a fuzz more creature comforts (on a s trim) to make it more useful then factory setup.