MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

TDIGUY03

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI BLK/BLK (SOLD), 2015 Golf TDI SE, 2011 Golf Sportwagon TDI (Traded for 2018 Atlas)
Well I now have a full year of driving data on my 2105 Golf, I pulled up my old logs for my 2003 Golf to compare.

Best Tank was 4.99 L/100 km - 934 Km on the tank (almost hit 600 Miles)
Worst Tank was 6.42 L/100 km - Mid January Canadian Cold and too many short trips
Average over 45 Fill ups 35,000 Km is 5.81 L/100 km

Best Tank was 4.33 L/100 km - 1422 Km on the tank (long Highway trip over 2 days with only 3 stops including the overnight first leg was 750 km straight no stops)
Worst Tank was 8.42 L/100 km - Towing a boat, roof rack on with 2 bikes and a kayak.
Average over 453 Fill ups and 422,000 Km is 5.75 L/100 km

12 years newer and still cant beat the mileage of my old car but pretty darn close numbers and I am still breaking in the 2105 at 35,000 Km right now.
I expect the numbers to improve as I go and get even closer to matching.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Well I now have a full year of driving data on my 2105 Golf, I pulled up my old logs for my 2003 Golf to compare.

2015 <snip> Average over 45 Fill ups 35,000 Km is 5.81 L/100 km <snip>
Curious, if you can pull up the data w/o too much hassle, how do they compare:
- Over the first 45 fills (not 45 v. 453)?
- At ~ the amount of fuel that went in the 2015 over 45 fills?
- At ~ the distance of the 45 fills in the 2015 (~ 35k km on both, not 35k v. 422k)?
- Whether you are able to say your drive cycle during those comparisons would be nominally identical or different in a way you could define?

Thanks in advance, if you are able to tease this out.

Last edited:

TDIGUY03

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI BLK/BLK (SOLD), 2015 Golf TDI SE, 2011 Golf Sportwagon TDI (Traded for 2018 Atlas)
Sure, Not too hard at all, It is already in my spreadsheet.
First 45 Fills in the 2003 was more long trips than the 2015.
12 years ago I had no kids and my wife and I would go on more weekend road trip than we do now. I am now also in sales so I am on the road most days making more short trips. Road trips get me closer to the old numbers but not quite there yet. I am heading out in the morning to go camping. about 600 Km each way to the site and looking to see what i can get on a nice highway run.

Best price i ever paid for Diesel was $0.569/L in 2003 $2.154/Gallon
Highest Price i ever paid for Diesel was $1.459/L in 2008 $5.523/Gallon
Right now we are closer to the lower end around $0.899/L $3.410/Gallon

Fuel used at 35,000 Km
2003: 34,834 Km - 1,900.25 L Avg 5.46 L/100 Km
2015: 34,711 Km - 2,016.69 L Avg 5.81 L/100 Km

45 Fills on 2015 = 34,711
45 Fills on 2003 = 37,626

Tank Volume
Max: 48.98L
Avg: 44.82L

Max: 61.83L
Avg: 53.44 L

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Finally.

Just an update, my first 50+ MPG tank.

I always visually top off and buy fuel from the same cheap Speedway store.

Filled 7/29->8/11: traveled 580.5 miles, filled 11.426 US gallons. 50.801 MPG (computer estimate 54.1@38mph)
Filled 8/11->8/26: traveled 595.8 miles, filled 11.74 US gallons. 50.74 MPG (computer estimate 53.6@39mph)

In both cases the low fuel light just came on, estimating that I had another 60 miles left to go. I wonder how much more fuel I am putting in the tank by filling it to the neck on the MK7 TDI?

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
6 speed manual Spokane wa t o Yakima wa 225 miles each way. Once a week round trip for the last year and a half. 44000 miles. 42 winter 46 mpg summer, speed 73 mph. My 2002 Jetta ALH did better even thought it was turning 2500 rpm sat 70 mph

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Fuel mileage has taken a dump...

After the one year 10K service (done at 7500 miles) Prior to that service I was getting a GPS recorded 50 MPG average highway. (Shell or Varalo D2)

Several weeks ago, a few sensors were replaced under warranty, also I began using Chevron D2, instead of Shell D2. (Chevron offers 10 cent a gallon discount first 60 days of CC account) Shell offers .05 discount.

I'm going back to Shell D2, but I'm wondering if Chevron D2 is lower quality? I'm now getting 40.1 highway average.

Any one with experience along that question?

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Car at around 5200 miles, commute to work and back this morning
Some hypermiling speed 55-60mph
To work

Drive back home

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Looking good. Remember the display reads 5-7% high. Use fuelly or calculator and let us know how the tanks works out.
Will do, how do you make sure you are stopping at the same point at the pump? do you just put diesel until the pump click off with no topping and use the same pump every time for accuracy?

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Will do, how do you make sure you are stopping at the same point at the pump? do you just put diesel until the pump click off with no topping and use the same pump every time for accuracy?
I personally fill using the slow auto setting and then top off after it stops at least once. There isn't any charcoal canister to ruin. But overflow is bad. In the end it all averages out if you don't fill exactly the same way each time. But I try to.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I personally fill using the slow auto setting and then top off after it stops at least once. There isn't any charcoal canister to ruin. But overflow is bad. In the end it all averages out if you don't fill exactly the same way each time. But I try to.
Thanks

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Car at around 5200 miles, commute to work and back this morning
Some hypermiling speed 55-60mph
Only 5200 miles!? Wow.
Here's my best ever "commute" with MFD adjusted to read 8% worse (so it's actually accurate)

My Golf now has 56k miles on it and I no longer commute with it, so it will stay in the garage mostly now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Amazing mpg, yeah my tdi spent some time parked in the garage after i bought it.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Cane-

I've done almost 6 months worth of hand calculating mpg's on my 2015 golf tdi, especially noting fuel volumes compared to the fuel gauge hash marks. Lets assume (a best case scenario) where you fill the tank up until you see diesel fuel right up to the spring cover flap. Now if you run it down to the line in the first picture (the one showing a comp est. 62.9mpg) you've consumed very close to 9.0 gallons. So in the first picture your true averaged MPG is 48.92

The second picture, the particular fuel line corresponds to 10 gallons consumed so your true average is closer to 47.7MPG

Both these MPG's are based on the assumption that one tops off the fill. Most people just wait till the pump 'clicks' off, and in that case you would have consumed even less fuel probably putting you probably closer to 50mpg.

Either case, those are very solid numbers, but a far cry from the outlandish computer estimate.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
After being able to sometimes squeeze as many as 60L (15.5 US gal) into my ventecotmied 2003 Jetta wagon (after ~1200km/750miles), I'm more than a little disappointed to not have hit 800km/500mi out of tank yet. And with range showing 30miles, I can barely get 10gal. into the supposed 13.2gal. tank.

Is the range indicator being overly protective of me? Is there a secret to squeezing more fuel into that tank (akin to the Mk4 ventectomy)?

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
After being able to sometimes squeeze as many as 60L (15.5 US gal) into my ventecotmied 2003 Jetta wagon (after ~1200km/750miles), I'm more than a little disappointed to not have hit 800km/500mi out of tank yet. And with range showing 30miles, I can barely get 10gal. into the supposed 13.2gal. tank.

Is the range indicator being overly protective of me? Is there a secret to squeezing more fuel into that tank (akin to the Mk4 ventectomy)?
Do you have a Mk7? If so, it is generally agreed upon that the engineers lie to us with the range remaining. Thus resulting in larger 'heat sink' of diesel in the tank thus resulting in cooler temps on the high pressure fuel pump. Cooler temperature should mean longer HPFP life.

I just did my best tank and went 747 miles and put in 12.775. This was about 15 miles past zero on the display. I have 2015 TDI SEL 6MT

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
TurnOne- That is an amazing MPG. May I ask are you using some additive or have some mods to your golf?

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
TurnOne- That is an amazing MPG. May I ask are you using some additive or have some mods to your golf?
My car is 100% stock. OEM wheels and tires. No engine mods or additives of any sort. I'm so impressed with this car and engine. My tires are 18" and not narrow in the slightest. I do keep the tires at 40-45 psi.
I went 200 more miles after filling up on the way home from Chicago. Display currently reading just over 67 mpg. I don't want to drive it with the cold weather because it will drop like a rock. :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Given that I just only yesterday got 750km out of a tank, that's mighty impressive!

I have noticed, though, that driving at 100km/h, with revs around 1800rpm, the live fuel consumption reading is pretty high. Much better than the 45mpg I'm typically getting on my 120km/h trips.

So, I'm guessing you're driving a little more sedately than I, or maybe on busy freeways where there's lots of drafting available from traffic.

But still - I have no idea how I'd get 12.75g in my GSW fuel tank.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I just did my best tank and went 747 miles and put in 12.775. This was about 15 miles past zero on the display. I have 2015 TDI SEL 6MT
That is certainly a feat in these cars! I run the stock 38psi in my Golf SEL, not too found of it getting any harsher though I wonder if I should try it for just one tank! The fact you're getting that out of the car stock is also to be noted. Both my 700+ tanks came after upgrading the exhaust, though 70mph+ during my old commute doesn't help either.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I am hunting for a new S Sportwagen with manual transmission.
Anybody know where any are sitting. I prefer the Tungsten with Anthracite/ black interior. PM if you know any dealers willing to deal on one.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I am hunting for a new S Sportwagen with manual transmission.
Anybody know where any are sitting. I prefer the Tungsten with Anthracite/ black interior. PM if you know any dealers willing to deal on one.
I did a search for stick shift GSW's at every VW dealer in Mass, CT, RI, VT, NH, & Maine, plus most of upstate NY (Hudson Valley along I87 to Canada and I88 from PA to Albany), plus some of PA. There were 6 GSW with MT available. Of these, my wife bought one. Of the 6, three were only available b/c someone had backed out within the last 24 hours. The remaining 3 were available b/c they were not yet on the Dealer's primary lots- they were still at offsite locations.

Colonial VW of Medford: GSW SE (Tungsten?)
Prime VW of Portland : GSW S (silver?)
Rowe VW of Auburn: GSW S (white?)
Lia VW of Enfield: GSW S (white?)
Fathers & Sons VW of Springfield: GSW S (Dark blue?)

This search is now almost 4 days old, so some of these will be gone. Although the big volume dealers had more selection, the dealers that require more travel (and have a smaller buying population) seemed to offer a better shot at finding a stick. This may be true in other locations.

The stories each dealer told me regarding the efforts and travel that buyers were undergoing to get a MT were consistent in their message: The MT GSW's (and other MT TDIs in general) were the most sought after, and buyers were traveling long distances to get them. Color choices and option choices were pretty limited. There were a few other models out there, with the only really rare one being the MT TDI Beetle. "If you find one you want, put a deposit on it," was a common refrain.

Caveat: There are more MT's out there. The dealers don't always have a good grip on the cars that were stored offsite, and many dealers seemed to have one "diesel guy" who was the point of contact for overseeing their sales. When I did talk to this person (and I always tried to), they commonly had 3 messages:

1) "Let me check the other lot and the updated paperwork and call you back." This resulted in finding 3 MT TDIs that the initial salesperson said didn't exist.

2) "We have some that haven't had the fix done yet, so those will be for sale soon." Most dealers are happy to sell these and then fix them, others seem confused by such an idea!

3) "We think we might get more, but we don't know when." Hmmmm.

I found what we were (mostly looking for) at a place that had 3 GSW S in MT remaining. Two were at an offsite lot and the initial salesman I spoke to wasn't aware of them. The "diesel guy" for that dealership called me back and had to drive to the lot to confirm colors, trim, and transmission. The third was at the dealer lot, and had initially been held on deposit for someone 8 hours away (who found one closer). I offered to put a deposit on one, but the salesman assured me it would be there for us 12 hours later (it was).

BTW, the MT one on their lot had a new "sold" sign on the dash- someone else bought it in the few hours the dealer had been open and it had been available.

Perhaps the Midwest is a better hunting ground!

Hope this helps.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
I just drove my 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI with 6-speed manual from the dealer in Boulder, CO to Bend, OR. 23.16 gallons to go 1085 miles (which is 45 miles less than actual distance due to tow after rock strike/two tires blown out). I drove the speed limit all the way, almost exclusively 65 to 80 mph. Air conditioning was used for 380 miles of the trip. I did the same trip three years ago in a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 6-speed manual and only got 38 MPG at similar speeds and same time of year.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I've put 2 tanks through mine locally and then drove from VA to WI.
Best tank is 605 miles at actual 49.4 mpg (car calculated at 54 mpg).
Actual 45.4 mpg total average from new at 184 miles to present at 1518 miles.
GSW S with manual.

Douglas C49J old

TDI
2004 Golf, 2015 Golf Wagen
Good to hear!

:)Thanks for the encouraging MPG guys! I made over 30 phone calls 3 weeks ago and finally found a GSW S in Littleton CO - red with beige interior. Not my first color choice but glad to find it - and head out in 5 days to drive it over 1500 miles home. I kept my 04 Golf tires at 44psi so will pump up the 2015 to at least 40 before I depart. BTW: Never believe the MPG readouts in ANY car. Only seen one vehicle I have ever owned/rented that read low - a Fiat 500. Others - including my Boxster - are regularly 2-4 mpg high. Figure it the old fashioned way!

RichF

TDI
2015 Golf SEL Manual Platinum Gray Metallic
Took Delivery May17
1st tank 37.1
2nd 44.1
3rd 41.6
4th 43.8 (june 10th)
All Long Island driving, breaking in engine as per recommended on this forum

Last edited:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Made my first 700 mile tank. It was 705 miles on 12.98 gallons which comes to 54.2 mpg. The computer said I had 15 miles left. I'd say the 70% of the tank was driven on the interstate at an actual 68 mph and 30% two lane roads at 62 mph actual. Winds overall I'd say were negligible, not much headwind or tailwind. So who's going to be the first person to break 800 miles or has someone already done it?? Although difficult I'd say not impossible.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I'm impressed at the fuel economy of my MK7 GSW. Drove from Cincinnati to the Cleveland area. 228 miles 3.94 gallons = 57.9 mpg. The guess-o-meter on the dash indicated 63 mpg but I know that is BS. I typically drove the posted 70 mph speed limit and passed anybody going slow at 75 mph so I would not impede traffic. I had to do a few evasive maneuvers to avoid not being hit by mad max truck drivers passing in the slow lane (basically trying to drive through me) and fools trying to keep up with a wolf pack while texting. Temps were in the mid to upper 80's & I ran the AC the whole way. I believe I had a bit of a tail wind from the front coming through yesterday which helped.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Wow, I am glad most others are getting this mileage. However I have not been so lucky.
My GSW 6m had 193 miles on it and presumably a full tank of diesel when I picked it up in El Paso.
For a week or so I drove it my usual commute which is about 60% city and 40 highway. I go early enough that I rarely hit more than two or three lights.
In my 2010 Jetta I averaged 42 mpg in this scenario.

I drove the Golf on a road trip, 1020 miles each way.
All interstate, varying speed between 75 and 82.
It was windy but I don't believe that would kill my mileage down to 39. I had two adults, two children and my wagon was stuffed full of cargo. AC on.

Last year we did this same trip, same weather and load factor, and our average in the Jetta was 41.
Now the car has 3072 miles and today I calculated 39 mpg when the car said 46 since last fueling.
I expected this kind of mileage until it's broken in more, but I am disappointed in my numbers compared to others.
I am happy however that it's better than most petrol burners. I'll see what happens with this tank, under my normal driving conditions.

Why is my car's mpg calculator so far off?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Just hand calculated my second tank since new. 95% highway.
496 miles / 9.6 imp gallons = 51mpg.

Also looked it up and noticed the tank size is 5 liters smaller going to a 2015 Golf from a 2012 so that explains why I was a bit off in my anticipated range.