Buying my first new car, what do I need? What to expect?

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I'm flying out of state to pick up my 2015 on Saturday, and I've never bought a new car before. I haven't financed one before either.

What I've done:
Prequalified for the loan
Called insurance agent, paid, and got a temp card for the new car

I got the 0% 72 month financing through VW credit, and I plan on arriving with my drivers licence, credit card and checkbook.

Is there anything else I'll need? What fees should I expect? I'm committed to buying it regardless and I have the money in the bank, but I have no idea how much it's going to cost me at the dealership.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Congratulations! Always an exciting, but stressful experience. I would call the dealer to check what you need. I don't know how much you are putting down on the car. You may be able to use a credit card. Sometimes dealers want a certified check, as opposed to a personal check. The finance guy is going to offer you all sorts of add ons (simonize, wheel insurance, dent coverage, extended warranty, etc). Most of it is a money maker for the dealer, so be careful.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Take car for a test drive make sure tires are vibration free. Mine wasn't & ride back home sucked. The dealer did reimburse me for the Road Force. Check all fluids. bring tire gauge, my tires psi was 38 lbs, door jamb calls for 33 lbs on GSW
Check your state, and or county taxes on autos. My state did tax $5,000 re-bate. The dealer was short. They did make good though. I would recommend checking Maintance booklet in glove box & and see if dealer stamped & or filled out the "put in service page". Most dealers don't. BTW my insurance company DID recommend the GAP insurance & they did not offer it. (Progressive). I did take wheel coverage & GAP as I go in f'd up places.

Last edited:

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Congratulations! Always an exciting, but stressful experience. I would call the dealer to check what you need. I don't know how much you are putting down on the car. You may be able to use a credit card. Sometimes dealers want a certified check, as opposed to a personal check. The finance guy is going to offer you all sorts of add ons (simonize, wheel insurance, dent coverage, extended warranty, etc). Most of it is a money maker for the dealer, so be careful.
Thanks for the overview! I called and talked numbers today, I'm good to go with no down payment and all the fees and crap will be included in the loan.

Take car for a test drive make sure tires are vibration free. Mine wasn't & ride back home sucked. The dealer did reimburse me for the Road Force. Check all fluids. bring tire gauge, my tires psi was 38 lbs, door jamb calls for 33 lbs on GSW
Check your state, and or county taxes on autos. My state did tax $5,000 re-bate. The dealer was short. They did make good though. I would recommend checking Maintance booklet in glove box & and see if dealer stamped & or filled out the "put in service page". Most dealers don't. BTW my insurance company DID recommend the GAP insurance & they did not offer it. (Progressive). I did take wheel coverage & GAP as I go in f'd up places.
So the tires were out of balance when you picked it up?

I haven't heard about that page in the maintenance book, but I'll have to take a look when I get there. I'm assuming I want that to be filled out to make sure the warranty doesn't start until I drive it away?

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Tires were out of balance. Car only had 125mi on it dealer probably just drove around block. I did not have any vibration till I got on interstate doing 65.

On booklet. Most dealers do not fill or stamp.

However that is the reason I always bought used MB's every one had a complete maintenance booklet in car showing everything that was done for the life of the car. At least the ones I bought did.
BTW; If anyone is looking for a 15 GSW SE, Ellis VW in Atlanta has 2. DSG though.
I bought mine there. . I would give them 4 stars. Ask for Alex.

Last edited:

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
I bought a 2016 GSW about 18 months ago. I had negotiated the bottom line with all fees taxes license etc. before I stepped foot on the dealer lot. That said they still pushed the add ons which I declined declined declined and stuck to the price that was agreed to.

In Tennessee, your current auto insurance covers any new car purchase automatically (for something like a week or two or three, I can't remember exactly). May or may not be the same for you but you may want to check.

Good luck!