TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-speed, Baltic Green Past: 2001 Golf 4-door, GLS 5-speed
She's pretty... how many miles on her?

GotB100

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Alpine White
Thanks. Just passed 88K miles.
For Tdi diesel fans, this really is a step forward. Never done better than 40 MPG, but with this performance, who cares anyway?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
what kind of maintenance do the BMWs need? timing belt and what not?

GotB100

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Alpine White
what kind of maintenance do the BMWs need? timing belt and what not?
No timing belt. It's a chain good for lifetime.
Lots of info on service intervals out there if you Google "335d maintenance checklist"
BMW uses CBS "Condition Based Service" i.e. it is largely dependent on usage.
That can be pre-empted by tactics like oil changes every 7000 miles (I do this)
Apart from consumable items (tires, brake pads, fluids, wipers) this vehicle has never had a major episode outside some early recall claims on emissions related items flagged by the DDE codes.
The CBU (Carbon Build Up) others experience seems entirely related to fuel quality, EGR duty cycle and patterns of use. Personally I don't use the "drive it like you stole it" approach, but neither do I have lots of short journeys or low speed city traffic.
This vehicle has mainly highway miles on it. And I use a great independent for servicing rather than a BMW dealer.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
For what its worth, none of those links go anywhere.

How does the 335 run on biodiesel?

GotB100

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Alpine White
For what its worth, none of those links go anywhere.

How does the 335 run on biodiesel?
Yours is the first report of trouble with the links. I've had a few checks done and they all work. Maybe your browser settings are affecting things?

My old ALH motored Golf Tdi was fine on B100, but I would not recommend that for the more recent injection technology of the 335d. There are warranty restrictions anyhow. B10 at max.

Blakejc18

TDI
2013 Passat SE, 2014 Jetta
Gorgeous car, it's very tempting. Flexible on the price at all?

Blakejc18

TDI
2013 Passat SE, 2014 Jetta
From my research, it looks like carbon build up cleaning is required like every 50k. Did you have that done already?

GotB100

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Alpine White
From my research, it looks like carbon build up cleaning is required like every 50k. Did you have that done already?
I'm sure there could be vehicles with only that mileage on them that need to deal with CBU. However, even as a Tdi owner I had to deal with that and so do gas engined owners, too. Fact is, if you recirculate exhaust gasses in order to reduce emissions CBU is going to happen. It's only a question of when. Internet stories of low mileage CBU's don't seem to be a statistically significant guide to when it will happen.
As an engineer I looked at the factors I could control that would affect CBU: Short journeys,stop/start traffic, fuel quality. This vehicle has done mostly highway miles all its life and even though I don't use the infamous "drive it like I stole it" technique neither do I putter around everywhere either.
Look, no-one can pretend that CBU will never happen or that doing the cleaning once will prevent CBU again. For those living outside states that use CA emissions rules, the often advocated approach is to do the Alphabet delete ( EGR, SCR, DPF etc) and run a Meth injection setup (in conjunction with an even higher level of tune). Me, I cannot do that, have never had a CBU clean and have no signs ( or codes) that it is imminent.
The tune I have from BPC uses software code to modify the EGR duty cycle ( a bit like I used to do on my ALH motor with VAG-COM) and provides a noticeable increase in torque and power over stock without generating smoke.
Like someone else posted here "450 ft lbs torque for $15K" is darn good value. Drive it and enjoy it.
My needs now are such that I would keep this vehicle if only it were a wagon, so I need to move on.
Anybody know of a good home for it?

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Options, options

Yeah, looks like a real sweet beast.
I was stalking 335d's last spring and only saw one like yours, was near Knoxville.
Don't think it was tuned, had higher miles, and wanted more like $20k.

I switched modes and got a bit more pragmatic (4 kids to haul, and they aren't getting smaller!)

Bought a R320. Haven't tuned it yet, but good for about the same torque.
+AWD wagon. And they can be had for reasonable, paid 12k.

GotB100

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Alpine White
Never bested 40mpg trip average, and that takes some willpower.
My typical is 32-34mpg, without trying.
It depends on conditions of course. 80MPH is 2000rpm in 6th gear. At those revs the motor is already well up the torque curve, so on the straight and level I see an instantaneous MPG readout of 50+ MPG
I drive to enjoy it, not economize on fuel.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Very good!

Glad to see it worked out, very nice car!
Best regards to buyer and seller!