Highest Mileage TDI

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
Bob_Fout said:
Your go-pedal might need to be adjusted... slight movement on my pedal gets a result.
I guess 300K might have that effect. i kinda like it though...makes me easier on the clutch.....but i will check it out when it gets warmer!!

Neous

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Audi Q7
Donny O. said:
BTW i have an accord also...problby older than yours was. it's a 90 with 178K on it.
My accord is a 91 with 187K i still have it using it for dump runs.

cobraser

TDI
jetta,2004,platinum
151,000 miles

Well I have 151,000 miles on an 04 pd jetta tdi. Problems I have encountered are the egr cooler leaking coolant and I now have a glow plug #3 code stored. Other then tires and replacing brakes Its been all good. Runs the same as when I first bought it.

Cobraser

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Whoa! Even with the 10K interval, that's like an oil change every four weeks :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!! I am envious......

-Rich

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
cobraser: Good that you have that many miles.
From now, the maintenance IS what makes our TDI's be longterm "buddies" and friends...:D

The #3 Glow Plug malfunctioning may NOT be #3, it actually may be #2 or just cleaning the G.P. harness could even be the reason the cell light is on! Start with cleaning the contacts on the harness, then worry about the G.P.'s but start with #2 first IF you replace anyone...
Check the threads on G.P.'s and harnesses, they are interesting and SIMPLE!

Let us know what it was :confused:

cobraser said:
Well I have 151,000 miles on an 04 pd jetta tdi. Problems I have encountered are the egr cooler leaking coolant and I now have a glow plug #3 code stored. Other then tires and replacing brakes Its been all good. Runs the same as when I first bought it.

Cobraser

feafg

TDI
04 Jetta PD
04 TDI PD 96,000 already!
getting ready for the timong belt change.
had a problem with cold starts, dealer replaced glow plug harness, fixed the problem.

BigBertha

TDI
2002 A4 Jetta TDI
HI-

I'm a newbie and considering the purchase of a 1998 MKII Jetta TDI with 320K. Owner says the ODO resets after 320K and reads 20K. Is this true?

Is 300K a lot for a Jetta TDI? Apparently it runs really well.

Any thoughts?

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
BigBertha said:
HI-

I'm a newbie and considering the purchase of a 1998 MKII Jetta TDI with 320K. Owner says the ODO resets after 320K and reads 20K. Is this true?

Any thoughts?
well i'm NOT the expert here but since no one else has replied yet I will give my opinion as my car has jsut about that many miles as well. I think as long as the maintenance has been kept up with as it should have been and oil has been changed when needed then the car should still last a while. I was told 500K+ is not unheard of if it has been taken care of. i'm hoping mine will last that long cuz i've stuck way to much in it to have it die now!!

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!

Last edited:

v-dubin'

TDI
golf
I have a 2000 Golf and it has almost 485,000km on it. still runs smooth and strong with no smoke under acceleration.
upon startup there is a little valve clatter and sometimes a puff of smoke. other than that it drives like its new.

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
BigBertha said:
HI-

Any thoughts?
I'm suprised no one responded to this--while this was asked about a month ago, in case the OP sees this...

If Total is not showing on the odometer then yes, it has 320,000 miles. The MKIII's only reset at 300k to zero with Total disappearing. The B4 and A4 cars all keep counting past 300k.
I'm just about to turn 230k. Runs like a top, but I'm going to have to replace the lifters and camshaft at 250k with the next TB job.
-BB

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
BigBertha said:
HI-

Any thoughts?
I haven't been on much lately...

ODO does reset after 300K.

I have a 1198 Jetta TDI, and I bought it used with 123,456 miles logged. Figured that was an omen - just hoped it was a good one. The car was hands down the nicest used car I could find for the money. I now have about 160,000 miles logged, and it is still a strong car. If nothing major happens, I expect at least 300,000, and if the body holds out, no reason not to get 500,000.

I think the 1998's are a whole different character that the newer Jettas. They are more "bare bones", and not quite as luxurious. I think they look more like an economy car, but they drive like something much more expensive.

If you are unsure of the maintenance, bite the bullet and do the full spectrum after you buy the car.

jgg765

TDI
I want to purchase on soon
I am glad I found this forum I am thinking of buying a TDI however, I want to make sure they are reliable. Does anyone have over 500,000 miles or 1 million miles
I have heard of toyotas going 300,000 and up.
I figure since it is a diesel engine it would last even longer into the million mile range. Any info would be great.

SuperHighMileage

TDI
Jetta 2001 Blue 1 350 000 km (not a type O)
How about this :)

I have a Jetta TDI that just pasted 894 000 KM nad if I didn't change my line of work, I would be over 1 000 000 KM this year. :cool: . Started making my own fuel (Biodiesel) last year and hve run 1000 gallons between my wifes TDI Bug and the Jetta.

Can't really complain about the repairs.

G

murraywest

Veteran Member
99.5 at over 225,000

Someone back there said car running than new.

It's really a strange thing, I'd been telling my wife that the car is running better than ever. And then it happened. Left me stranded 280 miles from home. Towed it to a dealership, and corroded computer and harness. Estimated at $1,900 to fix.

Don't buy a TDI because its an "economy" car. I bought mine new for 17K and have spent >8k to keep it going. (MAF's, Transmission, Clutch, Computer, Starters, etc.)

Would I buy another another TDI?

Yes....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Do you think the tranny, clutch, computer or starter (or any of those other non-diesel specific items) would all be fine if you'd bought a 99.5 2.0 or 1.8T gasser?

Your engine has paid for itself and then some. You are STILL money ahead.

fuel4evr

TDI
1991 Jetta
highest mileage

Mine. 1991 Jetta bought new Edmonton AB. now live in Toronto, 390,000km. been all over Canada & U.S. lots of oil changes, 4 timing belts,brakes,tires mostly routine repairs ie. shocks, struts (needs new struts now and front end bushings) The end is in site now due to Toronto's love affair with road salt. Probably will get 2 more years at most then either completly rebuild or buy new. Hoping new generation diesels are as good as the old ones.

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
updated milage in my sig. did have to finaly replace the factory clutch at 328,000 miles. it still grabbed fine but the throwout bearing went and the clutch would not release when pressed. it even started jsut fine last night leaving work and it was -3 outside.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
A4/243000 A3/25000

I have a 2000 Jetta GLS automatic with 243K +, just routine maintenance, no mods.

My son has a 1999 MkIII Jetta GL 5sp with 250K+, routine maintenance until it became the "DEER KILLER".

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
n1das said:
I still feel like a newbie at "only" 218k miles on my 02 Golf TDI.
13k miles so far on my 05 PD Jetta Wagen (and NO! It's NOT for sale!).
n1das said:
I still feel like a newbie with "only" 236k miles on my 02 Golf and 26k miles on my 05 PD JWagen. :D :cool:
And yet I STILL feel like a newbie with "only" 261k miles on my 02 Golf and 57k miles on my 05 PD JWagen! :D :cool:

Only 4 more oil changes and 2 more fuel filter changes to reach 300k! :cool:

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TornadoRed said:
I haven't posted in this thread, because my Golf's 176k+ miles don't really count as "high mileage".
My Golf still doesn't seem like a high-mileage car.

But as it rolls past 250k miles later this week, I will take a few moments to ask myself, When will it reach the mid-point of its life and begin a slow descent into obsolescence and decrepitude? Based on recent UOA results, that could be another 250k-500k miles.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=198027

All I can say with reasonable certainty is that the breaking-in period is over.

Last edited:

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
354,000 miles and rolling...

My most expensive repair will be a paint job next spring.

BTW- someone said that the ODO resets at 300K... I know for a fact that on a 2000 it does not. :)

-Rich

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
Nutsnbolts said:
354,000 miles and rolling...

My most expensive repair will be a paint job next spring.

BTW- someone said that the ODO resets at 300K... I know for a fact that on a 2000 it does not. :)

-Rich
you could always do that paint job the cheap way and do it yourself with a roller and some rustoleum......if you havn't ran across this growing trend it's all over the net...hot rod magazine even did a old falcon this way. might sound really odd, but I painted my sidecar that way this summer and it looks pretty good. not sold on the color i chose but the paint job looks good and was CHEAP!!! havne't done a final buffing and polishing yet but check it out http://rides.webshots.com/album/559630508GUGsFC

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
cobraser said:

Cobraser

Can you give some details - did you purchase new - did you keep records on oil changes. Did you keep mileage records from new that might show its performance over time.

stilill

TDI
Golf,2005,Black,GLS
im so proud of my 05 golf, just turned 250k miles , a week after his third birthday, regular synthetic oil changes every five k, filters every twenty, i had to replace the power steering unit last winter, and i threw on a new hood when a jeep backed into me, and i replaced the glow plugs at 230k , everything else is stock, no mods aside from drl kill, we even hit a deer with barely a scratch, still avg 42 and getting 46 mpg over hiway rides, BEST CAR EVER

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
stilill said:
im so proud of my 05 golf, just turned 250k miles , a week after his third birthday, regular synthetic oil changes every five k, filters every twenty, i had to replace the power steering unit last winter, and i threw on a new hood when a jeep backed into me, and i replaced the glow plugs at 230k , everything else is stock, no mods aside from drl kill, we even hit a deer with barely a scratch, still avg 42 and getting 46 mpg over hiway rides, BEST CAR EVER
250K miles on which synthetic oil?

Highway miles and 5K OCI:eek: