BRM turbo fit on BEW?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
So I posted last week that I was buying a 2004 Jetta TDI for under $500 in stunning shape, just needed a turbo. The owner obviously didn't know or care about the value of the car, even with a bad turbo. So I bought it and tore it apart, the turbo literally exploded and the exhaust-side turbine wheel actually fell into the exhaust. So I went and found someone who had a very gently used turbo for sale who claimed it was from a BEW. It's a small shop who is very good at fixing and tuning VW's with great customer reviews so I trusted their word. I picked it up for $500 and it looked in awesome shape, the compressor spun freely, 0 shaft play, and it was all good. So I didn't even bring the old turbo to compare, or even bother with a part # check and took it home. I laid it out on the work bench and looked at the broken turbo and noticed big differences like studs where there should be clamps, intake ports going out in way different directions, EGR on exhaust manifold completely mounted differently, etc. I look up the "new" turbo part # and low and behold, it's for a BRM engine. So obviously they won't fit, right? Or can I carry parts over or something? It's no longer fresh in my mind, so forgive me for such a dumb question, if it is...