How to install a heater blower motor?

haydo601

TDI
97 jetta tdi
i just got a 1997 jetta TDI, im new to all this, what i believe is the heater blower motor quit working so i ordered a new one. i got it today and now i wanna put it in but i don't know where it is in the car, or how to go about putting it in! any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

Another question is i would like to know what battery is recommended for the car? last owner of the car said its kinda hard to start in winter because here in the UP of michigan it gets real cold! he said i should buy a new battery but im not sure what to get?

Thanks alot

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
A REAL big battery. reserve capacity is the important part. the correct ones will be over 100 min. The timing might be retarded too causing the hard stasrt and or an issue with the glow plugs.

Blower motor....the whole dash has to come out.....

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Look and price for a battery anywhere. Then go to the dealer and get his price it not that bad.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Nocky said:
Look and price for a battery anywhere. Then go to the dealer and get his price it not that bad.
__. Yeah, in my experience, some shops or battery discounters offer a battery that "will fit" for a quite low price but these batteries always seem to have a much reduced capacity.

__. Do you want to pay $80 for a two year battery or $125 for a five year battery?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
__. I recently changed the heater blower motor on my Jetta but mine is an A4 and is very different from your car. It's a "fiddly" job on the A4 but generally easy and straightforward (you have to remove the center console to get to a hidden screw that must be removed to get the glove box out). I found a "How-To" on VWVortex for the A4 - dunno if there is one for the A3 but it's worth a look.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
haydo601 said:
so in other words its probably not something i should try at home since i dont have much mechanical knowledge?
__. Why don't you post in the "A3" Forum and get info from people with the same model as your car? That should be helpful. On my car, it didn't take any tool that most single mothers wouldn't have in a kitchen drawer. I don't know about the A3's.

__. But it's not looking good. Note the second reply; it's from "Jason TDI" he's a professional mechanic specializing in TDI's. If he says that the "whole dash has to come out" then listen -- he really knows his stuff. But are you *sure* that the blower motor is bad - on my car, the "resistor pack" had screwed up. It turned out that mine actually *was* a bad blower motor but if it just as easily could have been the resistors (dunno if you have resistors on your car). So check (or have someone savvy check) the wiring, fuses, switches, etc.

__. Again, I think you should check out the "A3" forum - somebody likely has had similar problems.

Last edited: