my first ALH oil change

lowrider12

TDI
2003 Golf ALH
I did my first ALH oil change last night, I've done oil changes many times, but never with the paper-filter style.
I used a Mann filter.
When I put the filter in the top cap, it didn't click or anything. I thought maybe Mann had cheapened their design since the youtube vids I watched had been made.
But then I read that Mann filters sometimes have "Top" stamped on the incorrect end.
I felt like it was kind of tough to crank the top cap back down again, but maybe that's just because this was my first time doing this style? I also don't have a proper oil filter wrench thing (very tight fit, popped off the cap while tightening/loosening), I used one similar to this (see below)
My questions are:
1) do Mann filters still "click" into the cap?
2) if yes, can I change the filter again while oil is still in the engine?
Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've never needed a filter wrench, the can is pretty easy to grip.
Never heard of a click in place filter and yes, you can change out the filter without draining the oil.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
It doesnt click, it snugs down by hand until it doesnt move. As bob said you dont need a wrench, if you do you are snugging it down way to much.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I just place the filter in the canister and then put the lid on and screw down to about hand tight...

lowrider12

TDI
2003 Golf ALH
I don't think I overtightened the cap, I just snugged it until the giant o-ring sealed. Basically, how it looked before I started.
I just ordered the proper filter wrench from idparts. My gloves were oily, perhaps I could have turned the cap by hand if I had taken my gloves off.
here is one of two vids where I saw the "click"
(2:20-2:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEJU4Zq65GY

placing the filter inside the canister before capping it makes more sense to me, but both vids showed filter-in-cap.

Thanks

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The click you hear is the filter hitting the top of the cap.
As AndyBees said, I just put the orings on the filter cap, stick the filter in the housing and then screw the cap down.

He puts all that goop on there which is unnecessary! A little oil on the O-rings is sufficient.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You're talking about a click sound when you push the filter on the cap's stem. Yes, I seem to recall hearing that sound. Pretty much can only get the filter on one way. If you look in the filter you'll see that one end is a bit wider inside, this end goes toward the top of the cap.

Be sure to install all new o-rings! (should always come with every new filter)

lowrider12

TDI
2003 Golf ALH
The filter went on the cap/stem with no difficulty, so now I am sure I had it right.
Thank you all for setting my mind at ease. :D

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I don't install the filter on the "cap/stem", I install the filter in the aluminum housing being sure to seat it by pushing it down on it's "post" firmly by hand....make sure filter end marked top is facing up,....and then I install the cap.

If you install it on the cap first there is a good chance that the bottom opening of the filter may catch the edge of the "post" that it should fit over thus not forming a seal and crushing the filter when you tighten the cap down!

If I were you I would take the cap back off and make sure the filter is properly seated on its post and not damaged.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I like to pop the filter in the housing first too. I then can fill the canister with oil before capping it off.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't install the filter on the "cap/stem", I install the filter in the aluminum housing being sure to seat it by pushing it down on it's "post" firmly by hand....make sure filter end marked top is facing up,....and then I install the cap.

If you install it on the cap first there is a good chance that the bottom opening of the filter may catch the edge of the "post" that it should fit over thus not forming a seal and crushing the filter when you tighten the cap down!

If I were you I would take the cap back off and make sure the filter is properly seated on its post and not damaged.
What kind of torque would one have to apply if "crushing" a filter?

Have not had any problems. Next oil change I'll try it this other way.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What kind of torque would one have to apply if "crushing" a filter?

Have not had any problems. Next oil change I'll try it this other way.
Not over torque, but having the filter element misaligned, then installing cap.
I love these 'who can overthink this' threads. Next we'll talk about tires.
For the record, I insert the filter in the base, visually center it, carefully install cap, insuring it fits in the slot. If you install the thing on the cap, it can be harder to align into the base, still doable though.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess I'm not understanding why people find it hard to drop the cap + oil filter into the housing. If people can't do this then I wonder if they should be doing other, more complicated things.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +

+1!! Place the oil filter into the engine first..relax. Then look at the 'spindle' and cap, remember your O-rings, and tighten by hand. It's going to run better than ever before.

-M.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
SCM.com, I agree. I would never, ever thought about sticking the filter on the cap/spindle first.

Interesting notes:

- Actually "popping" the filter element into the filter housing can result in splash-out of oil. :eek:

- I have a weekend mechanic home-made vacuum device I use to remove the oil puddle from the bottom of the filter housing before installing the new filter element. :D (sort of like my diesel purge thingy, home made)

- I've seen spindles with what appeared to be the OE small rubber O-ring still in use... hard as a rock.:rolleyes: Most likely fast oil change places or Wally World did the work, as they have no clue where that small O-ring is supposed to go (if you need eye-glasses, that black spindle doesn't come into focus very well, ....LOL)

- If that small O-ring fails, oil pressure will be compromised tremendously.:mad:

- And, as everyone should know, the big O-ring provides sealing of the cap, not 100 lbs of torque ....... hand tightened is sufficient, in my opinion!:D

More importantly, as my good friend and machine shop owner once said, "very few engines burn a bearing if they have an adequate volume of oil." Thus, I am comfortable with a slight over-fill than the opposite!

Drive more, worry less! :D

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I think that "goo" was lithium grease,I don't see the need for that,like mentioned
just rub some new oil on the seals and go.
Boy did he pile the grease on there, huh?...lol. I do wipe a little grease on the o-rings prior to install, but not that much.

Reading through this thread has been interesting. I've been installing the filter on the cap/stem during oil changes, same as in Thomas's video, but I had no idea it was so dangerous to do so and frowned upon by others.

Learn something new every day.:)