Alh wont start

Kyle51697

TDI
Low mileage 01 ALH Jetta
2 days ago i was driving my alh jetta i came home parked it for about a half hour then came back out to find it wouldnt start so me and a buddy pushed it and i tried pop starting it and lost the passenger engine mount. All the bolts snapped so jacked the engine up took all the broken pieces out and now it sits. It wont start i turn the key and i get a hard click once nothing after that. I can crank the engine by hand just fine. I took a look at the timing belt and found that there was a small rock wedged between the belt on the cam gear so i turned it pulled the rock out.

Also i found that when i line the paint mark on the cam gear up the paint mark on the injection pump does not line up i dont know if this was previously like this.

Any help in the situation?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Pop starting is an art .......... taller gear, such as 3rd or 4th and ease out the clutch.

Hard click --- is that before or after you removed the rock?

I'm not exactly sure how a paint mark on the Cam is suppose to align with one on the Injection Pump. Obviously someone did a "mark and pray" TB job sometime in the past or just marked everything to help confirm that they did the job properly.

So, there is more to checking the timing of the Crankshaft, Camshaft and Injection Pump than looking at paint marks.

I bet if you rotate the engine over a little at a time, you'll most likely see a section with the teeth stripped off the Timing Belt. If so, your engine is now out of time and may have damage to a valve(s) and piston(s).

Remove the Valve cover, rotate the engine so that #1 cylinder is on TDC (cam lobes up at about 10 and 2). And, look at the end of the Cam Shaft (opposite the Sprocket end) to make sure the cut is horizontal with the top of the plane of the head.

Remove the air filter box so you can have a good view of the bell housing on the transmission. Remove the rubber plug so you will be able to see the TDC mark on the Fly Wheel ........... a good work light is your best friend there. If it is out of time you may have to move (rotate) the engine just a wee bit to see the TDC mark on the fly wheel.

Next, with a mirror, search for the alignment hole on the Injection Pump....

.......... hope this helps!

Kyle51697

TDI
Low mileage 01 ALH Jetta
I did not see and skipped teeth on the belt. I will check TDC hopfully this is not the issue.

Thank you this helped alot

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The articles section shows how to get the engine to TDC like Andy says, with pics.

http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/

Click on A4 timing belt change.

Sounds like some one did a mark and pray job and reused the motor mount bolts, maybe even stripped the threads out of the mount.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What's the history here?

This sort of thing just doesn't happen w/o someone screwing something up (Tdijarhead makes mention of this).

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I almost forgot about the small rock between the belt and the cam gear. How is that possible? Do you have even more debris down in the lower belt area? Are you missing one of the three timing belt coves? It might be a good idea to inspect that area.