front end vibration at higher speeds

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Been getting a vibration at higher speeds on the highway lately. It seems to be mostly in the front end, over 80. I really notice it when having a slow turn to the right on the highway too. The only thing I've replaced was the struts a few years back. It is 01 jetta with about 230k on it. I am sure it needs quite a bit of items to make it smooth as it used to be but don't know where to start and what to get. Any help would be great and are the whole kits available to replace all wearable items (who would have the best "kit")?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Swap the wheels front to rear. If there's no change then it's a suspension or drive component in the front.

Driving over 80mph seems a bit excessive (especially someone claiming 55-60 mpg; yes, you have a 6spd, so do I, and at those speeds you're not going to be seeing that kind of mileage). So, either slow down or change your "Fuel Economy" claims (along with fixing the vibration).;):D

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
If there is a change, it's probably a bad or unbalanced tire.
If not, you can take it to a place like Firestone or Total Choice, etc for an evaluation and cost estimate. Accurate or not, it will be a starting place for you.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
If there is a change, it's probably a bad or unbalanced tire.
If not, you can take it to a place like Firestone or Total Choice, etc for an evaluation and cost estimate. Accurate or not, it will be a starting place for you.

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Sometimes you are late for work and need to make up some lost time :) but normally I do drive within the confines of my economy window. I'll try the wheel rotation and see what I get, though I will HAVE to drive 80 again lol. I'll report back the findings.

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Rotated the tires and that took care of the front end vibration. I didn't get any vibration from the back though, I expected I would. Maybe tire is just slightly out of balance and not as critical as on the front?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Rotated the tires and that took care of the front end vibration. I didn't get any vibration from the back though, I expected I would. Maybe tire is just slightly out of balance and not as critical as on the front?
Tire out of balance or a belt shifted...