My $600 '03 Jetta TDI "Vicki"

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Picked her up from Traverse City, MI a few weeks ago for $600 with "electrical issues" stated in the Craigslist ad.
After calling, I found out these electrical issues had gone away after they installed a new battery :confused:, but she was still only asking $600. Reasons being:
-Front and Rear Fascia scrapes
-2 windows would not roll down
-check engine light (she didn't know why, but said they looked at another Jetta with a CEL on, and said it was thermostat, so it was probably the reason on this car......:eek:)
-230,000 miles is a lot of miles for a car in her opinion
After having a buddy look at it, he said it was in great shape, it appeared to have the VW rocker warranty fix, so I went ahead and sent him the money to pick it up. He even talked her into a set of Nokian winter tires to go with the car!
My drive back to my parents, it was obvious the turbo wasn't spooling, and it had a terrible vibration when I hit the brakes, but other than that it seemed solid! It then made the 3 hour drive back to my house slowly, but with no issues.
I haven't had a lot of time to work on it, but so far it has received front brakes and a new tie rod end. I put the passenger front window back on the track, the left rear window motor is dead. The 2 codes it is throwing is 0128 and 0299. I've traced the source of 0128 to a broken plug on the thermostat. The 0299 has proven more frustrating. Looking at service records, it has a new Turbo as of 6 months ago. I've not found any vacuum leaks. I'm in the process of getting a new N75, I took this one apart to clean it, and it was disastrous inside. Hopefully that resolves that code.
In the near future, I'll be taking it to get a new timing belt (I don't have access to a VAGCOM for injection pump retiming). I will put a new serpentine belt on her. I would also like to get the wheels sandblasted and powdercoated white, and add Rally Armour mud flaps to giver her a bit of a rally look.
Anyways, I think I scored a good deal!

Last edited:

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Went ahead and replaced the N75 valve. Took Vicki out for a test drive, no luck, still have no boost and 0299 code. Decided to go ahead and take the EGR and manifold off for a cleaning. EGR valve was disgustingly dirty, so that got a good bath.

EGR:

During this process, I found that one of the bolt that holds the EGR flex tube to the cooler had a stripped hex head, so I couldn't completely remove the tube. Had my buddy weld a bolt to the hex head, put a wrench on it, it started to come out, and then snapped flush in the cooler.:mad:

Trying to decide what my next move is, either going ahead and delete the EGR+cooler, or remove it all to fix.

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Anti seize, anti seize, anti seize! ��
Absolutely. It appears whoever did the repairs for the previous owner, did not use the stock bolt, and they did not anti-seize. That bolt was not fully seated so I suspect the flex pipe was not fully seated against the cooler, which could contribute to some of my issues.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Removing the exhaust gas cooler will make the engine sooooo much easier to work on in the future should you need to. Great score, man!

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Haven't updated this in a while. I had Martin Bergel (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) do the timing belt for me, since I do not own a VAGCOM setup. The underboost code was due to a blocked vacuum line, the blockage being a piece of old turbo actuator.
The EGR is reassembled for now, a delete may be in the future.
There are a few improvements I can still make:
-The air filter needs to be replaced.
-The car is equipped with one of the "bad" 461 MAF sensors, so that is going as well.
-Struts need replacing before winter.
-Glovebox does not latch
Grand total invested so far, just under $1500. Very pleased. First tank after all the repairs, I averaged 48.3MPG.

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Anti seize, anti seize, anti seize! ��
Not just anti-seize, but the correct anti-seize.
Use the copper (high temp) type of Anti-Seize.
The silver (aluminum) type anti-seize used in a hi-temp application can (it's self) cause problems.
I've stopped using the silver (aluminum) anti-seize as it wasn't worth stocking both types and have been using the copper based anti-seize.

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Last night, I replaced the center dog bone, it had a broken off "ear." I broke a bolt in the process, but fortunately was able to weld a nut on and get it out.

I hit the bolt with heat prior to trying to get it off, but apparently I didn't use enough. Bolts were replaced, and in fact I coated them with the copper anti-seize.

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I do, but being that is the weekend after LSPR, I most likely will be wrenching on the rally car. Maybe next year